Sign in to follow this  
Lawyer+Pilot

REX Texture Direct - Has the Jury Returned a Verdict?

Some pics from me, this is just some random texture set with DX10... love it, but still will need to work on my dream texture set ;) 

2013-12-25_0-14-22-41mtq69.png

2013-12-25_0-44-25-103kqej.png

2013-12-25_0-48-46-56z8qsq.png

The above REX4 runway sample is showing a light-use texture. There are heavy-use options for each runway set in REX4.

This is one of the options I really liked in my early viewing.  For most of the airports I visit, the light use marks are far more appropriate and look really nice.

Looking forward to being able to gush  :lol:  about the cloud sets, but I just haven't had a chance to dig into a bunch of weather scenarios yet.

Scott

Im not exactly sure, but i thought I read from REX, that the weather engine they are currently working on (not yet released) will be designed to load weather specific textures, based on the weather to be injected by their new weather injector. I'm not positive, but I thought I read that one point. 

We ARE working on a completely new weather engine, actually TWO.  One is specifically for those who want Real Weather/Archive weather some extremely cool mapping features and FINALLY (drum roll please - we are incorporating not only balloon data, but world wide GRIB data)  But it will go beyond that of course.   The second weather engine is completely different and for those that want to be "creative" with their weather.

Both weather engines will be able to integrate with Texture Direct and install textures based upon weather conditions.

By the way, everyone have a wonderful Holiday Season!!!

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

REX4 coupled with ASN have really taken FSX up another notch! Thanks for keeping REX at the forefront Tim.

Xmas day, just another masterpiece by the REX team, and special thanks to Tim.  I wouldn't even bother on that earlier poster, sick out of his brains, don't waste time, Great Job, Folks.

Ronny

I did a quick video of some REX 4 Textures:

Will do another one later with some clouds.

Happy Holidays.

Rob

Yes, you can load wx influenced themes.

I have rex4 but I don't remember seeing that option. How do you go about loading  wx influenced themes ?

TIA

Can't select which options to install or not install in REX 4. eg) use FEX cloud sets not REX 4, or not want to use REX 4 runway lights. No option boxes to tick as in REX E OD?? REX 4 seems to override these choices.

Any recommendations?

Flying a 2 Seat Static GA Simulator out of CYYZ.

Can't select which options to install or not install in REX 4. eg) use FEX cloud sets not REX 4, or not want to use REX 4 runway lights. No option boxes to tick as in REX E OD?? REX 4 seems to override these choices.

Any recommendations?

Sounds like the problem I had. If you have a custom windows theme (ie, different window design, stuff like that) try to set it back to the default Aero theme. You should be able then, to select and tick on/off everything. If that fixes it, I can tell you the rex guys are already working on fixing it with a proper solution.

I did a quick video of some REX 4 Textures

Hmm.. for some reason I can't see my textures updating in p3d 2. :\

How's the water? dx9-like whitecaps? did you record with shadowplay? I tried to record with SP but it won't budge in p3d 2. Btw, you can fix the re-sizing SP does. I have a 1200p monitor so it will capture videos at 1728x1080. It then shows up smaller, in the middle of the screen. Annoying. However, you can very easily fix that with sony vegas, if you use it.

I have rex4 but I don't remember seeing that option. How do you go about loading  wx influenced themes ?

TIA

In the Themes tab look to the lower right. You'll see "My Themes, Community, Weather". Then type in the ICAO, press submit then Generate, save, install! 

/ CPU: Intel i7-9700K @4.9 / RAM: 32GB G.Skill 3200 / GPU: RTX 4080 16GB /

RW Freight Pilot

Here's what seems to work for me...

Set texture install options as usual in REX E OD (no clouds checked, no weather set)

Set install options in FEX to cloud sets only.

Install REX 4 themes (they now ignore the REX cloud sets and seem to be using the FEX clouds).

FS Global holds the weather very steady with little or no pop-ins etc...(still too many with REX weather).

REX 4 has incredible water and sky sets!

Flying a 2 Seat Static GA Simulator out of CYYZ.

did you record with shadowplay?

I record with Fraps at 30 fps full size, DXTORY causes black frames and audio drop outs every few seconds in P3DV2 so I don't user DXTORY.  I couldn't get Shadow Play to work in P3DV2 either.

Once captured with Fraps, I use Adobe Premiere CC to do basic edits (transitions and cuts to shorten video length) and export to a YouTube supported format -- YouTube will convert 2560 x 1600 to 1440 automatically (no option) ... 1440 works well, but compression needs to be set to about 16 Mbps which can be problematic for end user playback if they don't have a good ISP/Bandwidth.  

YouTube, however, will sometimes get the gamma wrong and I'll have to increase it via Adobe CC export adding +10% gamma compensation to offset for YouTube's reduction in gamma.  

I lock P3DV2 at 30 fps, but at the more complex airports it can dip to 22 fps -- internally in P3DV2 the fps change isn't noticeable (my fps threshold limit in P3DV2 is about 15 fps, below that fluidity becomes noticeable) .  But obviously when recording a variable framerate 22-30fps in P3DV2 at a Fraps fixed 30 fps, the frame difference will introduce a less fluid video.  Adobe CC has an option to do frame blending but that doesn't really have any affect as Fraps recorded at 30 fps regardless so Adobe CC will see 30 fps even if P3DV2 was only producing 24 fps at the time.

dx9-like whitecaps?

I haven't seen any "white caps" yet in either REX OD, REX 4, or standard P3DV2 water (water animations/effects are maxed out) even with high winds 36Kts at the correct layers ... maybe I'm missing something?

BTW my Rex sun had decided to become a white dwarf, however when I was looking in fsx.cfg i noticed that lensflare had been set to 0, set it to 1 and all was well, the sun was back to being a yellow dwarf again! :)

Would be worth checking if lensflare=0 is in your fsx.cfg if you're getting a tiny sun.

BTW my Rex sun had decided to become a white dwarf, however when I was looking in fsx.cfg i noticed that lensflare had been set to 0, set it to 1 and all was well, the sun was back to being a yellow dwarf again! :)

Would be worth checking if lensflare=0 is in your fsx.cfg if you're getting a tiny sun.

The tiny sun isn't related with the lensflare=0. It's related to the sun size defined in fsx/suneffect.cfg. When you install rex sun textures, it also creates the corresponding cfg file that goes with it. That's because each set of sun textures has slightly different definitions within the cfg.

I also commented on this in the previous page of this thread.