Sign in to follow this  
HughesMDflyer4

An Interesting Future for Outerra

They are apparently hard at work integrating Osm data.

And yeah, the terrain colors can be a bit odd at times. The good thing is that they acknowledge the issue, and seem confident that all will be resolved.

I did not know that, good news indeed. It seems to me that inertia is moving Outerra slowly but inexorably in the direction of flight sim. It's fun to watch.

Small update:

Testing Ambient Occlussion on the Cessna cockpit. Confirmed: Its real-time!

The difference is hard to notice. Right Click on the images and open them in another tab. Then flip back and forth between the tabs to see what`s different.

Without AO

ibnoQmCwFNVl6f.jpg

With AO

ibpGDHcfMKzPsk.jpg

I did not know that, good news indeed. It seems to me that inertia is moving Outerra slowly but inexorably in the direction of flight sim. It's fun to watch.

OSM roads, buildings

Many people aren't content with the pristine unspoiled world, and are asking about getting all the civilization stuff in. Since OT can overlay vector data over the procedurally generated terrain, and the existing road engine generates the roads from vector data, import of an existing vector database of roads and other data will be possible as well.

OpenStreetMap is one of the possible sources for the road data and much more - rivers, fields, artificial forests and parks, building footprints etc. The roads and rivers will be the first to import, after the engine exposes interfaces for import plugins, allowing programmatical creation of OT roads and other entities. Import process will produce binary files usable directly by the terrain generator. The format is probably not going to be published - it's likely to change as the engine evolves, and for example right now the data even cannot be generated without knowing some of the data from the internal engine structures representing the terrain.

Some of the internal features being developed to handle the needs in this area:

• extended road system capabilities - separate properties for the left/right side, configurable road profiles, markings
  • seamless road joins, splits (the existing data format puts some limitations on it)
  • "river bed" road profiles and river water surface shaders
  • polygonal vector mode for larger overlays - large rivers with well defined bank shapes, lakes, but also for fields, pastures, artificial trees or tree removal, terrain leveling etc
  •  

The thing to remember is that even as things trend that way, they seem a little wary of us. If you look at some other threads here, its easy to see we can be a bit.... demanding.

Almost frighteningly so.

The wariness is warranted.

Small update:

Testing Ambient Occlussion on the Cessna cockpit. Confirmed: Its real-time!

The difference is hard to notice. Right Click on the images and open them in another tab. Then flip back and forth between the tabs to see what`s different.

Without AO

ibnoQmCwFNVl6f.jpg

With AO

ibpGDHcfMKzPsk.jpg

Pretty nice

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

The thing to remember is that even as things trend that way, they seem a little wary of us. If you look at some other threads here, its easy to see we can be a bit.... demanding.

Almost frighteningly so.

The wariness is warranted.

Yes I can see why they might be wary. :lol:  Still Austin has managed to carve out a nice living for himself and his crew marching largely to his own drum. I wouldn't pay the moaning crowd too much heed were I them.

Awesome I cannot wait to get home and play with this.  I may even throw money their way to support them.  Just in general its exciting even if no flight sim comes out of it (To which I will be very sad about)

Just some recent screenies of Outerra in action. Things are filling in quite nicely!!!!

screen_1405992968_zps52db8d04.jpg 

screen_1405992883_zps69a8d917.jpg

screen_1405992946_zps4d96bb78.jpg

screen_1404354683_zps017a4764.jpg

screen_1405992381_zpscc46d152.jpg

screen_1405992485_zps4265231a.jpg

screen_1403061222_zpsb225059e.jpg

screen_1404013545_zps7079bc55.jpg

screen_1401849085_zps0f1fd5b3.jpg

screen_1401849078_zps64d54602.jpg

screen_1402942839_zps5d84f6a2.jpg

screen_1401903658_zps09aff1a7.jpg

screen_1404070895_zpsef3cb312.jpg

screen_1403976887_zpsa1ae750e.jpg

screen_1402942819_zps9466f89a.jpg

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Lets hope this turns into "something". Great screenies Devon!

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Lets hope this turns into "something"

+1, these shots look really nice and show the potential this engine has. 

Does anyone know if they intend on doing a version for Mac OS X at some point?

+1, these shots look really nice and show the potential this engine has. 

Does anyone know if they intend on doing a version for Mac OS X at some point?

Yep. They said they will definately make a Mac version. I don`t know when though.

Lets hope this turns into "something". Great screenies Devon!

+ 1000000

Indeed!

Awesome stuff here going on!

What a grand set of shots here from the outstanding and evolving OT engine!

Amazing really!

HiFlyer are those waves moving? I need to update and fire it up then. Haven't used it for months. Where was

this sea shot taken with what settings?

Yes, they said also a Linux version to be in the works. Seems we only need global airports to get

a new flightsim to take off...