Sign in to follow this  
Lawyer+Pilot

REX Texture Direct - Has the Jury Returned a Verdict?

I'm very dissapointed with this product. Went to my simmer friend today, and luckily he bought REX4 the day it was released. We sat for two hours reviewing most of the textures in FSX, in 1024 and 4096 res. Runway and taxiway textures are very very bad, REX Essential + OD is much better in that department. Cloud sets, hmmmm, I couldn't find the set that I like, simple as that. In REX Ess + OD I can find at least few cumulus textures that I really like. Water animation is also better in REX Ess + OD.

16.000 textures? Give me a break. Let's say - 16 sets cirrus + 16 sets cumulus + 25 of every sky set (75 total) + 20 runways + 20 taaxiways + 20 water animations + 20 water color + lights + sun = maybe 250 textures total, maybe 500 - 1000 at most?

Airport Textures: 461

Clouds & Effects: 2048

Sky Textures: 5980

Sound Files: 126

Sun Textures & Effects: 297

Water Textures: 6480

Wave Animation:  684

Do the math. I'm going to show some samples of OD vs. REX4, hang tight. It's Christmas Eve, if time permitting I will do this today, if not, after Christmas.

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

Maybe mine didn't install all the way?... I only see about ~60 cloud textures to choose from, including upper and lower and 2 different sound sets (01 02).

/ CPU: Intel i7-9700K @4.9 / RAM: 32GB G.Skill 3200 / GPU: RTX 4080 16GB /

RW Freight Pilot

Do the math. I'm going to show some samples of OD vs. REX4, hang tight. It's Christmas Eve, if time permitting I will do this today, if not, after Christmas.

Tim relax on Christmas Eve, because you deserve it and REX 4 is great and hence for only 22 euros all that hard work I find that amazing...

Maybe mine didn't install all the way?... I only see about ~60 cloud textures to choose from, including upper and lower and 2 different sound sets (01 02).

Kyle do a simple folder properties in windows (texture sub folder in REX4) and maybe you end up with 17,001 Files, 1,213 Folders ;-)

André

EACH set contains 16 cloud textures.

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

Ah didn't know that! Makes sense now, thanks. Like blueskies said, enjoy your Christmas, no need to rush a comparison!

Merry Christmas!!

/ CPU: Intel i7-9700K @4.9 / RAM: 32GB G.Skill 3200 / GPU: RTX 4080 16GB /

RW Freight Pilot

Here is a sample from one OverDrive file and one REX4 file. You will immediately notice the difference in clarity, resolution, detail and overall, a better sense of size. I highly doubt many will call this 'bad' Pe11e. I could go on and on, however, screenshots will soon be pouring in with folks who understand better how to set things up in their sim.

Samples are clearly labelled, make sure to click on pic to enlarge:

ABpYX.jpg

SuWUi.jpg

Remember, this just ONE example of a texture from each program. There are many good textures from REX OD, however in our opinion the new product is much more comprehensive.

The above REX4 runway sample is showing a light-use texture. There are heavy-use options for each runway set in REX4. See below:

SlfNo.jpg

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

Hmm.. I'll explain how the 16k textures number came up. While you only get to select between 10-15 sets of clouds (eg), each of these consists of a large number of textures, say cumulus clouds, in a variety of shapes and sizes (each needs to be manually done ofc) and that's how 10-15 sets of clouds become around 2000 different textures. So essentially, you cannot tell if you like a specific cloud set or not, until you actually try it. Then, you realize the true variety of textures, rex offers.

Also a general note, I think many users have a problem understanding what the product does. Same for the older Rex. It seems to be slightly intricate to some.

FSX has really come to life again using ASN and REX4.

It's a joy!

Menno 

i7-11700, 16GB, 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, RTX 3070, Windows 11, MSFS 2020 DeLuxe, P3D 4.5

I bought REX4 textures 3 days ago.....I love it.....I also see a smoother impact on my frame rate and experience...Im guessing there encoding of files got better over their versions....

I love the UI and water....I use REX4 textures with ASN and I can say they go great together (not taking anything away from REX Weather)

I would recommend this product to anyone.

George Kyriazis | www.georgekonline.com

ELB729.png

This + Directx10 fixer + ASN + ftx global= MUST HAVE

my FSX is complete now

I am sorry for loosing faith REX.

Now I understand why You charge extra. My PMDG shines in the skies - I don't need anything else right now. :)

So, except for a dissenter or two, it sounds like the consensus is that this hits the mark. I'll give it a whirl.

Thanks, Tim and REX team for your commitment. Happy Holidays!

Tim I come up with  16076  so going by my maths your over by 76 textures :P

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg