Sign in to follow this  
HughesMDflyer4

An Interesting Future for Outerra

They actually had a spurt of updates. I've been posting them here as they happen.

Do they have a list of the latest updates and their changelogs somewhere? I must have missed something major.

Do they have a list of the latest updates and their changelogs somewhere? I must have missed something major.

Well, it should auto-update on startup.

And here is a changelog: http://forum.outerra.com/index.php?topic=2234.0

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

homer-simpson-2-the-simpsons-15836214-27

On every thought Outerra could be new flight sim engine. It looks bloody amazing.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

How is fps in its current state? I seem to remember it was already difficult to get everything moving smooth but I might be mistaken. If things are hard on the hardware already, what will happen when cities and everything else will be added?

Anyway, am I right that it is possible to buy this tech demo and actually fly in it...? What exactly do I need to get going? Outerra and Anteworld or something like that...? Is that Cessna included?

Well, I have a lot of things maxed. Yet the frame rate with full Vsync is rock solid 60FPS. Without Vsync its about 100FPS. It all depends on your settings, with default up near 200 FPS

The biggest frame rate eater by far seems to be anti-aliasing, and actually the game looks better than most even without it, You get back a lot of frames that way. AA affects frames noticeably, whereas additional objects do very little.

The Demo can be purchased for $15 which also gives you the ability to fly as well as drive, walk and use boats. A Mig-15 and a Cessna are included, but users are in the process of contributing more, and at this point there are a variety of options.

You make make roads, paths, plant buildings, runways etc. In the user mods section, you will find all sorts of objects, most of which simply auto-install when you click on them.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

@ flying_doc I dont't think splitting into many downloads would help sales. Flight tried that and failed. I like the anteworld way of downloading when flying

there and also checking for updates on startup.

J van E anteworld runs smooth as silk on my system (see my profile). It was 15.-$ if I remember correctly and you get updates and the Cessnas etc. Anyone

knows how to show FPS?

HiFlyer thanks for the infos. Yea great waves rolling in wich made me go for a swim even with diving a little. Graphics leaves already other sims behind, also for ex. the Cessna with environment reflections (they're still improving that) looks already better than in X-Plane. Can we zoom in the cockpit?

They should put osm data and global airports in and sell it as a flightsim version 1. Probably we shall see such when they finished the sdk.

I'll fire it up now in Wine while waiting for the Linux update.

If I were in their shoes, I`d add clickable cockpits as well, to call it a flight sim.

If I were in their shoes, I`d add clickable cockpits as well, to call it a flight sim.

But they're not calling Anteworld a flight simulator. When they start developing a flight simulator using Outerra, I'm sure they'll add clickable cockpits.

Yes, I was just saying, that would be a good feature to have if they were developing a flight sim.

I'm a finance major and I can honestly tell you there is no way I would loan a flightsim company money the market is to small and the margins to low. Consumer funding is the only way to move forward in this market.

This engine is having multiple potential applications; the spectrum is much broader than the sole gaming/consumer-sim market. I think that the OT's founders are aware of all the potentiality... but they focus mainly on the gaming/sim segment and want to keep as much control as possible. The problem is that going to consumer funding will restrain the global spectrum of their technology... 

It's CTRL+F12 if I remember well.

Correct

Devons rig

But they're not calling Anteworld a flight simulator. When they start developing a flight simulator using Outerra, I'm sure they'll add clickable cockpits.

True, but when talking about a possible kick-starter, aviation was front and center, and the need for clickable cockpits was mentioned. That being said, Outerra is not a flight sim. Its a world simulator, with potential relevant to the interests of flight Simmers, as well as many others.

It could just as well be a Racing sim, a Train sim, a Fishing sim, a Boating sim.......

Wargames? Bet the military is watching.

In the meantime, here's a look at some work being done on tree shadows. Slowly but surely they are pulling it all together!

jrEAqOW1WU7nu_zpsab5a41ab.jpg

jlCKob8M6TiK4_zpse433c546.jpg

jweEqh9FWC5sz_zpsa4ae9a5d.jpg

I wouldn't mind a flight sim, though.  ^_^

Devons rig

It could just as well be a Racing sim, a Train sim, a Fishing sim, a Boating sim.......

Of course it can become anything, being an engine that can simulate the world. But in my opinion, only a flight simulator would exploit the beauty of Outerra in its full potential.