Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

Can we get the Voting icon names back?

+1 for the -1 on the one by Dillon!   crylaugh_s.gif

And I'm not offended one bit, even if that was the intent...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

And I'm not offended one bit, even if that was the intent...

Just showing how easy it is to rate a post without any silly rating system.

Words like:

Thanks......

I disagree.........

You are full of.........

That was a very............point.

You are a(n) ............. ( within the limits of the ToS)

All can be used to express your feelings. And look, the English language is actually being used instead of some symbol system!!

Maybe we can come up with some more appropriate names, such as;

Gee, forgot to leave the ego at the door, did you?

or

I want no one to be happy, so chew on this down vote for a while!

or

My agenda is more important than your agenda, so quit posting!

or

I feel like a victim, somebody Like my post(s)

or

I'm a cyber-bully, good thing this internet isn't in person, you troll!

Good satire, and I found it very funny. In my view of things the last 2 weeks, it pretty much sums up how the rating system was actually being used by some. 

Everyone can decide for themselves to use the system or not...... To participate or abstain, To pay attention or ignore. That's what choice is.

Democracy can be messy (and at times even troublesome) as well, (take a look at Washington) but if votes come out in a way not to ones liking, is the answer to abolish the system? Or work to make it better, and find a way to participate more fully and effectively to get the results you desire?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Q_flyer, on 10 Dec 2013 - 09:29 AM, said:

Unless a cash alternative is brought in for my 'stash', I don't care whether the votes stay or go-go.... :smile:

5656510.jpg

At this point it's the principal of the thing. People are getting offended because everyone doesn't agree with them. Instead of taking it away to appease the more sensitive individuals among us a proposed vote was suggested. If people like the vote system the best we can tell people who take issue with those not agreeing with everything they say is to, 'man-up and accept the fact no one is always going to agree with you'. I hate political correctness. We are all grown people here who have to function in societies with many opposing ideas. Bring all that together and we have a vibrant community with many great ideas and conversations.

FS2020 

There's a possibility of reinstating the reputation system?  Well darn!  Now I've got to start being nice again.  Well, I can be nice;  can everyone else?  The jerks will end up with reputation down there with the whale poop.  Hm.  Life can be good.

+1 = This post is beneficial

-1 =  This post is harmful.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Just showing how easy it is to rate a post without any silly rating system.

Words like:

Thanks......

I disagree.........

You are full of.........

That was a very............point.

You are a(n) ............. ( within the limits of the ToS)

All can be used to express your feelings. And look, the English language is actually being used instead of some symbol system!!

Because there's a silent majority that I found would rather not comment in every thread. There were people rating posts that I didn't know were even looking at the thread. You silence this aspect and loose the bigger picture as to what people in our community are actually thinking and who they agree with. We in tern speaking can start adjusting how we come across as well because you can see full blown who you are offending. It's also an easy scan of the key points that's gotten peoples attention in a thread. Last but not least is this false since we are right because no one is commenting. You really get a better since of where your comments stand with a system like that. That's why for some their shocked to see their commentary is not as popular as they once thought and as we all can see they can't deal with that reality.

FS2020 

I don't know how this site suddenly became so "democratic".  No doubt Tom A. was getting a bunch of grief from people about the system and is tired of dealing with it.  The point of having the system in place was to clamp down on trolls, wasn't it?   But all I saw was the same 3 or 4 people using it to punish others for a dissenting point of view on P3D, (or perhaps to tag those with a dissenting view as trolls) plus a little Tit-for-Tat war I had going on with Q.   It confuses being popular and going with a fad, versus delivering and receiving good information.

And if the downvote system is reinstated, good old Larry "Blanket Party" Hookins :P should remember that he lives in a glass house just like the rest of us. :P

I don't know how this site suddenly became so "democratic".  No doubt Tom A. was getting a bunch of grief from people about the system and is tired of dealing with it.  The point of having the system in place was to clamp down on trolls, wasn't it?   But all I saw was the same 3 or 4 people using it to punish others for a dissenting point of view on P3D, plus a little Tit-for-Tat war I had going on with Q.   It confuses being popular and going with a fad, versus delivering and receiving good information.

And if the system is reinstated, good old Larry "Blanket Party" Hookins :P should remember that he lives in a glass house just like the rest of us. :P

Seeing as you take things way too serious I for one am going to curtail anything I say to you to the best of my ability. I just want you to know that. For you to take such issue with a system like this to the point of bringing it down is shocking. I shouldn't have went back and forth with you on the issue which helped bring things to this point. So say what you will about anyone here I for one will try to ignore it and move on.

FS2020 

And if the system is reinstated, good old Larry "Blanket Party" Hookins :P should remember that he lives in a glass house just like the rest of us. :P

Bring it on, Kid.

I might even answer your last question.  But remember, "If you don't think you'll like the answer, don't ask the question."  Something else I learned in the military, something you have little experience in.

For you to take such issue with a system like this to the point of bringing it down is shocking

+1

Hook

Larry Hookins

Dillon, I'm not the one that started the thread.  I'm just expressing my point of view.  You seem to be the one who is taking this voting business quite seriously yourself, not even being able to see the humor in Meshman's joke about it.  Hey, if Tom puts it to a vote and it comes back, then I'll use it the same way that you use it.  If somebody doesn't see a dumb rating as an insult, or as just a convenient way to disagree without having to give reason, as you claim you do, I'll be more than happy to hand them to you with the same degree of casualness as you would.  I'll roll with the punches and play by the rules in place same as everybody.

I don't know how this site suddenly became so "democratic".  No doubt Tom A. was getting a bunch of grief from people about the system and is tired of dealing with it.  The point of having the system in place was to clamp down on trolls, wasn't it?   But all I saw was the same 3 or 4 people using it to punish others for a dissenting point of view on P3D, (or perhaps to tag those with a dissenting view as trolls) plus a little Tit-for-Tat war I had going on with Q.   It confuses being popular and going with a fad, versus delivering and receiving good information.

And if the downvote system is reinstated, good old Larry "Blanket Party" Hookins :P should remember that he lives in a glass house just like the rest of us. :P

Its not a democracy, it cant be. No private forum I know of is. But many have democratic elements. That's what polls are for, and many sites have reputation systems simply because people like to participate. Its probably also a good real-time thumbnail demographic of the community on a host of Topics-of-interest.

If as you say, the problems were between a relative few people (I really wasn't paying attention) then how does that make it good to remove a privilege for all the tens of thousands of other members?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

If as you say, the problems were between a relative few people (I really wasn't paying attention) then how does that make it good to remove a privilege for all the tens of thousands of other members?

That's a valid consideration and point, and I don't know what was happening in other parts of the forum, only the limited number of topics that I happened to have been a part of during that time period.  Could have been worse or better.  I believe the ratings systems can succeed so long as the staff recognizes how people are either using it or abusing it and then cracking down on those individuals. 

Clearly Tom A. has had a repeated problems with the rating systems and it makes him mad.  Obviously I don't know what those problems are from his perspective or what kind of PM's/complaints he's getting about it outside of the forum discussions.  I certainly haven't sent any PMs to him or other staff.  I believe Dillon thinks that the only person who didn't like it was me, King Ghidorah.  Certainly Dillon doesn't think that King Ghidorah is so important that Tom keeps changing it around and shaking it up because of me, as if my one little voice could possibly influence these decisions?   That's simply absurd.

I believe the ratings systems can succeed so long as the staff recognizes how people are either using it or abusing it and then cracking down on those individuals.

Agreed!  +1

Hook

Larry Hookins

With a rating system in place

"Captain Slarty" would never have lasted as long as he did! Remember him?