Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

Can we get the Voting icon names back?

Dillon, I'm not the one that started the thread.  I'm just expressing my point of view.  You seem to be the one whose taking this voting business quite seriously yourself, not even being able to see the humor in Meshman's joke about it.  Hey, if Tom puts it to a vote and it comes back, then I'll use it the same way that you use it.  If somebody doesn't see a dumb rating as an insult, or as just a convenient way to disagree without having to give reason, as you claim you do, I'll be more than happy to hand them to you with the same degree of casualness as you would.  I'll roll with the punches and play by the rules in place same as everybody.

A clarification then I'm done:

In your own words "I'm not going to let you reduce this to" this thread alone. You brought issue with this in way more than this particular thread even going so far as to send me a PM about it. God knows what you sent to Tom and the other staff. You and this issue go way beyond this single thread. I can't believe anyone would take issue because someone gave their post a dumb rating. You don't see how silly that sounds? Who cares... If you said something dumb deal with it. It especially doesn't matter if right next to that you have 5 agree votes. The voting system is to see where people are at and how spot on you are in the discussion. Before and on allot of forums out there your just bloviating with no real feedback unless someone comments. Many will just sit there and let you make a fool of yourself like they do when there's a bugger in your nose. If we had this system years ago I most likely wouldn't have said half the crap I said about FSX because I would have saw most didn't agree with me and the tides were changing.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

This is stupid.

I don't recall any problems with having the plain and simple "Up Vote" option and nothing else, or absolutely no rating system whatsoever.

(I vote my own post as 'Dumb')

Best Regards,
Kyle Schurb
Developer of Virtual Cockpits, Sceneries, and Liveries.
Instrument-Rated Commercial Pilot AMEL, CFI/CFII/MEI

And I'm not offended one bit, even if that was the intent...

Actually I didn't intend to offend you anyway:

I was simply intending to second Jim when he, IMO, was disagreeing with you when you were seemingly in disagreement with meshman who was stating (my interpretation only) that a certain share of the forum community dynamics derives from a number of inflated egos.

Yes, communication, interpretation, perception and psychology really can be that simple.   :lol:

With a rating system in place

"Captain Slarty" would never have lasted as long as he did! Remember him?

Nope. Don't remember at all, probably before my time. But even the name sounds ominous!!  :lol:

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Why do we even need a rating system?

Copy/Paste:

Because there's a silent majority that would rather not comment in every thread. There were people rating posts that I didn't know were even looking at the thread. You silence this aspect and loose the bigger picture as to what people in our community are actually thinking and who they agree with. We in tern speaking can start adjusting how we come across as well because you can see full blown who you are offending. It's also an easy scan of the key points that's gotten peoples attention in a thread. Last but not least is this false since we are right because no one is commenting. You really get a better since of where your comments stand with a system like that. That's why for some their shocked to see their commentary is not as popular as they once thought and as we all can see they can't deal with that reality.

FS2020 

Because its not summer and everyone has cabin fever already

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

l would say probably the same reason any system exists, because its useful. In this case its all a matter of consequences for action, whether that's through a participatory democratic expression from the community (in the form of down-votes) or a more top-down expression of displeasure in the forms or warnings and/or banning's.

Think of it as a form of neighborhood watch.

I know I would prefer some advance warning from the community that I was straying out of line rather than have Tom come after me..... Eeeeeek!!   :ph34r:

Reputation systems are often useful in large online communities in which users may frequently have the opportunity to interact with users with whom they have no prior experience or in communities where user generated content is posted like YouTube or Flickr. In such a situation, it is often helpful to base the decision whether or not to interact with that user on the prior experiences of other users.

Reputation systems may also be coupled with an incentive system to reward good behavior and punish bad behavior. 

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Styckx, do you think I should get a Titan or a 780ti?

I don't want to stray off topic too much so I'll leave it here. :)  780Ti... 3GB is enough..  I think the VRAM thing is being escalated as more of a problem than it really is.. ie: I don't  think it's a problem.

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Because there's a silent majority that would rather not comment in every thread.

So you have communicated with this "silent majority"? Are you their elected spokesperson?

You silence this aspect and loose the bigger picture as to what people in our community are actually thinking and who they agree with

How? Can't they reply with actual English sentences? Wouldn't we actually learn MORE with words, than meaningless little voting icons? Maybe we should just post using all the available emotion icons and cut out words all together?

Because its not summer and everyone has cabin fever already

+1

There.

So you have communicated with this "silent majority"? Are you their elected spokesperson?

How? Can't they reply with actual English sentences? Wouldn't we actually learn MORE with words, than meaningless little voting icons? Maybe we should just post using all the available emotion icons and cut out words all together?

+1

There.

I guess you must have been sleep when we had the system up. So many people voted my posts either way without ever saying a word. Heck if you would read what I wrote in this thread you wouldn't be asking the question because I explained my point on the issue already.

Second I guess you never heard the term, "A ... says a thousand words" (insert what's appropriate).

FS2020 

In one way: people have a choice. They can type English sentences or not, as their time and mood permits. Its up to the individual.

The other way: advocates that choice be removed from others in service of one particular vision of usefulness.

In one way: people can choose to participate or not as they see fit.

In another: the choice of the few makes the decision for all.

And if they are perchance not the few, then the vote will make that clear........ (shrugs)

Devons rig

Folks, I am going to re-install the system and provide four keys; like, dislike, agree and disagree. This is a CONTENT RATING SYSTEM folks. You become known for the quality of the contributions you make here via these. Users can quickly view the three scores you have tell immediately what kind of contributions you are making. Abusers of the system who turn it into a personal thing, will loose their privileges. Look for it to be back online shortly.