Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Switching to P3D and saying goodbye to FSX for good

I am missing the FTX regions and the variation of aircraft to fly in FS

Yes, it of course also depends on what you like do in the sim. I am a 'one-plane-low-and-slow-pilot' and usually fly only one plane for months, if not longer, and since my beloved A2A C172 works fine in P3D, the choice was easy. If my preferred plane wouldn't work in P3D and there wasn't another plane that really interested me, I might think again about ditching FSX! I also miss FTX regions but my favorite one (PNW) will be available this month already (with the other NA ones following shortly after that), so that's not a real problem. 

I've heard that the PMDG 777 also works with P3D, is this true? If that's true, then all the more reason to drop FSX for good.

The 777 is hardcoded to NOT work in P3D and you are officially not allowed to use it in P3D even if it would work, so instead of dropping FSX I would advice you to drop this subject right now…  ^_^

I will not be switching to P3D until I know that ALL of my FSX addons will work perfectly in it. If this means that I will have to pay large sums of money to certain developers simply to use the aircraft and/or scenery packages that I already own, then I may never make the switch.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I'm now attempting to run v2 as my primary sim, something I didn't think I would be doing even a few days back, but persistence pays off. My FS needs are modest, with no really complex airports or aircraft, which may help to keep things manageable and perhaps stops me seeing issues others seem to suffer (I've never had an oom in FSX or P3D 1.4/v2)

I'm running full UK photoscenery with Revolution X autogen, which covers all the photosceney, except Ireland, in buildings and trees. The only AC's I've added so far is Ant's freeware Tiger Moth, and the Trike from FSX, as I only fly low and very slow, though I will add a few payware AC's soon.

I have also installed REX4 and have added all the texture options at maximum resolution, with no issues whatsoever.

With the above, so far, all is good, very good in fact, with no crashes, oom's or stutters... Running max Autogen and LOD, full reflections, with aircraft, terrain and building shadows on. Tessellation is one notch down and everything else bar traffic is pretty far right. With that v2 looks a few degrees better than FSX, with (almost) pop free agn and very nice lighting with HDR on. Performance is solid, running constantly at my 33fps lock.

Is P3Dv2 better than FSX?.. yes! without doubt, though I do want a switch to stop the bloody clouds from spinning each time I move my head/camera position, and I can't quite match the AA I achieve in FSX... other than that it looks stunning.

I am looking forward to v2.05 and for Orbx to release to fully compatible regions, esp. PNW and NZ so I have other places than the UK to fly... If those work out I can see me removing FSX for good.

I'm just glad I did not request a refund when I ditched v2 in disgust a few weeks ago... Such was my desire for a new platform I even tried XP10 which was such a dreadful experience it encouraged me to try v2 again and made grateful for what I've got :P

....................... If this means that I will have to pay large sums of money to certain developers simply to use the aircraft and/or scenery packages that I already own, then I may never make the switch.

Some of the major players such as Orbx and Aerosoft are working hard to support their customers into P3D without or at most, minimal charge. Others? Well, I think you will find some will gouge every cent they can out of their customers, and then some ..... yes, you know who you are! I know which companies I am supporting as I move forwards.

One thing I forgot too add above... Volumetric Fog!!! this is almost worth the price of admission alone, and something FSX simply can't come close to doing. It seems to give me little or no performance hit, and it really trasnforms low vis layers.

Awesome :O

4D6bM.jpg

I have not used FSX since I bought P3dv1.4 many months ago, and I use all my favourite addons from FSX. I will wait for the PMDG777.

FSX is so yesterday!

I'm just glad I did not request a refund when I ditched v2 in disgust a few weeks ago

Failure is the line of least persistence.

In general, what follows is almost SOP around here. A new app or 3rd party add-on is released and the message boards are littered with complaints for about a week or so. The "audience" then reads these few outlandish complaints and decides to wait on purchasing the new version. Then after that, everything settles down into a constructive tone.

I think that it's just human nature for people to become frustrated initially when new toys don't work the way that they envisioned. Eventually, people adapt.

The "audience" then reads these few outlandish complaints and decides to wait on purchasing the new version.

I certainly agree with you and it is really a shame that this happens to predictably.   

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

............... people become frustrated initially when new toys don't work

And that's the difference between "gamers" and "simmers" perhaps?

With all due respect, why should I prefer to install new software (P3D) that struggles to run half of my existing addons when I can stay with what works for now (FSX) until this has been sorted out? Yes, P3D may well have exciting new features, but I prefer to use something that works. I am not interested in default P3D. I have to be able to use my existing addons, or it's a non starter for me.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

For me it was not a case of things not working, and throwing my toys out of the pram, but more a case of 'what's the point'. It seemed that this was still basically FSX with some new stuff bolted on, some of which seems to make things worse than what we have, and this is still true, to a point. Having to strip away all the good stuff that has been produced over the years, to be left with default scenery, ac's, weather ect. seemed crazy. And then there seems to be disagreement as to whose responsibility it is to fix the issues, is it LM or 3rd part devs? So I don't blame anyone for feeling rather bleak, esp. after the hype.

I am fortunate that I have found a way forward with v2 that gives me my most important elements for flying, with some notable improvements, but I understand the frustration others are feeling.

As for gamers v simmers... I think simmers are some of the most reactionary, unreasonable, childish [even the seniors] unpleasant people on the net, bar none... and I've known some personally too :rolleyes:

Of course everyone here is charming :lol:

But on the positive side of things, I will still be able to install and use .... FTX Global Vector

Is there any solution to the black rivers/lakes yet? Pictures in this thread.

I cant use the two together with a bug like that. 

Is there any solution to the black rivers/lakes yet? Pictures in this thread.

I cant use the two together with a bug like that. 

Since the black polygon issue supposedly doesn't show up in FSX, ORBX has said that for P3d2, it is up to Lockheed Martin to fix it. I'm not sure exactly what they mean by that. I'm just paraphrasing what was stated on the official ORBX message board.

With all due respect, why should I prefer to install new software (P3D) that struggles to run half of my existing addons when I can stay with what works for now (FSX) until this has been sorted out? Yes, P3D may well have exciting new features, but I prefer to use something that works. I am not interested in default P3D. I have to be able to use my existing addons, or it's a non starter for me.

Your repeated posts about this while nobody replies disagreeing with you certainly seems less than constructive.  If there are addon's you need in order to enjoy your simming that will only work in FSX, by all means, stay there.  Nobody is holding a gun to your head, saying you should switch. 

I honestly don't believe they day all of your FSX addon's will work in P3D will ever come.  This is a new platform, and the only addon's that are going to work seamlessly are those developed specifically for it.  It's going to be a bit before the add-on devs really get their teeth into P3D, but I can't wait to see what they're able to do with the new technology.  I think it will be far and away better than shoehorning in addon's developed for the dead platform.