Sign in to follow this  
mganz121

Better (and cheaper) than a pc upgrade!

I have been running a medium to low end quadcore pc overclocked to 3.4, 8G Ram and a GTX560 Ti. It had been my goal to build a new pc from scratch in the hope that I would get much better performance out of "old faithful" (FSX), particularly with regards to blurriness, niggling stutters and autogen problems.

Like any old school sim addict, I just had to press the buy now button and rush home to install this baby. My first thoughts? No need to build a new pc now!

Buttery smooth and better graphics than I can achieve with FSX. Needless to say I can't push all the sliders to the right just yet, but I don't care at the moment. I am going back to some beautiful low and slow for a while. I'm going to explore Orbx New Zealand with autogen for miles and no popping and blurred scenery to spoil the immersion. I'm going to fly into and back out of those clouds without them spinning on my way through. I'm going to keep the "push button babies" well away from this excellent flightsim for awhile (well maybe with the exception of the Dash). I'm going to challenge myself with back to basics flight simulation and use my hands and eyes.

And then I am going to buy and install that GTX770 4GB and will have my new pc for half the cost that I was originally looking at complete with a new platform that is actively being developed.

Guess what I am saying here is, if you have a lower end pc like me, don't let that be a barrier to entry. I now have a sim that I can grow with and I believe THAT, at the end of the day is what makes this hobby so special once again.

Great News,

while every PC acts unique, mine is quite similar to yours, notably the 560Ti. It behaved quite well in comparison to what I read from others with P3D1.4.

I intend to buy/let me buy P3D2 as a Christmas gift, as I don't have enough time right now for tinkering anyway. Thus, I am really pleased with your findings, thanks a lot for sharing. The upgrade path I am thinking about later might be a GTX 770 as well.

Regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I've just dropped my credit card onto a GTX770 4Gb in preparation for P3D too. Should be arriving tomorrow :smile:

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

That is great to hear.  I have a lower end pc as well (e6750 & ATI 6770), but am in the process of collecting all of the pieces necessary for a new build.  I am, however, interested to see how P3D would work on my current system, unfortunately I have Vista installed, which is a no go for P3D (That is a good thing, by the way.)

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

That is great to hear.  I have a lower end pc as well (e6750 & ATI 6770), but am in the process of collecting all of the pieces necessary for a new build.  I am, however, interested to see how P3D would work on my current system, unfortunately I have Vista installed, which is a no go for P3D (That is a good thing, by the way.)

Mike

I am soooo glad to hear I am not alone!!!

I'm on an E8500 and a 560Ti which ordinarily would not have stopped me from in turn d/l ing, installing P3D v2........and then eventually throwing my mouse through my screen in pure anger!!!!

However, my saving grace is that I am also on Vista too.....and I am perversely thankful for that as it has saved me untold frustration (and not to mention the cost of a new monitor!!)

Regards

Steve (not the only OS dinosaur around here!!)

I have been running a medium to low end quadcore pc overclocked to 3.4, 8G Ram and a GTX560 Ti. It had been my goal to build a new pc from scratch in the hope that I would get much better performance out of "old faithful" (FSX), particularly with regards to blurriness, niggling stutters and autogen problems.

Like any old school sim addict, I just had to press the buy now button and rush home to install this baby. My first thoughts? No need to build a new pc now!

Buttery smooth and better graphics than I can achieve with FSX. Needless to say I can't push all the sliders to the right just yet, but I don't care at the moment. I am going back to some beautiful low and slow for a while. I'm going to explore Orbx New Zealand with autogen for miles and no popping and blurred scenery to spoil the immersion. I'm going to fly into and back out of those clouds without them spinning on my way through. I'm going to keep the "push button babies" well away from this excellent flightsim for awhile (well maybe with the exception of the Dash). I'm going to challenge myself with back to basics flight simulation and use my hands and eyes.

And then I am going to buy and install that GTX770 4GB and will have my new pc for half the cost that I was originally looking at complete with a new platform that is actively being developed.

Guess what I am saying here is, if you have a lower end pc like me, don't let that be a barrier to entry. I now have a sim that I can grow with and I believe THAT, at the end of the day is what makes this hobby so special once again.

Great post and makes perfect sense.

I am planning the purchase tomorrow, but reading about all the ctds and other issues made me think I might delay until the fixes are published. But then again, I really am keen to experience the new environment, shadowing on my new Dell U3011, so I think I will go ahead and keep everything at modest settings. Like you, I'm a low, slow guy too. Love the mountains

Hello,

I prestently use an Intel (2) Core i3 540 @ 3.07GHz - 2x4Go memory DDR3 with a Radeon HD 5770 1024 GDDR5 (DirectX11) and I have better results  with v2 than with v1.4

I have to confess that NO shadow, NO water enhancement and NO traffic are activated. I'm flying most often in VFR 4000ft around 150Kn, the sliders in the middle and REX intalled = fluid and almost ±20fps (small autogen) up to 32 fps (photorealistic tiles)

But anyway Santa Claus promissed me a big upgrade.

Pierre

Pierre

Great post and makes perfect sense.

I am planning the purchase tomorrow, but reading about all the ctds and other issues made me think I might delay until the fixes are published. But then again, I really am keen to experience the new environment, shadowing on my new Dell U3011, so I think I will go ahead and keep everything at modest settings. Like you, I'm a low, slow guy too. Love the mountains

I dont know which graphic card do you own.

I have got a Dell u3014 and nvidia 570gtx 1,2gb .   I can't use 2560x1600 pixels resolution with my graphic card. I have to go down to 1920x1200 to get some decent fps. I get more fps with 1920x1200 and high sliders, than 2150x1600 in very low sliders.

I will upgrade to  770 4gb or 780 very soon. 

I just built a new haswell rig, and had a tough time deciding between the 770gtx and 780gtx.   I knew that P3Dv2.0 was on the horizon and that it would benefit from 780 as opposed to the 770, but at the time PMDG was steadfast against any involvement with the new program so I was leaning towards the cheaper 770.  NickN ultimately convinced me to get the 780, as a 770 would short change the otherwise perfect balance among the components I chose.   And low and behold, PMDG changed their tune and will allow their new and upcoming products on the platform, I'm so stoked!

I found I needed to upgrade to the Haswell because my rig was 3 1/2 years old, but for the most part I found I was happy with my frames in the old rig and was considering just some minor upgrades, say exchanging the i7 930 for a SB.  I understand the OP's rationale, as it was something I thought about as well.  If v2.0 is less cpu bound and offloads more work to the GPU, and if they make additional under the hood code optimizations, there may be no point in getting a new pc apart from just replacing the GPU.  In this economy, and with the right tweaks/setup installed (see NickN's bible thread) all you need really is P3D and the latest and greatest Nvidia card and you basically have FS11!!