Sign in to follow this  
HughesMDflyer4

An Interesting Future for Outerra

Hmm, a cubic metre of air at sea level has a mass of 1.225 kg. Clouds float at a fixed height, so they must have roughly the same density as the air. That means a metric ton of clouds is about 1,000 m^3 at sea level, or in other words, the amount of cloud that fits in 10x10x10 metres... not really that much actually ;)

This has been your nerd post of the day... please continue business as usual.

You would have to take cloud altitude and water vapor saturation into account to correctly determine the density of a cloud.

But that's irreleavant, as this was just my family-friendly replacement for the more well known term "f+++ton" as a unit for extremely large quantities. ;)

If there is one part of Outerra that had me a bit concerned, it was volumetric clouds. The most efficient Cloud engine I know of, SilverLining/Skymaxx, is amazingly lightweight for all the things that it does, and for my money, it outperformed X-planes built-in solution by a very wide margin. Yet there was still a significant frame-rate price to pay, and its an open question whether that price is inevitable, or whether its something particular to the way it was implemented in X-plane.

Outera specifically rejected SilverLining as not reaching certain of their goals, such as horizon to horizon and global coverage. They have their own solution in the works designed specifically for the Outerra technology, but how will it affect framerate? My take is that currently, even in a worse case scenario, Outerra has more than enough frames to spare, and in the best case, they will do something very clever and wow us all. (until we come up with the next objection)  ^_^

The solution will probably look like Flight Gear's. Accurate weather up close and simplified models at a distance.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

True, but when talking about a possible kick-starter, aviation was front and center, and the need for clickable cockpits was mentioned. That being said, Outerra is not a flight sim. Its a world simulator, with potential relevant to the interests of flight Simmers, as well as many others.

It could just as well be a Racing sim, a Train sim, a Fishing sim, a Boating sim.......

Wargames? Bet the military is watching.

In the meantime, here's a look at some work being done on tree shadows. Slowly but surely they are pulling it all together!

jrEAqOW1WU7nu_zpsab5a41ab.jpg

jlCKob8M6TiK4_zpse433c546.jpg

jweEqh9FWC5sz_zpsa4ae9a5d.jpg

I wouldn't mind a flight sim, though.  ^_^

Are those pics posted in the outerra forum ?

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

Are those pics posted in the outerra forum ?

Yup.

Also; Wanted to post these...... Nice work as usual by Outerra User Awac9

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

KYc9X1f_zps6c49d339.jpg

PMLIbCm_zps4984aa93.jpg

alialiali has released a pre-alpha of his Jet for Outerra. Just keep in mind that its very much a WIP and have fun!

Pre-Alpha Release: 0.01

Hello all,
After a few requests, I have decided it's time enough for a small pre-alpha release. 

Download
To download, simply click download zip on the right side of the screen. 
I know this isn't the easiest way to host the file, but it allows me to keep all the updates in one place and also easily allows me to push out new releases.

Current Known Issues:

• Landing Gear Start inside the aircraft and deploy on spawn
  • Landing Gear lever animations are not working
  • Landing Gear sounds start/end at the wrong time
  • Engine sound mess up when engine is turned off/on
  • Missing wheel cover on back left side wheel
  • Missing faces in the rear of the cockpit

Thanks,
Ali

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Fog...need to try that with the above plane.

Keep in mind the plane is VERY early. But an encouraging note is that Outerra is apparently becoming known in the flightgear community, and people very familiar with JSBSIM are stopping by to take a look. Hopefully this can only help in the fidelity of upcoming flight models.

Devons rig

Keep in mind the plane is VERY early. But an encouraging note is that Outerra is apparently becoming known in the flightgear community, and people very familiar with JSBSIM are stopping by to take a look. Hopefully this can only help in the fidelity of upcoming flight models.

its kind of amazing how fast they can build a jet for outtera. this is surely good news for developers 

its kind of amazing how fast they can build a jet for outtera. this is surely good news for developers 

Especially as in most cases these are enthusiastic amateurs just finding their way. 

There are still tools needed however, within Outerra itself to do more, but these efforts are a great start and a showcase of potential.

Devons rig

Here are some guys who are so eager to do something with Outerra that rather then wait, they have just went ahead and started their project. Good luck to them!!

http://www.moddb.com/games/eveworld/videos/bombing-run-visualisation

Devons rig

Here are some guys who are so eager to do something with Outerra that rather then wait, they have just went ahead and started their project. Good luck to them!!

That looks like something with potential! I will keep watching where that goes.

That looks like something with potential! I will keep watching where that goes.

This is where I have always seen Outerra heading. But they have to keep in mind that there are other innovative programmers out there, and if they take too long, somebody just might eat their lunch!

Devons rig

Looks gorgeous.

Well that puts FSX to where it belongs. Obsolete, 10 years old flickering, broken AA, FPS eating cr*.

Looks gorgeous.

Well that puts FSX to where it belongs. Obsolete, 10 years old flickering, broken AA, FPS eating cr*.

A lot of people have worked over the years to draw FSX past its original limitations, and I don't think even its creators ever imagined many of the things it can do now. But as an older program, there are some inherent design decisions that restrict how far it can be enhanced and still keep backward compatibility.

The attraction for me of Outerra and programs like it is that they approach things from an almost entirely new angle, taking much greater advantage of modern hardware. It offers the possibility of a level of realism that it would be hard for any older program, FSX included, to match.

If the tools eventually match the looks, people will come.

Devons rig