Sign in to follow this  
HughesMDflyer4

An Interesting Future for Outerra

Actually I think they intend to do something very similar to X-Plane 10, and use databases Like OSM and others to at least semi-accurately place buildings, rivers, forests lakes etc.

Their focus right now seems to be on the Biomes and clouds though, and they now have extra people working on the interface and tools.

• Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Actually I think they intend to do something very similar to X-Plane 10, and use databases Like OSM and others to at least semi-accurately place buildings, rivers, forests lakes etc.

Their focus right now seems to be on the Biomes and clouds though, and they now have extra people working on the interface and tools.

Hi Devon,

What is the general status of Outerra engine?  Are there active plans to convert it to native 64 bit, and is there anything much in the way of published plans to do something to take it all the way to a commercially available flight simulator? 

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

BT-67 looks amazing, but things like this are only available for people who bought outerra, right? Not demo.

Hi Devon,

What is the general status of Outerra engine?  Are there active plans to convert it to native 64 bit, and is there anything much in the way of published plans to do something to take it all the way to a commercially available flight simulator?

They have said they intend to be 64 bit by the end of the year, but I would never take that to the bank as they have said things before that have still never happened. Things seem to be kicking into higher gear for Outerra lately though, so I have hopes that they may actually keep that commitment.

There is also talk of a kickstarter with a flight simulation focus.

BT-67 looks amazing, but things like this are only available for people who bought outerra, right? Not demo.

I purchased Anteworld right away so I'm not sure if third party planes work with the demo. Give it a shot, I guess.....

I do know that the official aircraft are not included.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Outerra as a MSFS-replacement?

Yeah, not going to happen.

Outerra as a MMO-ArmA?

Much more likely.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Outerra as a MMO-ArmA?

Much more likely.

Well there is an old saying about people who say something isn't possible often being interrupted by people who just go ahead and do it........  :smile:

We can hope,,,,,,,,,,

• Upvote 2

Devons rig

Outerra as a MMO-ArmA?

Much more likely.

What's an MMO-ArmA?

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I don't know.  I still see this app as vaporware.  I would love to see something solid actually come from this, but it has been years and years that they are working on it and the progress is slower than X-Plane.  I guess I am just tired of getting my hopes up. It really does look nice and it causes my salivary glands to work overtime, but when I read the forum and see the sloooooooooow level of progress, it is just discouraging.  I used to check out the forum daily, then weekly, then monthly, and the past two years or so I just go into the forum every few months just to see not a lot actually done.  Just things being worked on as  always.  I am not faulting anybody, after all it is just only a couple of very talented guys that work on this engine as they have time.  Kudos to them (Cameni and Angry Pig).  Maybe there is something community members could to do move things along.  I would certainly be willing to do something if I had clear direction, and if I had no clue how to do anything, I would certainly be willing to support the effort with a kickstarter program.  Anyway, I have reached a point of rambling so best of luck to the developers.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

What's an MMO-ArmA?

Well, ArmA is an amazing combined arms military simulator, so I imagine the MMO part is in reference to having a massive amount of people playing at once, given the scope of the land area in Outerra.

If you've never seen ArmA, here is some footage from one of the more famous players and posters of video content about it:

(might be some saucy language here and there, but its not gratuitous)

"No matter how eloquent you are or how solidly and firm you've built your case, you will never win in an argument with an idiot, for he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous.

MikeT707 i believe let them have their own sweet time in making their work which could have an aesthetic value..something that we as simmers would long for after a hard day work in the real world...just to enter a brand new world provided by outerra..and flying our fav babies over our fav route :wub:  :P

I don't know.  I still see this app as vaporware.  I would love to see something solid actually come from this, but it has been years and years that they are working on it and the progress is slower than X-Plane.  I guess I am just tired of getting my hopes up. It really does look nice and it causes my salivary glands to work overtime, but when I read the forum and see the sloooooooooow level of progress, it is just discouraging.  I used to check out the forum daily, then weekly, then monthly, and the past two years or so I just go into the forum every few months just to see not a lot actually done.  Just things being worked on as  always.  I am not faulting anybody, after all it is just only a couple of very talented guys that work on this engine as they have time.  Kudos to them (Cameni and Angry Pig).  Maybe there is something community members could to do move things along.  I would certainly be willing to do something if I had clear direction, and if I had no clue how to do anything, I would certainly be willing to support the effort with a kickstarter program.  Anyway, I have reached a point of rambling so best of luck to the developers.

Mike, you are completely right.

Like you I feel that the progress in Outerra was very slow over the last years. I really hope that it will pick up some speed now.

Outerra, like many other developments in the flight simulator business, lack professionalism.

I am very much looking forward to a new simulator system that is up to date! So imagine what the (sim)world could be with not only a couple of talented developers working in their spare time but with a team of ten talented developers supported by two one hundred people (in China/India/Vietnam) typing the code based on the standards developed by the developers.

IXEG 737 Beta-Tester and First Officer

i7 6700K@4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, Palit GTX 1080 GameRock Premium@2Ghz, Oculus Rift S, ButtKicker
X-Plane 11 latedt version on a Samsung M.2 SSD for speedy loading times

I purchased Anteworld right away so I'm not sure if third party planes work with the demo. Give it a shot, I guess.....

If I select an aircraft menu in demo mode, it automaticaly tells me to buy it, so I guess I'm out of luck with trying airplanes  :smile: At least that Basler is in FSX.

Outerra, like many other developments in the flight simulator business, lack professionalism.

Outerra is not a flightsim. And development of complex engines could take many years even with large dev team and multimilion funding. Outerra is developed by two guys if I'm correct.

Every single one of you commenting about how Outerra is lacking and how it has nothing solid is just because you don't understand what Outerra is. And I said that a few pages back. It's an engine (more specifically, planetary engine with procedural terrain generation). It's just the framework, core, software environment... whatever you want to call it. Google "what is a game engine" if you still don't understand, but stop comparing apples and oranges, please :wink: Outerra is great as it is and I believe it has a bright future. If you're annoyed by the slow progress, just stop following it. 

Every single one of you commenting about how Outerra is lacking and how it has nothing solid is just because you don't understand what Outerra is. And I said that a few pages back. It's an engine (more specifically, planetary engine with procedural terrain generation). It's just the framework, core, software environment... whatever you want to call it. Google "what is a game engine" if you still don't understand, but stop comparing apples and oranges, please  Outerra is great as it is and I believe it has a bright future. If you're annoyed by the slow progress, just stop following it. 

I actually think most people who have been following Outerra for a while have a pretty good grasp of the obvious and know it is an engine.  

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

I actually think most people who have been following Outerra for a while have a pretty good grasp of the obvious and know it is an engine.  

You're right and I never said otherwise  :smile: I just wanted to clear things up for some folks who might be confused about this whole Outerra thing as it's apparently not so clear for everyone. But maybe I'm just converting into a fanb0y :lol: (<- this word is censored on Avsim, huh, why?)

On the other note, after seeing how well outerra looks from the space (and even better on surface of course), I wouldn't mind seeing some space game (or sandbox) based on this in the future. Kerbal Space Program with outerra-like planets? Yes please! ^_^