Sign in to follow this  
Arwen

Prepar3d V2 - with FTX Global

First one is south of March ARB [KRIV], looking towards Newport Beach, with Santa Catalina Island in the far distance. Most of my settings are one notch below max,

Second shot is a low approach over Riverside, CA at night.

Third shot is in Norway, just southeast of ENBM.

Fourth shot is flying low, in the A2A Piper Cub, over a small town in southwestern Alaska.

I left the info text on in the above, to record my FPS.

The last image was taken in my home area, in Northern New Hampshire, southeast of Franconia Notch.

post-144526-0-76312800-1386220422.jpg

post-144526-0-20564400-1386221451.jpg

post-144526-0-98190500-1386222034.jpg

post-144526-0-78669800-1386222379.jpg

post-144526-0-15341300-1386223025.jpg

• Upvote 8

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Thanks!

This is my first try at posting in your screenshot forum, hopefully I'm following the image posting rules (I did read them first).

Arwen,

Those look just great!  Nice to see that you are posting shots.  Keep them coming. :)

Thank you so much for the nice comments!  Maybe this will show why I'm loving P3D so much, as these shots are very typical of the graphics (and performance) that I'm seeing on all my flights now (after getting the settings to where they work the best for me).

wow excellent shots, that shot of the cub top down over Alaska is that addon scenery the autogen looks excellent

wow excellent shots, that shot of the cub top down over Alaska is that addon scenery the autogen looks excellent

That is with just FTX: Global ... that I the only scenery/texture addon I'm using, and it was installed for all my above screenshots.

The scenery looks much better in the urban area in the next to last screenshot, where it is really impressive. In the other shots, forests etc. don't like much better than before FTX, is this true?

For me, there was a BIG difference in the forested areas areas with FTX [and for rural fields. and a HUGE difference in the night lighting]. I wish I had before and after comparisons, but I wasn't thinking that far ahead and was pretty excited to finally get to install FTX (which I had been wanting since I first heard about it, but it would have made my old computer explode).

In my home area, flying around the White Mountains, the forest do actually look very much like they do in P3D2+FTX (as shown in my bottom screenshot), much of this area is part of the National Forests, where logging is done in relatively small sections of clearcut, which look exactly like the forest in that screenshot.  [i don't get to fly small planes in real life, but I do hike in these mountains, so I have looked down on these forest a bunch.]

However, there are some graphic issues with FTX and P3D2 that OrbX is working to fix.  As I understand this, version 2.0 includes some landclass changes, and this are not receiving the correct FTX textures.  In my flights I have seen sandy/desert areas in places where they shouldn't exist.

WOW, my jaw just dropped !! Very nice !!

That is some serious eye-popping and very recent gear you have, 16 Gb RAM, Geforce GTX 780, SSD drive, 3Gb video ram, i7-4770K Haswell. IMHO, its the ultimate dream configuration for P3D as at Xmas 2013. 

Are these pictures produced with the sliders at max ? What frame rates are you getting ?

I'll be trying a Zotac 770 GTX (780 gtx almost twice the price) with 3 monitors. Can you publish your final P3D realism graphic settings ? I'll probably have to tweak down from your point.

Thanks in advance :)

Thanks! My old computer had been having all sorts of issues for like 18 months (and it never could run FSX very well at all). It's motherboard gave out in July, so I finally had to replace it, and Digital Storm was having a great summer sale (and their techs were extremely helpful when I was trying to figure out what I needed . . . and could afford). I'm VERy happy with my new computer. :)

My FPS are displayed in most of my screenshot, but you have to look close at the red text in the upper left. [in order: 51.1; 36.9; 56.9; 39.8; probably 50 to 60 (the first 3 were with target FPS set to unlimited, and the 4th one was locked at 40).

Here are the settings that I was using when I took those screenshots. I can set these a bit higher, and and still get great FPS, but I backed them off a bit (to what they are at in these screenshots), as I was getting sudden OOM crashes in some areas (even when my FPS were 50+).  I've been using these settings for several days now and haven't had any OOM issues at all.

post-144526-0-04666600-1386266917.jpg

post-144526-0-43271000-1386266932.jpg

post-144526-0-53769200-1386266949.jpg

post-144526-0-08258400-1386266962.jpg

post-144526-0-09590800-1386266988.jpg

• Upvote 2

Thanks! My old computer had been having all sorts of issues for like 18 months (and it never could run FSX very well at all). It's motherboard gave out in July, so I finally had to replace it, and Digital Storm was having a great summer sale (and their techs were extremely helpful when I was trying to figure out what I needed . . . and could afford). I'm VERy happy with my new computer. :)

My FPS are displayed in most of my screenshot, but you have to look close at the red text in the upper left. [in order: 51.1; 36.9; 56.9; 39.8; probably 50 to 60 (the first 3 were with target FPS set to unlimited, and the 4th one was locked at 40).

Here are the settings that I was using when I took those screenshots. I can set these a bit higher, and and still get great FPS, but I backed them off a bit (to what they are at in these screenshots), as I was getting sudden OOM crashes in some areas (even when my FPS were 50+).  I've been using these settings for several days now and haven't had any OOM issues at all.

It's nice to finally see in sim settings versus config file hacks to get the sim to work correctly.

For me, there was a BIG difference in the forested areas areas with FTX [and for rural fields. and a HUGE difference in the night lighting]. I wish I had before and after comparisons, but I wasn't thinking that far ahead and was pretty excited to finally get to install FTX (which I had been wanting since I first heard about it, but it would have made my old computer explode).

In my home area, flying around the White Mountains, the forest do actually look very much like they do in P3D2+FTX (as shown in my bottom screenshot), much of this area is part of the National Forests, where logging is done in relatively small sections of clearcut, which look exactly like the forest in that screenshot.  [i don't get to fly small planes in real life, but I do hike in these mountains, so I have looked down on these forest a bunch.]

However, there are some graphic issues with FTX and P3D2 that OrbX is working to fix.  As I understand this, version 2.0 includes some landclass changes, and this are not receiving the correct FTX textures.  In my flights I have seen sandy/desert areas in places where they shouldn't exist.

Hi Arwen, thanks for explaining.

Here are the settings that I was using when I took those screenshots. I can set these a bit higher, and and still get great FPS, but I backed them off a bit (to what they are at in these screenshots), as I was getting sudden OOM crashes in some areas (even when my FPS were 50+). I've been using these settings for several days now and haven't had any OOM issues at all.

Arwen you def have a ton of more room for eye candy.

Are those shots with default terrain mesh?  I thought that P3D V2 did not upgrade the old FSX mesh so I am surprised to see the amazing mountain detail.  Unless I am missing something and FTX Global includes a mesh product.

Are those shots with default terrain mesh? I thought that P3D V2 did not upgrade the old FSX mesh so I am surprised to see the amazing mountain detail. Unless I am missing something and FTX Global includes a mesh product.

FTXG does lighting textures and some landclass I believe. Some features may be global and some may just be specific areas.

Are those shots with default terrain mesh?  I thought that P3D V2 did not upgrade the old FSX mesh so I am surprised to see the amazing mountain detail.  Unless I am missing something and FTX Global includes a mesh product.

My only addons are FTXG and A2A's Piper Cub, so either P3D's mesh is better than FSX or FTXG is improving the default. I'm afraid that I cannot tell which one it is.

Arwen you def have a ton of more room for eye candy.

One would think so, looking at my FPS ... but setting things much higher results in OOM crashes happening in some areas/situations/weather (even when my FPS are still 40+). So, until the memory issues are fixed, I'm playing it safe. I have been flying lately with the "Terrain's Level of Detail Radius" set to Max, and haven't had any issues so far.