Sign in to follow this  
rwat

fs9 vs fsx flight dynamics?

I have over a thousand hours in the RW C185 and so when I got the Carenado product, I did some tweaking of the .cfg for FS9. But I have to emphasize:

1. It was the Tundra tires version, so the changed contact points will not work properly with the standard C185

2. I have very limited skills when it comes to this kind of thing, so I would definitely not claim that my changes are the definitive ones.

What I changed was:

1. Contact points for the tundra version were based on the standard one and main wheels were too low. (Because tundra tires have larger radius and Carenado apparently didn't test it with the different version - though they may have fixed it with later releases as I did write to them)

2. Pilot eye point was too low. Though I'm below average height, I could still see more over the nose of the real thing than I could in Carenado's version

3. I can definitely verify, based on some very embarrassing experiences, that the 185 has to be handled right on landing or it will BOUNCE and BOUNCE and probably bounce one more time! LOL But it isn't "twitchy" really - it is lighter on the controls than say the C206 but is a very pleasant aircraft to fly with controls that are responsive but still very stable.

To minimize stressing the tail-wheel, normal landing is to do a "wheel landing" with a little bit of power on to give good elevator authority and try to kiss the wheels on in a slightly tail low attitude. (I do mean slightly low - inches - just a little past level with the ground) As soon as the wheels touch or even just before, check slightly forward on the controls to plant the wheels firmly on the ground (avoiding floating which will lead to some comical bouncing) to get rid of some lift while closing the throttle at the same time. This tail up attitude also gives you a better forward view than a three-point landing as well as being more able to handle any wind gusts or cross wind. Hold the tail up until just before you lose elevator authority and then lower the tail-wheel gently onto the ground. Stir well and add a dash of vodka - oops, wrong recipe!) :-)

Cheers

Ian

ps. Same technique is also used for the DC3 - you would almost never do a three-point landing in this aircraft

Ian,

You are absolutely right; I should have said "twitchy on Final" instead of "... by nature". The Skywagon IS very docile in Cruise, and is very stable in both turns and when climbing/ descending.

Poor choice of words on my part.

Alan Hobbes_cartoon-emoticon-0011.gif 

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

Ian,

a perfect tutorial. I bought the normal wheeled C185 when there was a sale recently, and I still regret not to have bought the bush version, too. However I tested this plane at a little airport (Milford sound) and gave 3 notches of flaps. It would have been hard not to land on two wheels...!

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

Oh sorry guys maybe avsim blocked the link for whatever reason, just go to the downloads section of bushpounders.com and it is on the top of the list these cfg and air file upgrades were done by the same guy as the update posted on carenado.com I believe, and they are just more accurate as they have flight models for the tundra, float, amphibian ski and normal models and it would be great if you could try these kiwiflyer45 and tell us how realistic they are since you have flown the real thing. (:

Oh sorry guys maybe avsim blocked the link for whatever reason,

I don't see where anyone edited your post to remove a link.  I know I didn't remove it, at any rate.  If you send me a PM with the link, I'll see if there is any reason why it might not have stuck.

Cheers,

Jeff

Maybe I backspaced it without realizing it, the source of the link is easy to find so it does not matter anyways. (:

Hi,

the .air file from this download crashes my sim (it's for FS X, isn't it?). Will using the aircraft.cfg modifications alone without using this .air file bring any benefits?

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

Well, the air file isn't going to work as it's a native FSX file, but the aircraft.cfg file can be used to update the FS9 one and that could be helpful.  The FS9 version flies pretty well from what I've experienced, of course not having flown it in real life, I have to base that on my general experience in other Cessna's.  Maybe we can coerce and cajole Ian into sharing his amended cfg with us, since he is the clear expert on this plane.  :wink: :wink:

haha maybe, and thats a bummer that the fsx air file won't work, because I have noticed that the air file of a plane makes a large difference in its flight model, maybe editing the cfg alone will provide decent results idk, have you ever tried using an fsx air file with fs9?

Edited by rwat

Yes absolutely jon_aus, but the airfiles do make a difference and fsx isn't necessarily more realistic, it depends on the way the planes flight dynamics are destined, you will get the context of what info i'm seeking if you read the original question and earlier comments. I'm not asking about fsx Vs fs9 flight dynamics (sorry the title is misleading) I am asking if transferring flight dynamics of an fsx plane to an fs9 plane will keep the original flight dynamics of the fsx plane. 

Oh ok. Cool. Sorry. It was the red wine affecting my thinking. :D

haha (:

haha maybe, and thats a bummer that the fsx air file won't work, because I have noticed that the air file of a plane makes a large difference in its flight model, maybe editing the cfg alone will provide decent results idk, have you ever tried using an fsx air file with fs9?

I tried this one, just for giggles, but I was pretty sure it wouldn't work.   I own both versions, FWIW.  :)    There's a big difference in the air files for FSX vs FS9.  If I remember right, the files are forward compatible but not backwards.  I've heard that there are some aircraft that were ported from FS9 to FSX where the FSX files work in FS9, but I couldn't tell ya what they are.   Truth be told, the planes I fly in FS9 are very well tuned and I've never found it necessary to mess with the .air file.  I can usually get pretty close to real world with tweaks to the aircraft.cfg file and tweaking the curves in FSUIPC when I feel a need to fiddle with things There's more than one way to skin a cat, as they say.   :smile:  

Edit:  As far as flight dynamics go in FS9, all of the Real Air offerings are about as good as it gets.  They're all fantastic, and the SF 260 is downright scary in how quick she'll bite you if you're not paying attention with the more advanced maneuvers.