Sign in to follow this  
Tony P

P3Dv2 2.1 ?

I just had a wonderful test flight ;)

I love flying at night and in the gloaming.  Beautiful vid.

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I didn't care much for 64 bit in the past, but seeing how fragile P3D2 is with complex addons because of VAS limitations I have changed my mind. I see no mention of VAS in the fixing section on the P3D forums, so it seems to be a problem they ignore. But of course, until we have addons that have been made for P3D2 from the ground up, we won't know for sure what causes the problems.

As for giving up FSX and P3D1 addons, I couldn't care less as I only use about 5% of the addons I've bought over the years. I'll stick to P3D1.4 until I can get P3D2 working with complex scenery, aircraft and 100% AI traffic.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Why not? A few weeks is two to three. I bet we have the first patch by then.

Was talking about something else lol

André

I didn't care much for 64 bit in the past, but seeing how fragile P3D2 is with complex addons because of VAS limitations I have changed my mind. I see no mention of VAS in the fixing section on the P3D forums, so it seems to be a problem they ignore. But of course, until we have addons that have been made for P3D2 from the ground up, we won't know for sure what causes the problems.

As for giving up FSX and P3D1 addons, I couldn't care less as I only use about 5% of the addons I've bought over the years. I'll stick to P3D1.4 until I can get P3D2 working with complex scenery, aircraft and 100% AI traffic.\

Sorry, I'm new to P3D, what is VAS?

Sorry, I'm new to P3D, what is VAS?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_address_space

In short, P3D2 being a 32-bit application is limited to 4GB of VAS (Virtual Address Space),hence it can't use/process more than 4GB of data at any given time. With detailed scenery, lot's of AI traffic, weather with many clouds and complex aircraft P3D will run into the 4GB limit pretty soon.

If P3D were a 64 bit program it could in theory use 8 TB of VAS at any given moment.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

.I cant afford to have a blind eye.  Im going to call it what it is a realist! All I care is what can it do for me now and I don't care to be part of the advancement of a revolution? With that believe, FSX still better meets that demand. I will be getting a refund in the next week and in the not so near future, repurchase version 2.5. ( Maybe a year?) "Never fly the A model of anything" I fly I dont test!

If you don't like testing I'm surprised you even bothered with FSX from the get go. Maybe you've gotten it stable enough at this point or your life circumstances have changed but FSX is the beta test platform of them all over the last seven years. Like many have said with the first patch and native add-ons P3D v2 will be the easier of the two to get into for new simmers and those migrating. Another point made is use of what you already have while P3D v2 add-ons start coming in over the next few months has always been the logical transition but to say you don't care about advancement and revolution being an FSX user sounds odd (it would maybe fit better for an FS9 user).

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Well that's exactly what I don't understand ... if a new P3D64 bit came out tomorrow and it wasn't compatible with any of my P3DV2 or FSX add-ons, why would I have to "give up" using my older product?  I do what I do now with any new platform, simply continue using my older version(s) along with the new and as time moves forward and add-ons become available, I slowly transition my flying time to the point where I rarely use the older product.

If some of the old never gets updated to the new, then I live without or find alternatives.  There is so much to the world of flight simulation that no "single" add-on or product makes or breaks the enjoyment ... just too many ways to be ... dare I say, "entertained" ... the lawyers are lining up and police about to smash down the door :)

I see several folks get stuck in a rut where if one Add-on isn't available, then that's it ... everything is null and void from that point onward  ... may as well pack up the hobby (like the one stop PMDG exclusive club).  Just seems

crazy to me (and very narrow minded), there is such a huge scope in a "world coverage flight simulation" that how could anyone not be able to entertain themselves?  But to each his/her own.

A lot of it is because simmers are so conditioned to FSX being so moody that once they have it working right they are terrified they will mess it up. The idea of running multiple simulators on the same install is scary to a lot of people.

FSX is the most non-sensical program I've ever worked with when it comes to doing things that defy logic. I mean, I loved it for years, but it is what it is.

I see no mention of VAS in the fixing section on the P3D forums, so it seems to be a problem they ignore.

I'm not sure what I'm doing different than you, but I haven't had an OOM or VAS problem in P3DV2?  (and I've got complex add-ons like FSUIPC, GoFlight EXE, GSX, FSDT, FTX, Aircraft, REX even with 32bit water, and more)  ... you might want to go back to the basics, wipe out P3DV2 and then slowly start adding your add-ons back and see at what point your VAS takes a big hit.  LM indicated that there are some 3rd party products that will not offload graphics to the GPU (still CPU based) and hence consuming your VAS.  Humberto (Virtuali) also indicated that some of their airports will induce heavy VAS usage because they use a legacy process (he listed the ones that are more P3DV2 friendly).

I'm not sure what I'm doing different than you, but I haven't had an OOM or VAS problem in P3DV2?  (and I've got complex add-ons like FSUIPC, GoFlight EXE, GSX, FSDT, FTX, Aircraft, REX even with 32bit water, and more)  ... you might want to go back to the basics, wipe out P3DV2 and then slowly start adding your add-ons back and see at what point your VAS takes a big hit.  LM indicated that there are some 3rd party products that will not offload graphics to the GPU (still CPU based) and hence consuming your VAS.  Humberto (Virtuali) also indicated that some of their airports will induce heavy VAS usage because they use a legacy process (he listed the ones that are more P3DV2 friendly).

5ghz, 2133mhz, 32gb Titan 6gb guy :lol:  :lol:

Was talking about something else lol

Hmmm.... I've always been keeping a sharp eye on your posts, Andre... :wink:

5ghz, 2133mhz, 32gb Titan 6gb guy :lol:  :lol:

Yeah but, we're talking about OOMs so, none of that means much  :P

Regards,

Brian Doney

5ghz, 2133mhz, 32gb Titan 6gb guy

6GB VRAM is meaningful part ... the other stuff doesn't do anything for VAS usage or OOM ... well actually I should say that Overclocking always has a potential for crashing flight sims given the processing needs ... I'm actually only running 4.8Ghz now as Adobe CC Premiere triggered a crash while I was rendering a video -- problems didn't show in Prime95 or other burn-in tools I use, so Overclocking always comes with a risk no matter how hard you try to test stability.

You know what we should do Rob ? Lets put P3D2 into a RAMdisk.....

*not really, I'm not that bored with it yet, and yes it would be completely pointless

Regards,

Brian Doney