Sign in to follow this  
HughesMDflyer4

An Interesting Future for Outerra

Don`t you use the in-game recorder?

Yes, I did it, and had those problems with audio syncing... I locked the frames at 30fps using vsync, and it seemed to work, but after like a minute, the sound unsync... I also tried to use 3rd party video recording with no luck. Basler videos were recorded using Mirilis Action without any problem. Seems that the new outerra version don't allow me to use any other video recording software anymore :\

Don`t you use the in-game recorder?

Last time I tried the in-game recorder, horrible stutters happened after a bit. That was my last try. have things changed?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Honestly that has more than a bit to do with the synergy between you computer, your graphics card and your settings. Outerra tends to only display what you are actually looking at, at any given moment. If you are pushing your system, you are a bit more likely to see something like that.

I can see similar things when rapidly switching views in FSX, ie, no textures, then super low quality textures, then slowly the scene builds.

Maybe. I have been checking it out as it progresses though and hadn't noticed any such behaviour previously. When I did have FSX I had no real scenery loading issues. I can run XP10 at really high settings. Will keep an eye on it going forward.

Maybe. I have been checking it out as it progresses though and hadn't noticed any such behaviour previously. When I did have FSX I had no real scenery loading issues. I can run XP10 at really high settings. Will keep an eye on it going forward.

I might play with the texture resolution. And the new trees have added a bit of stress as well. Especially if you're like me, and max them out.  :lol:

Interestingly, I've found that the absolute biggest drain I can put on Outerra comes from the AA settings.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

A complete new flightsim built upon the engine of Outerra is the best way to go i think as there will be:
... no need to take care of any backwards compatibility-issues, outdated graphics, no "out of memory errors" (once Outerra goes 64bit) and much, much more ...

There's nothing stop Outerra doing that - is there?

There's nothing stop Outerra doing that - is there?

Time will tell............

Devons rig

Time will tell............

Or it may not - This year, next year, sometime, never.

Any bets?

Any bets?

I'm not sure I would want to. X-plane has staggered along for years, and still has a ways to go. Rise of flight is still very limited, Aerofly has been out for quite a while as well, and will still probably not catch up for years. Outerra? Outerra will take as long as it takes.

Is somebody in a hurry?

Devons rig

I'm not sure I would want to. X-plane has staggered along for years, and still has a ways to go. Rise of flight is still very limited, Aerofly has been out for quite a while as well, and will still probably not catch up for years. Outerra? Outerra will take as long as it takes.

Is somebody in a hurry?

John Milton Keynes (the economist) famously said "in the long run we are all dead!"

John Milton Keynes (the economist) famously said "in the long run we are all dead!"

Well, there was more to that quote, but I get the idea.

My take is that the Technology of flight sims has reached a plateau of maturity and that its time to strike out in a different direction and try some different things. They may not work out better, but on the other hand, they just might, and what can it hurt to try?

John Maynard Keynes (the person I believe you meant) also said “The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping the old ones.” 

Devons rig

John Maynard Keynes (the person I believe you meant)

I did - finger trouble (:

Well I guess one or two talented developers should get worldwide airports in within ~2 months or so? Once that is achieved, it's almost as developed as X-Plane 8 was and should attract airplane devs that get the thing rolling.

My hope is that we get very soon and quietly a new flightsim.

Outerra looks to bright, about the opposite of x-plane which tends to be to dark. But I haven't fired it up for a long time.

Well I guess one or two talented developers should get worldwide airports in within ~2 months or so? Once that is achieved, it's almost as developed as X-Plane 8 was and should attract airplane devs that get the thing rolling.

My hope is that we get very soon and quietly a new flightsim.

Outerra looks to bright, about the opposite of x-plane which tends to be to dark. But I haven't fired it up for a long time.

They are apparently hard at work integrating Osm data.

And yeah, the terrain colors can be a bit odd at times. The good thing is that they acknowledge the issue, and seem confident that all will be resolved.

Devons rig