Sign in to follow this  
Lawyer+Pilot

REX Texture Direct - Has the Jury Returned a Verdict?

I'd also gone from dx10 sun textures selected to dx9 and then back to dx10 with set 03 as my texture set, installed and worked fine, so maybe I had two issues.

BTW my Rex sun had decided to become a white dwarf, however when I was looking in fsx.cfg i noticed that lensflare had been set to 0, set it to 1 and all was well, the sun was back to being a yellow dwarf again! :)

Would be worth checking if lensflare=0 is in your fsx.cfg if you're getting a tiny sun.

I always found the sun size too small no matter what textures are used. I edit the suneffect.cfg in FSX main directory. Right at the top there is sun size parameter that defaults to 600 or 800 or something. I find 2500 works farely well for me and makes for nice sunsets too.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

I've had REX E+O since it was released. I recently picked up Direct on a whim, primarily to see what exactly the difference is and or what it adds.

To be honest, it's rather difficult to gauge what exactly it adds to the existing REX lineup. The water textures look great, no doubt, but overall it feels like much of the same. If you're willing to shell out 30-40+ Dollars or Euros for more 2D cloud sprites and some other minimalist features then go for it. I just didn't find it to be worthy of the price tag whatsoever.

a7JWrON.jpg

It seems to have changed my whole experience!

Lighting effects, better contrast and brighter skies. Smooth sunsets (no more stripes and lines). The sun size seems perfect and sharp with blinding light! Runway lights from distance and on taxiways are more realistic. I even dumped FEX clouds for the full REX Direct Textures. With FSGlobal it's perfection!

Flying a 2 Seat Static GA Simulator out of CYYZ.

Not sure what to think here.....how does just changing the texture change whitecaps on the water and the sun glare off the water....I would have thought that has more to do with the shaders and settings than the texture itself.

- Can anyone else confirm no more stripes and lines during sunrise / sunset. ?

- If the water is truly that good and the stripes are gone then its a winner.  Plus I should remind everyone that REX gave us so many upgrades of REX2 for free that buying Rex4 just to support them is probably worthwhile on its own.  

Having said all of this I wish I could just buy the textures alone and not the weather injector as I am using ASN.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Mark Texture direct is not a weather injector. It has a feature to look up metar for your destination and pick appropriate textures for that weather.  You then intsall them and use whatever WX engine you like.

REX Weather Direct and Weather maker are the two new products that are stand alone and are in the works from the REX team.

Doogie   REX tester

I have been a long time user of REX and made the upgrade to REX 4. It is a nice product and overall an improvement. Some of the sky textures in REX 3 + OD were way too unrealistic (although interesting I guess) but most if not all of the sky themes in REX 4 are MUCH more sensible and realistic. 

The runway textures are definitely a lot better!

The one thing I am not happy with is the water color replacements (not the wave animation, but the color of the water texture). It's far too intensely blue for my liking, and unlike REX OD there is no way to tweak the colors ourselves.

Do the new water textures in REX 4 improve FPS any? I realized it was the water setting I was using that was causing the most amount of FPS drop. As soon as I lowered the water setting in FSX the FPS was around like 40 to 50 but when I set the water at 2. high which was what I read was recommended the FPS drops all the way down to about 19-24 with some instances of it dropping even lower when combined with flying over water and there being lots of clouds. 

Are there any tweaks that have to do with water? 

Best thing to do for water when above 1.x is to instal the DX10 fixes.  you can then move water up to 2.mid with very little drop of fps.

I did a quick video of some REX 4 Textures:

Will do another one later with some clouds.

Happy Holidays.

Rob

Nice video, obviously you are not someone who goes to Vancouver very often......the sky is never that clear.....ever !!!!

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

If I use the basic FSX Real Time weather and have Rex4 installed will FSX pull the Rex clouds and lightening or use the default clouds?

Will use Rex.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

I am very happy with REX4.  The new airport textures in 4 (along w/ some other enhancements from other addons) almost make default airports usable now.  I love the new "experimental lighting" as well.

Pretty much everything is better than REX-E w/ OD IMHO.  The cloud texture sets make sense where before just picking and choosing from the selection would often result in a less than desirable outcome and the texture swap took so long that unless it was really ugly you just "lived with it" for a while anyway.  Now then you get a nice matching set that that you know will work which leaves more time for flying. 

I use the REX-E weather engine and no post effects stuff as they have never played well with my sim.