Sign in to follow this  

So i just reinstalled my whole system.. and defragged my hdd... it took 5 days and nights!!!.. with O and O "complete defrag by file name"... I had ALOT of stuff to install on the drive..It was at 80 % fragged before it started.

If you have a look at the screenshot, Im very happy that its only 0.61 % fragged, but my newbie question is how come there's so much "red" on the drive if its only 0.61% ??

cheers 

defrag.jpg

14ppkc-6.png

Have been using Diskeeper for many years. Tried O & O about 3 years ago and dropped it like a hot potato after encountering the same problem you seem to have come across...5 days & nights.

Only problem with Diskeeper is that it does not Optimise files...defrags quickly though. However after they changed the UI I decided to stop using it. In my opinion it was a backward step. 

I now use  Auslogics Pro Defragger  which is quick and Optimises files. There is a free version here :-

http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/

The paid for version has a few extra bells & whistles which you may or may not find useful. The free version works very well and you can choose to include Optimise or not when you run it (takes a little longer...1st run on a 500GB install on a 1 TB disc took 6 hours). A defrag run on its own takes about 3 mins once the initial 1st run has been completed.

Ultimate Defrag by Disk Trix has many followers  http://www.disktrix.com/  who swear by it. Tried the 30 day trial myself but found it just too much. Not unlike O & O and the 5 days & nights....just do not need all of that.

Think you will be pleasantly surprised with Auslogic Free, I know I was. That's why I bought the Pro version.

Arnie....if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

I just built a new system and tried to do a Complete:Name defrag with O&O as well since it the one NickN recommends.  I finally gave up after 26 hours and looking like many days to go at the rate it was going and downloaded the free trial of the latest version of Ultimate Defrag.  I had good results from the older free version of it on my old system.  It did a great job and in way less time than O&O.  Another nice feature is that you can click on each sector of the drive to see exactly what files it has placed there.  It also lets you organize your directories and files almost any way you wish.  If you purchase it within 7 days of downloading the free trial they give you a $10 discount.  I was happy so I bought it after 2 days.

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2

This is very contravertial, and frequently has third party defrag fans screaming at me. But here goes...

Myself, and friends, tested O&O according to the gurus advice, and found no advantage.

In my opinion, after many years of building PC's, and running flight sim, it's a complete waste of time and money. Just snake oil, a placebo effect I'm afraid.

Flight sim runs great for me, no stutters, great frame rate, and that's just with the standard windows defrag every month or two. In my view, wasting time wearing out your hard drives with fancy defrag software is counterproductive.

No offence intended to those that think differently, this is just my opinion based on my experience.

No offence intended to those that think differently, this is just my opinion based on my experience

I agree with you.. I used to be pretty anal about defragging, but now I'm lazy and seldom bother, and guess what?... everything runs in just the same manner as it did when I fragged several times a week.

I agree with you.. I used to be pretty anal about defragging, but now I'm lazy and seldom bother, and guess what?... everything runs in just the same manner as it did when I fragged several times a week.

Yep, but you can bet the third party defrag fans will be along very soon in order to give us a good bashing. :LOL:

you wouldn't believe some of the responses I've had, after politely posting my opinion.

Defragging is a good way of burnng your HDD out quite quickly, the only way you will get it perfect and be able not to worry about whats on it and how it gets access to it quicker is by using an SSD and I now have FSX and XPLANE10 on an SSD and its worth the investment and defragging is a thing of the past even when adding software into the flight sims ORBX runs superbly and no stuttering. If you can get one - do it and forget about defragging etc.

Boy, am I glad I'm getting a Solid State Drive for FSX in my new Computer build.  NO DEFRAGGING!  I'll get a free defragger for my secondary drive (not for FSX).  I've had

O & O for a few years, and YES, I'm not too impressed with the job it does nor the time it takes to do it.  The newer versions, which I bought, promised more speed and better performance.  I've not seen that.  I'm done with it when my new computer arrives within a week.

Stan

Yep, par for the coarse in my opinion Stan. What it does do is make money for the guys that coded it.

Some time ago, someone gave me a link to a Microsoft technical article, that explained why excessive defragging was pointless. Can't track it down unfortunately, but my own experience has shown me that it's the case.

This is very contravertial, and frequently has third party defrag fans screaming at me. But here goes...

Myself, and friends, tested O&O according to the gurus advice, and found no advantage.

In my opinion, after many years of building PC's, and running flight sim, it's a complete waste of time and money. Just snake oil, a placebo effect I'm afraid.

Flight sim runs great for me, no stutters, great frame rate, and that's just with the standard windows defrag every month or two. In my view, wasting time wearing out your hard drives with fancy defrag software is counterproductive.

No offence intended to those that think differently, this is just my opinion based on my experience.

+1:

Have changed from Windows defrag to Ultimate Defrag (3), but can't see the improvement. UD seems to be quicker than O&O, but where's the benefit compared to the Windows tool?

I don't think Windows took allows for File Name or Last Accessed or high performance selections.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |