Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Switching to P3D and saying goodbye to FSX for good

Hi,

I guess the difference between Gamers and Flight Simmers are, flight Simmers have NO problem spending cash on their hobby if its going to enhance their experience. Yet gamers don't feel the same way, you ask them and its good enough. They don't want to spend more money. 

I have P3Dv2, and if you told me I could spend another $200.00 and get another 10 FPS (without lowering my settings / on a regular basis) out of P3Dv2, count me in. Why?, because every little bit helps and allows me to up the settings.

Give me a sim I can MAX out at 60FPS (graphics like P3Dv2) and smooth performance on a 5760x1200 setup and I'll give you $1,000.00.  Why?. Because I'm a Flight Sim Enthusiast not a gamer. Most other Flight Sim Enthusiast feel the same way, that's why most enthusiast have made the switch to P3Dv2 already. Because it's not about the money!.

For those Flight Sim Enthusiast that cannot afford the constant upgrades/updates and/or additional purchases, you have my sympathy. I was in your shoes many, many years ago.

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Well, I have P3Dv2 and if you told me I could spend another $200.00 and get another 10 FPS (on a regular basis) out of P3Dv2, I'm in. Because every little bit helps and allows me to up the settings.

I spent 200.00 and got 10.69878% worse performance. Explain that one logically? BTW, Im a simmer who does it strictly for entertainment purposes only. Not a wanna be pilot, going to be pilot, make believe pilot, training pilot or fantasy pilot. No BSing.

Confused by that question.  Is mine the only post you have read in this thread?  

If you had bothered to read the whole thread, you would have recognised that yours is not the only post I have seen and replied to, but I think you already knew that.

Many of the problems quite simply, are workable and very minor, and sometimes down to the user. "Inherent" problems, as you call them are indeed far and few between. The trouble is, is that there are a lot of younger kids who seem to love focusing on the negative rather than positive issues which in itself can tend to distort the real issues.

I am of course assuming that you do not have this software, because I feel that if you did, your approach might be somewhat more balanced. Like you, I have a lot of $$$ invested in FSX, because it has been the only version available for many years, but I now see a way forward and slowly but surely, a lot of my investment is becoming available to be ported over to the new platform.

Best of both worlds as far as I can see ..... but there again, I see negativity as failure. 

I spent 200.00 and got 10.69878% worse performance. Explain that one logically? BTW, Im a simmer who does it strictly for entertainment purposes only. Not a wanna be pilot, going to be pilot, make believe pilot, training pilot or fantasy pilot. No BSing.

Yes we all know it didn't work for you and let's be honest - that's a real shame because it appears to be working well for many people. I do know that some "frame chasers" have seen a drop in frame rates, but mine went up! And with better graphics! And no stuttering! Life certainly is strange. But regardless, I seem to recall you got your money back, so that's not a bad deal really, now is it?

Hi,

Rather simple really, there are so many different hardware / software options, old / new hardware combinations in ones system that could be the cause of ones performance loss. The loss in performance does not necessarily mean its the latest flight sim software item you purchased.

Aside from that, I wonder how many unstable overclocks are out there causing more problems to flight simmers than anything else!.

Don't know what to make of your other response?. Are you saying P3Dv2 users are wannabes and FSX users are gamers?. Either way, I don't see what this has to do with the subject at hand.

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Many of the problems quite simply, are workable and very minor, and sometimes down to the user.

The good old ID10T Error.  This is a hobby that requires an above average knowledge of your computer, and I have to say that most problems I've seen posted in the LM forums are by people who just don't know  how to properly configure their computer.  I feel like that's why this forum can be such a great resource, because there are people here with a wealth of IT knowledge to help.

I spent 200.00 and got 10.69878% worse performance. Explain that one logically?

Comments like this make me embarrassed for the commenters. 

If you did not enjoy P3D, you do not have to use it.  LM offers you your money back.  Many people agree with you for many good reasons.  Many others disagree with you for good reasons.  You can go enjoy your sim, and they can go enjoy theirs.

I am not here to be part of your phanboi war, and I'm sure many others aren't either.

Where is a Mod?  It's time to lock this one up.

I am of course assuming that you do not have this software, because I feel that if you did, your approach might be somewhat more balanced. Like you, I have a lot of $$$ invested in FSX, because it has been the only version available for many years, but I now see a way forward and slowly but surely, a lot of my investment is becoming available to be ported over to the new platform.

I am looking forward to adopting this new platform as well, when the time is right for me.  "For me" is the key to that statement.  The increment is not great enough at this point.  I fly GA, mostly twins, and make great use of add-on avionics, especially add-on GPS for the more robust functionality and updated nav data.  My system is 2 1/2 years old at this point, and I hope to wring another year to year-and-a-half from it.  I am positively watching add-on products adopt migration to P3D and am calculated in the way I view that.  At least two developers have recently stated that their P3D offerings will require a new EULA (read purchase).  So for me there will need to be a greater increment of difference than is present now to justify the cost involved.  I expect that by the time I replace this system that increment will have grown significantly, and if that is the case I will move on it.  It is just not there presently for me.

I have grown through each version of Flight Simulator since it was first released, and spent considerable time with ATP:Flight Assignment in its day.  I also adopted Pro Pilot in the late '90's when it's terrain mesh provided a significant difference over FS.  Currently I believe my next move will be to head in the direction of DX10 with FSX.  Significant increment with low cost and early-adoption issues appear to have been resolved.  But of course I am watching the P3D development closely.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I guess the difference between Gamers and Flight Simmers are, flight Simmers have NO problem spending cash on their hobby if its going to enhance their experience. Yet gamers don't feel the same way, you ask them and its good enough. They don't want to spend more money.

I'm both a gamer AND a flight simmer.  I make complex mods for a number of games, and I spend at least as much on games as I do on flightsims.  There are many Gamers who spend more money on their computer systems than the average flight simmer does.

Give me a sim I can MAX out at 60FPS (graphics like P3Dv2) and smooth performance on a 5760x1200 setup and I'll give you $1,000.00.  Why?. Because I'm a Flight Sim Enthusiast not a gamer. Most other Flight Sim Enthusiast feel the same way, that's why most enthusiast have made the switch to P3Dv2 already. Because it's not about the money!.

All sliders are are a range of settings that the developer defines.  Being able to max out a new flightsim on today's hardware simply means that that flightsim was created without any overhead (no room for improvement as hardware improves).

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

Hi,

There is one game I use and that's NASCAR Racing. I have a Thomas Steering wheel with the Gas, Brake, Clutch setup with optical encoders. It was an expensive ($1,575.00) setup.

But even at that price, it does not come close to what I've spent on Flight Simulation. My stand-alone flight sim computer costs alone was $6,000.00, add to that a column yoke, rudder pedals, Boeing throttle quad, MCP etc. I find it EXTREMELY hard to believe that any other game would run up a tab as seen by flight sim users that purchase hardware.

As far as 60 FPS with no room for improvement, well that's simple not true. For example, If I'm getting 60 FPS and I now download the latest / greatest airport available... Lets say KSLC since no-one wants to make that airport and it has all the bells and whistles you can imagine.... I still have 30 FPS to sacrifice to crank this airport to its fullest and still be at 30FPS, which is acceptable.

Same holds true for any new state of the art aircraft. 60 FPS from P3Dv2 may give me 40 FPS with an aircraft such as the PMDG 777 without having to lower any settings..

I'm both a gamer AND a flight simmer.  I make complex mods for a number of games, and I spend at least as much on games as I do on flightsims.  There are many Gamers who spend more money on their computer systems than the average flight simmer does.

All sliders are are a range of settings that the developer defines.  Being able to max out a new flightsim on today's hardware simply means that that flightsim was created without any overhead (no room for improvement as hardware improves).

I find it EXTREMELY hard to believe that any other game would run up a tab as seen by flight sim users that purchase hardware.

That is only because most games do not require all that peripheral hardware (though some driving gamers have full car cockpits etc.) but I know for a fact that gamers DO spend as much money, or more, on the core system to maximise visuals and frame rate. I would say more gamers are discerning of fidelity and frame rates than simmers, and are far less likely to put up with jaggies, low res textures, sub thirty frame rates, stutters etc. etc... to the point of utter madness at times.

I enjoy both simming and gaming, and find this 'them and us' thing a bit distasteful and pointless.

Anyway, this is all irrelevant to the original topic.... For me, as soon as the first Orbx region is released for v2 I'm uninstalling FSX... I could run the two side by side, but as they do the exact same thing, but, with P3Dv2 doing it much better, there is absolutely no point in wasting drive space.

Hi,

I have P3Dv2, and if you told me I could spend another $200.00 and get another 10 FPS (without lowering my settings / on a regular basis) out of P3Dv2, count me in. Why?, because every little bit helps and allows me to up the settings.

For those Flight Sim Enthusiast that cannot afford the constant upgrades/updates and/or additional purchases, you have my sympathy. I was in your shoes many, many years ago.

+1 Flight simming is my only real hobby, actually. I sometimes play other games for a short while but I always go back to flying. My other hobby is making music but it became almost a job so I don't feel like doing so anymore. So… all the money that's available for hobby's etc. can be spend on simming now, really.  ^_^ And if you see the prices of regular music software/plugins, flight simming is cheap. Very cheap. Even P3D v2 is cheap and I own the pro license…!

And if you see the prices of regular music software/plugins, flight simming is cheap

I make music too, and it can be crazy expensive, but fortunately, and just like the FS community, there is a ton of free stuff out there, which is often of brilliant quality... I use very few payware plug-ins... instruments, now that is a different matter :wacko:

Has anyone heard of a timeframe re: Orbx v2 compatible regions as yet?... I'm itching for v2 versions of PNW and NZ .

Even P3D v2 is cheap

hat all depends on how one defines "cheap". One man's cheap is another mans excessive! For example, IMO there is not a 200.00 improvement over FSX for me therefore that doesn't make The V2 rocket cheap!

hat all depends on how one defines "cheap". One man's cheap is another mans excessive! For example, IMO there is not a 200.00 improvement over FSX for me therefore that doesn't make The V2 rocket cheap!

I said (or meant to say) it was cheap compared to music software. ^_^  You will never hear my say P3D is cheap itself. 200 dollars is a LOT of money! 

I'm currently considering making this jump but several factors are holding me back. Those being: 

- PMDG planes won't work

- RXP GNS 430/530

- SweetFX

- Ultimate Traffic 2

- OrbX Regions

- It will greatly reduce the amount of 3rd party airplanes I can fly

- Aerosoft airports

But on the positive side of things, I will still be able to install and use FTX Global, FTX Global Vector, FS Global Ultimate meshes, EZdok. I really want to be able to pull the plug on FSX once and for all and start embracing P3D to it's fullest. But I will have to say goodbye to a few things in FSX that I will truly miss. But I guess it's that time that I let go of FSX. Would you guys say there are more positives than negatives by switching to P3D? If the positives outweighs the negatives than it will make the choice much easier.

Do you guys feel the same way, what are your thoughts and opinions on this. I'd love to be able to have both installed, but I prefer to simplify things and not to mention the amount of space it will take up having all these different flight sims being installed and with repetitive add-ons, it will add up greatly.

SweetFX does work in p3dv2. I made a guide that uses "flightFX + Sweetfx" to make it work. you can go here for the guide.    http://forum.avsim.net/topic/429301-a-guide-how-to-sweetfx-flightfx-for-prepar3d-v2-injection/

Hi,

That's my point, serious flight simmers will spend more on their simulator than gamers will on ONE particular game. Also keep in mind that gamers move from game to game to game, their core investment (the system) isn't for just one game. Whereas flight simmers such as myself, spend all this cash on ONE Platform. So, if you take how much a gamer spends on a system, you must divide that by the games being used over the life of the system. So the cost per game is lower for a gamer than it is for flight simmers who (myself included) run dedicated Flight Sim Only systems..

You talk about gamers not putting up with jaggies, low frame rates, poor graphics and what not and yet the flight sim community will . It's very easy to be that way when your a gamer and you have numerous companies developing hundreds if not thousands of games to choose from. That in-turn gives gamers WAY MORE options in regards to gaming platforms than flight simmers have.

Flight simmers would not put up with the jaggies, poor graphics, crappy frame rates if we had the choice. But unfortunately, we don't... so we are FORCED to ACCEPT what we have. I just thank my lucky stars we have Lockheed Martin picking up where Microsoft left off.

That brings me to a few questions

1. How many serious Flight Sim platforms are out there for the serious flight simmers?.

2. How many games are available to gamers compared to serious Flight Sim Platforms for simmers?

3. How many gamers are playing games as old as FS9/FSX, or have they moved on the the latest and greatest?.

I think the answers are clear!. Flight Simmers are severely limited in platforms (so we tolerate the problems because we don't have a choice) whereas gamers have more to pick from and have the ability to be discerning.

I believe Flight simmers are a more dedicated bunch of individuals who are less likely to jump from sim-to-sim-to-sim, whereas, gamers will jump from the latest game to latest game.

That is only because most games do not require all that peripheral hardware (though some driving gamers have full car cockpits etc.) but I know for a fact that gamers DO spend as much money, or more, on the core system to maximise visuals and frame rate. I would say more gamers are discerning of fidelity and frame rates than simmers, and are far less likely to put up with jaggies, low res textures, sub thirty frame rates, stutters etc. etc... to the point of utter madness at times.

I enjoy both simming and gaming, and find this 'them and us' thing a bit distasteful and pointless.

Anyway, this is all irrelevant to the original topic.... For me, as soon as the first Orbx region is released for v2 I'm uninstalling FSX... I could run the two side by side, but as they do the exact same thing, but, with P3Dv2 doing it much better, there is absolutely no point in wasting drive space.