Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

Lockheed Releases P3D V2.1

I wish to do a clean install of 2.1, but I currently have FSUIPC, OpusFSX installed. Does this mean I have to reinstall those all over again after I do a clean install of P3D v2.1?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I only had a few minutes to actually test 2.1 because I spend all evening trying to get TrackIR to work with 2.1. Since I couldn't get it working, I spend the last minutes of the evening flying around without TrackIR to see how 2.1 performed. 

At first I was very disappointed because I had very obvious and constant stutters. Those stutters were gone after disabling FTXG's vector road lights. (I wonder if anyone else is having performance problems with those FTX lights enabled?) I did NOT add AM to the cfg and set fps to unlimited and performance seems quite okay. I flew around with the Acclaim which is pretty fast (> 200) and I noticed textures loading nearby: not good. More obvious than in 2.0, so it seemed (although it's always hard to be sure because you pay too much attention to details). Still… there still seem to be some minor stuttering. It's hardly noticeable but it seems less smooth on my PC somehow. Turning on Vsync and limiting fps (to 34) only seemed to make things worse (and at least fps was considerably lower with those settings on). AA with only using MSAA from within the sim seemed to be better than it was in 2.0.

Of course I can't say anything definitive yet because I hardly had the time to test (and I won't be able to test more until tomorrow evening… if I can get TrackIR working, that is, which apparently needs a total system reinstall…).

I have to say though that I am beginning to get very tired of setting up flightsims… During the last weeks I didn't fly because I wanted to wait for 2.1 and so I played a few games and boy… I could install them and then ENJOY them without having to spend hours to figure out the best settings! In fact, all games I tried ran flawlessly at the highest settings so I only had to spend a few seconds on the option screens ONCE after which I could play the game. Simple as that. This made it clear to me how utterly ridiculous it is how much time we are forced to spend in the flightsims options screens and cfg's… and I also have to say that I am getting sick and tired of it. If I can't get TrackIR working tomorrow (after a complete OS reinstall… it's ridiculous) and if I can't get P3D running in a nice way in a day or so I am inclined to forget about flightsimming and throw everything out of the window.

I only had a few minutes to actually test 2.1 because I spend all evening trying to get TrackIR to work with 2.1. Since I couldn't get it working, I spend the last minutes of the evening flying around without TrackIR to see how 2.1 performed. 

At first I was very disappointed because I had very obvious and constant stutters. Those stutters were gone after disabling FTXG's vector road lights. (I wonder if anyone else is having performance problems with those FTX lights enabled?) I did NOT add AM to the cfg and set fps to unlimited and performance seems quite okay. I flew around with the Acclaim which is pretty fast (> 200) and I noticed textures loading nearby: not good. More obvious than in 2.0, so it seemed (although it's always hard to be sure because you pay too much attention to details). Still… there still seem to be some minor stuttering. It's hardly noticeable but it seems less smooth on my PC somehow. Turning on Vsync and limiting fps (to 34) only seemed to make things worse (and at least fps was considerably lower with those settings on). AA with only using MSAA from within the sim seemed to be better than it was in 2.0.

Of course I can't say anything definitive yet because I hardly had the time to test (and I won't be able to test more until tomorrow evening… if I can get TrackIR working, that is, which apparently needs a total system reinstall…).

I have to say though that I am beginning to get very tired of setting up flightsims… During the last weeks I didn't fly because I wanted to wait for 2.1 and so I played a few games and boy… I could install them and then ENJOY them without having to spend hours to figure out the best settings! In fact, all games I tried ran flawlessly at the highest settings so I only had to spend a few seconds on the option screens ONCE after which I could play the game. Simple as that. This made it clear to me how utterly ridiculous it is how much time we are forced to spend in the flightsims options screens and cfg's… and I also have to say that I am getting sick and tired of it. If I can't get TrackIR working tomorrow (after a complete OS reinstall… it's ridiculous) and if I can't get P3D running in a nice way in a day or so I am inclined to forget about flightsimming and throw everything out of the window.

I'm starting to feel the exact same way as you. All this endless time messing with config files and settings is really starting to wear me out. I don't know how much I can deal with it anymore also. As much as I love this hobby, it is starting to get ridiculously frustrating. I did a clean install when P3D 2.0 came out and then slowly installed my add-ons, and now I hear that I have to do another clean install for 2.1? Seriously? I wouldn't mind so much but doing this time and time again without getting any results is really putting a strain on me. Especially for those who have a ton of add-ons, this is a very time consuming task in itself. I spend more time trying to tweak and get things right than I do actually flying itself. I'm probably going to give 2.1 one last shot, and call it quits if I have to go through all this trouble again. Sad I know, but sometimes enough is enough.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

After reading this post, I decided to go for the full install. So I uninstalled P3D, which is on my E drive, leaving the folders (i.e. Lockheed Martin/Prepar3D v2 ) intact (I deleted what ever was left after uninstall) Once I had reinstalled (with no problems) I noticed that the new install had completely ignored the "Prepar3D" folder and just installed to the Lockheed Martin folder! Strange.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

I can't believe how smooth 2.1 is running on my system.

I removed the application settings folders and uninstalled FTX Global and other sceneries.

After this i ran the patch.

I run moderately high settings with unlimited frames vsync but no triple buffering.

It is really smooth on my system even in bad weather using Twin Otter Extended and St. Maarten around 46 fps.

I use Rex Texture Direct and the older Rex weather engine.

Autogen seems less, but i need to spend more time in sim.

Has anyone tried SweetFX or ENB with 2.1? 

Not sure about ENB, but SweetFX does work.  It seems, for me at least, the stutters are more prominent with it on, though. Not sure if SweetFX is the cause or something else.  I'm still testing and configuring the settings. I'm getting stutters if SweetFX is on or off.

UAL770.png

I have to say though that I am beginning to get very tired of setting up flightsims…

Fully agree. That's exactly why I'm currently thinking of just putting Prepar3d aside until at least the second half of the year and just see how things develop. In the meantime, I will just continue flying in FSX which works perfectly on my rig. Prepar3d definitely looks nicer but all this hassle for just some more eye-candy? I don't think it's worth it right now. And I'm getting really tired of this one step forward and two steps back thing. For example, I just can't understand why they messed with the autogen radius which was perfectly fine in 2.0 and know just looks crappy... I just want to fly and don't want to deal with all those errors and problems in Prepar3d...

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Just read that A2A planes, including the C172, have various problems with 2.1. And up to now A2A hasn't been very supportive for P3D 2 so that's one plane (my default plane!) down the drain for at least a while. Darned… I am beginning to wonder if I should try to get things working at all right now.  :( (Yeah, I know, I probably will but really………)

Just read that A2A planes, including the C172, have various problems with 2.1. And up to now A2A hasn't been very supportive for P3D 2 so that's one plane (my default plane!) down the drain for at least a while. Darned… I am beginning to wonder if I should try to get things working at all right now.  :( (Yeah, I know, I probably will but really………)

Weird, I loaded 10 gallons of fuel into my C172 yesterday before flying, just fine.

One additional observation: When I start a flight at KLAX at daytime and "fair weather" with the default A36 and FTXG (no other add-on scenery), I just get around 23-25 fps even though the GPU load is only at 35-40% and the CPU cores are at around 50%. Turning down all the eye-candy doesn't really improve fps. I just don't understand why Prepar3d doesn't use the available resources. Everybody keeps saying that P3D2 needs a powerful GPU, which mine certainly is (GTX780), but then doesn't really utilize it...

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

One additional observation: When I start a flight at KLAX at daytime and "fair weather" with the default A36 and FTXG (no other add-on scenery), I just get around 23-25 fps even though the GPU load is only at 35-40% and the CPU cores are at around 50%. Turning down all the eye-candy doesn't really improve fps. I just don't understand why Prepar3d doesn't use the available resources. Everybody keeps saying that P3D2 needs a powerful GPU, which mine certainly is (GTX780), but then doesn't really utilize it...

same for me GPU usage at 45 percent, GPU memory at 12 percent with nearly completly maxed out settings (GTX780 4 Gbyte).

I really wonder on what machines LM is running and testing P3D..... No fun so far

Carsten U

Hmmm, scenery loaded nicely, but my AXE A320 has a few issues. The ND doesn't turn on. Also, can't get GSX to work.very strange. Other than that, had no issues.

Sent from my Mobile thing

the only way I had GSX to install was to change prepar3d v2 exe  to the version 2,0,04498  and after installed revert back to 9936    with resource hacker

the most annoying thing is that OOM'S now occur even fatser than with 2.0.....

Carsten U

the only way I had GSX to install was to change prepar3d v2 exe  to the version 2,0,04498  and after installed revert back to 9936    with resource hacker

Ain't it simply amazing how all we FS nerds use tools like Resource Hacker simply to be able to use our software :lol:

Richard Åsberg