Sign in to follow this  
Dragonmount

Flying overseas soon, any tips?

I think my brother wants to do a late night flight, it's what I did the last time about a decade ago. I don't fly very often, in fact I've only flown 3 times in my life on any type of airline travel, this will be the 4th.  Thank you for the advice. Ironically I slept at normal hours the whole time there. (I have a weird sleep schedule here).

I learned to do that after trying the "stay up til bed time" for 5 years or so, and found that I was exhausted for three or four days. My method allowed me to hit the ground running the next day and not suffer lag for days on end.

Which all goes to prove the cliched but nevertheless true fact that we're all different.  My evolution was exactly the opposite to Tom's.  At first, I'd try to travel on a Friday or Saturday, giving myself the chance to do exactly what Tom recommends before having to work a full day - arrive, eat, nap, eat, sleep.  I'd be several days adjusting, as the nap usually resulted in me being wide awake in the middle of the first night.  After several such attempts, I was stuck traveling on a Sunday for an early morning arrival and full Monday workday on a trip to Helsinki (and points beyond).  Had to be up all day, and had a working dinner that night.  Long day, but doable and the next day I found I was almost fully acclimated to the time change.  I never looked back.

I should note, however, that naps have always been problematic for me and not the tonic that others find them to be.  My system seems to think that sleep should always come in larger contiguous blocks and I'm almost always groggy and out of sorts after having succumbed to one.

Going the other direction, many of my colleagues from that period never had trouble with the trip back west.  As previously mentioned, I never found an approach that worked for me and could always count on at least 2-3 days of semi-zombie existence arriving back home.

Bottom line - you'll find what works for you.  As others have noted, it's not really so much about "jet-lag" as it is about abrupt time shifting and finding out how your system adjusts to doing it.

Scott

I usually just stay awake for 36 hours before leaving and before coming home.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

Ya, definitely get up and walk around every hour.  My wife doesn't do that then she complains on landing that her legs are a sleep and muscles stiff as I try to drag her as fast as I can walk to customs.

More important with this is making sure you keep the blood flow up - deep vein thrombosis (blood clots) are an actual concern with long haul travel.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

More important with this is making sure you keep the blood flow up - deep vein thrombosis (blood clots) are an actual concern with long haul travel.

It is real and not necessarily a long haul exclusive issue. We had a senior physicist fly from KRDU to KCHO, got off the airplane, collapsed on the tarmac walking to the terminal, and died three days later from DVT. He was one of the world's leading experts in ring laser based inertial navigation systems.

It was always a major concern of mine and I did make it a habit to walk as much as I could on all flights (aircraft allowing). Sitting behind a comupter 12 to 18 hours a day poses the same risk. Get up and move!

It is real and not necessarily a long haul exclusive issue. We had a senior physicist fly from KRDU to KCHO, got off the airplane, collapsed on the tarmac walking to the terminal, and died three days later from DVT. He was one of the world's leading experts in ring laser based inertial navigation systems.

It was always a major concern of mine and I did make it a habit to walk as much as I could on all flights (aircraft allowing). Sitting behind a comupter 12 to 18 hours a day poses the same risk. Get up and move!

Totally off topic now but this little thing has truly changed my life... 

https://jawbone.com/up

now I actually get up and move 500-1,000 steps every 30 minutes.  Side effect is I lost weight too without altering my diet.  I would HIGHLY recommend it to anyone.

Ok, back on topic now....

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

I usually drink a lot of water, as it keeps me hydrated and also makes me go for walks to the toilet.

When flying with Emirates, I return to my seat via the rear galley, where the chocolate bowl is and grab some midnight snacks.

Hello..

I was a long haul flight attendant for 11 years before going into the office.

You can't beat jetlagg.

My advice coming east (which is worst) don't drink booze, and stay up as long as you can before sleeping (I'm guessing you arrive early after an overnight crossing)  I used to go swimming to keep awake In the day after landing 

On the flight have a walk around the cabin every so often after they have finished the service, wouldn't harm to tell the crew a little white lie and say your crew for another airline,  you won't get an upgrade but they will make sure you're looked after.

You can try melatonin tablets...I never used to like them. Try and do it the natural way mate

14ppkc-6.png

I wish it was a 6 to 8 hour trip for me.....From Wellington, New Zealand to home in Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia means Wellington to Auckland, Auckland to Los Angeles, Los Angeles to Toronto, Toronto to Halifax, then a long bus ride home...it just sucks

When the time zone difference is 12 hours or more, it becomes the extreme at that point. Been through it more then enough, I wouldn't wish it on my worse enemy.

Matthew Kane

Hello..

I was a long haul flight attendant for 11 years before going into the office.

You can't beat jetlagg.

My advice coming east (which is worst) don't drink booze, and stay up as long as you can before sleeping (I'm guessing you arrive early after an overnight crossing)  I used to go swimming to keep awake In the day after landing 

On the flight have a walk around the cabin every so often after they have finished the service, wouldn't harm to tell the crew a little white lie and say your crew for another airline,  you won't get an upgrade but they will make sure you're looked after.

You can try melatonin tablets...I never used to like them. Try and do it the natural way mate

Really, lie to the crew about working for another airline?  I have never heard that one before...

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

* NO ALCOHOL that day!

* Drink water. After the cabin service is over go to the head, do some squats in the galley, bs with the fa's!

* If in coach - get a window seat (in exit row if possible- more leg room). You can lean against the bulkhead using pillow. If you can't sleep watch the sun come up. FYI, seats in front of exit row usually don't recline.

* If going to London put your stuff in the room and go to Westminster Pier. Take the scenic river trip to Greenwich. The cold air is invigorating on deck. Have lunch, On return get off at the Tower and wander around. Take cab back to hotel. Have a few pints and dinner at a historic pub. Hit the rack at 2200. Feel like a million bucks the next day!

* What to do in DUB - no clue, go see The Book of Kels!?

Four tips from me;

1) Avoid alcohol on the day of flying, and during the flight. It leads to dehydration, exacerbating jet lag.

2) Drink plenty of liquids, and eat any fruit that comes with the in-flight meal. Stay hydrated.

3) Get hold of some 2mg Melotonin capsules to reset your body clock when you arrive. You can get them over the counter in the USA, whereas in the UK they can be obtained online. High street pharmacies in Britain can't sell them for some bizarre reason.

4) Get an aisle seat. Forget the view out of the window, because you can see bugger all from 35,000 anyway. Sitting by the aisle means you have elbow room on at least one side, and you can get up and go to the loo whenever you want to. People on the inside of you will tend to cross their legs rather than disturb you to get out, particularly if you are asleep.

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

I've been flying Virgin Atlantic day time flight that they have from EWR to Heathrow in their Premium Economy.  It's the old business class seats, but much more comfortable space wise, especially if your tall.  The extra space is worth every extra penny in my book. 

I've flown Continental First Class with their lie flat seats, but was actually still a bit cramped and could not really stretch out--your feet go into a small cubby hole.  They also served almost all night long, so you only got a couple hours of rest.

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

You could try the Argonne anti jet lag diet which I understood was used by then President Reagan for his overseas flights. It was basically lots of carbohydrates at the beginning to help you sleep and lots of protein at the other end to help you wake up. I still couldn't sleep on the flights but, because I requested vegetarian meals, I was served before everyone else.

Dugald Walker

You can't get melatonin in the UK as its prescribed for kids with Adhd...if I remember correctly..

And yup I always tell the crew I'm staff, regardless of the airline, and I always get given a free pack with pillows and blankets, headphones and extra drinks... but I have been in the business 18 years.

14ppkc-6.png