Sign in to follow this  
XCLTM3

Active Sky Next with the 777!

Tweaked and saw a huge improvement. Just did a quick hop from KEWR to KBOS in the 777 and saw an actual improvement in the aircraft compared to FS global (for some reason, my frames drop in the 777 compared to the NGX) and I'm guessing now it might've been the other weather engine. The land map in the UI though however is pretty bad. Isn't it possible to pull from Google maps?

Other than that one detraction - which doesn't hurt my flight experience, l'll be buying this product in 6 days and counting :)

You can turn the map off altogether if you want, just tick Trackup and while your at it make sure you remember to click the DETAIL button too for the most accurate RADAR image.

Cheers, Andy.

This morning we have had thick fog at real world Heathrow. Many flights delayed.

I have left my B777 on 27R just to watch ASN. All I can say is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G to watch the very realistic fog gradually getting less dense over 2 hours :rolleyes:

I really cannot see any reason why anybody would want to miss the great ASN experience.

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

Now I am sorry I bought the "other" two non active sky weather engines- they know who they are... I hanve to say, Hifi did themselves a huge favour by allowing a full function demo. This is what I was looking for! Real volume in clouds!!!! microburst and vertical air simulation! Just for fun, I took my ngx to AGGH yesterday to test the thunderstorm there. My plane took off and the wings where flapping like a bird due to turbulence- beautiful :lol: . I like how the weather gradually comes is and not pop. I am buying this for sure. BTW how far back does historic weather go?

2 years and after a server technology upgrade next year it will be increasing significantly.

Cheers, Andy.

You can turn the map off altogether if you want, just tick Trackup and while your at it make sure you remember to click the DETAIL button too for the most accurate RADAR image.

I've checked the detail box and it really doesn't look much better. The source appears to be from NASA, which I would guess has high resolution mapping capability. Still love the software - my only wish is that the map sourcing was something more familiar and better detailed, like Google Maps, or even better, following in Skyvectors footsteps. 

Once again, this doesn't hinder this amazing weather engine which I think is clearly the best out there right now. 

The detail button has nothing to do with the quality of the background image, enabling that option makes sure you see exactly where the clouds are on your RADAR by limiting your maximum zoom level so that you only see a detailed view. If you zoom out further than your current maximum cloud drawn distance set in ASN you will see a general layout of the weather for the area shown. With it on you see the exact same weather that is being depicted in the sim.

I do agree though I don't like the Blue Marble picture either, but using Google Satellite images in a commercial product involves an extremely expensive licence fee. That's why you only see it (legally) in freeware products as they can use it without paying a fee.

Cheers, Andy.

I think it's pretty good. Just filmed this on my iPad from the monitor, so sorry about the quality.

Edit. Can't seem to add a vid. Oh well. Sorry.

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

The detail button has nothing to do with the quality of the background image, enabling that option makes sure you see exactly where the clouds are on your RADAR by limiting your maximum zoom level so that you only see a detailed view. If you zoom out further than your current maximum cloud drawn distance set in ASN you will see a general layout of the weather for the area shown. With it on you see the exact same weather that is being depicted in the sim.

I do agree though I don't like the Blue Marble picture either, but using Google Satellite images in a commercial product involves an extremely expensive licence fee. That's why you only see it (legally) in freeware products as they can use it without paying a fee.

Ah, ok. That settles that! Makes sense.

I'm absolutely loving this. Just flew under an anvil from a CB and got moderate turbulence - couple updrafts. Just awesome!

This all sounds great. Perfect timing for me too. Hoping for good results when I download the demo this weekend. After downloading the 777 of course :P Almost time to fly. Just need to finish this miserable paper on Antitrust Laws. :wacko:

Just went onto Skyvector and saw a mod-serv turb callout for Kansas area. Decided to do a quick hop between tulsa and kansas city and im floored. My 777 is bouncing all over the place - its unbelievable. This really is the best weather engine. So so good. 

I really cannot see any reason why anybody would want to miss the great ASN experience.

Wait, I can think of one… even lower fps.  :mellow:

Well this is the price for a truly excellent weather program and progress , you cant have all that stuff going on to give such a great experience and expect no hit on frame rates, just wait until your  next PC upgrade it will really shine

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

Wait, I can think of one… even lower fps.  :mellow:

I thought the same thing initially, but theres quite a bit you can customize and in my experience, when lowering these values, doesn't hurt flying experience at all. I've even seen a increase in frames using the PMDG777 over some other weather engines.