Sign in to follow this  
MDF86

Best all round AI Traffic package?

There is no such thing as "best traffic addon". They are all mediocre to satisfactory at best. I have tried all of them and UT2 is probably my favorite, but I say that in protest.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

It has taken a lot of time and effort for me to update some airline schedules, and add new ones in UT2. However, it makes a massive difference when compared to the default UT2. I only fly in the UK and Ireland, so I was only concerned with those aircraft that operate into and out of this region. However, it was still hard work, and I wouldn't want to have to do it all over again!

Hi Chris

You sound exactly like me, although I'm concerned with the whole of Europe (though Uk and Ireland above all)

How did you go about getting all of these schedules into the program? I have purchased and installed UT2 but I note there is nothing at all for one of my favourite airlines - Thomson - who I would expect to see all over the UK.

Did you download these schedules from somewhere then import them into UT2?

Many thanks

I downloaded the latest flightplans available for each airline that I wanted from the AVSIM Library (usually AIG or UTT), and also as many different AI planes as I could find (there are quite a lot of different ones available for certain airlines, but only a handful for others). I then installed the AI planes (using a separate Airplanes_AI folder in my SimObjects folder), and modified the Aircraft.txt file in the relevant flightplans package with the titles of those planes that I wanted to use. After that, I needed to modify the Flightplans.txt file with the new Aircraft.txt file data.

Once that was done, I used UT2 Powerpack to integrate the flightplans into UT2. This requires adding each of the AI planes that have been defined in the Aircraft.txt file into the database, and also any airport data that UT2 does not have (not usually required, but sometimes one or two need to be added). The integration itself is a fascinating little exercise, because a world map is displayed, and the UT2 routes can be seen being added (together with proper waypoints). Once this has been done, the new UT2 flightplan needs to be integrated with the main UT2 database, which is basically "two clicks and it's done".

Of course, this needs to be done for ALL of the airlines that you want to either add or replace! If you replace an existing UT2 schedule with a new one, you need to disable the UT2 version of that airline schedule in the main database (the "UT2 Weekly Official" file). This is done through the UT2 utility itself.

Oh, I almost forgot. You then need to assign the repaints to the UT2 database. This uses the "ui_variation" statement in the aircraft.cfg file, so it is imperative that you make sure that each of these is unique. This is not always the case.

So, a very time consuming task.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I downloaded the latest flightplans available for each airline that I wanted from the AVSIM Library (usually AIG or UTT), and also as many different AI planes as I could find (there are quite a lot of different ones available for certain airlines, but only a handful for others). I then installed the AI planes (using a separate Airplanes_AI folder in my SimObjects folder), and modified the Aircraft.txt file in the relevant flightplans package with the titles of those planes that I wanted to use. After that, I needed to modify the Flightplans.txt file with the new Aircraft.txt file data.

Once that was done, I used UT2 Powerpack to integrate the flightplans into UT2. This requires adding each of the AI planes that have been defined in the Aircraft.txt file into the database, and also any airport data that UT2 does not have (not usually required, but sometimes one or two need to be added). The integration itself is a fascinating little exercise, because a world map is displayed, and the UT2 routes can be seen being added (together with proper waypoints). Once this has been done, the new UT2 flightplan needs to be integrated with the main UT2 database, which is basically "two clicks and it's done".

Of course, this needs to be done for ALL of the airlines that you want to either add or replace! If you replace an existing UT2 schedule with a new one, you need to disable the UT2 version of that airline schedule in the main database (the "UT2 Weekly Official" file). This is done through the UT2 utility itself.

Oh, I almost forgot. You then need to assign the repaints to the UT2 database. This uses the "ui_variation" statement in the aircraft.cfg file, so it is imperative that you make sure that each of these is unique. This is not always the case.

So, a very time consuming task.

Wow, sounds like quite the task. But I'm sure it's very rewarding now it's done.

My first priority is to add the obvious missing airlines that I expect to see such as Thomson, and find some better quality repaints. I just fired up my local airport and am surprised how pixelated and blurry the easyjet (for example) repaint is when viewed from the flight deck parked next to it

I was using WOA happliy, but 'upgraded' to UT2 and my framerates universally took a hit. Judders and stutters everywhere I flew. 

So I reinstalled WOA and everything is smotth and happy flying again. Not bothered myself about up to date schedules, I just want contrails in the sky and airports with a buzz of activity and some international tail fins showing above the gates. 

I like my traffic at 100%. 

I have MyTrafficX 5.4b. I agree the AI planes do not look as nice as the ones in the default UT2. But if you have to go through all the work described above you could likewise upgrade the AI models in MyTrafficX. I have not had the time or energy to do this.

I did try the UT2 demo before purchasing MyTrafficX. The main reason I did not purchase UT2 is because everytime you access the drop down menu bar in FSX all the traffic dissappears and you have to wait awhile for it to repopulate. I'm surprised that this rarely gets mentioned in these "what's the best traffic" threads. I guess it doesn't bother others as much as it did me.

The latest version of MyTrafficX from SImmarket is 5.4c. A number of people are having FSX ntdll crashes with this version and are reverting back to 5.4b which eliminates the crashes. The developer cannot replicate this issue on his machine and thus is having difficulty finding the cause. The UI interface is old and clunky and not very easy to learn. Looks DOS based. After its installed and setup you can forget about it.

I guess the answer is there is no clear best out of the box AI Traffic solution. Depends on what you want and how much effort you want to put in. I just wanted some traffic at airports with realistic airlines with minimal effort and maintenance.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

My first priority is to add the obvious missing airlines that I expect to see such as Thomson, and find some better quality repaints. I just fired up my local airport and am surprised how pixelated and blurry the easyjet (for example) repaint is when viewed from the flight deck parked next to it

There are a reasonable number of Thomson repaints available, including some in the new colour scheme. As for Easyjet, there are plenty of different A319s available, but only a handful of A320. A large number of repaints also have 32bit texture options these days....

Check out the AVSIM Library, Flightsim.com, United Traffic Team, AIG, Impulse AI, and the FAIB site for models, repaints and flightplans.

The main reason I did not purchase UT2 is because everytime you access the drop down menu bar in FSX all the traffic dissappears and you have to wait awhile for it to repopulate. I'm surprised that this rarely gets mentioned in these "what's the best traffic" threads. I guess it doesn't bother others as much as it did me.

I never touch the drop down menu once I start a flight, so it is not an issue for me.

I guess the answer is there is no clear best out of the box AI Traffic solution. Depends on what you want and how much effort you want to put in. I just wanted some traffic at airports with realistic airlines with minimal effort and maintenance.

I certainly can't argue with that. The only reason I persisted is because I am a perfectionist, and once I decided that I needed certain flightplans and AI planes in FSX, my fate was sealed!!

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

There is no such thing as "best traffic addon". They are all mediocre to satisfactory at best. I have tried all of them and UT2 is probably my favorite, but I say that in protest.

how much time did you spend changing liveries or adding new ones ??

14ppkc-6.png

how much time did you spend changing liveries or adding new ones ??

Actually none...I am pretty happy with the default liveries. I am more of a GA flier and have added more GA ac to the list, but thats about it.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

Answer to what???

That said, I recommend Ultimate Traffic 2 for the following reasons

I've tried a few and prefer UT2 above all else.

UT2 is awesome as it is but if you want to make it amazing you need to update the planes and the paints of quite a few airlines. 

ut2 is epic...have a look at my twitch chanel and the recent flights, its shows max ai traffic on a variety of routes.

Alright, I get it, UT2 is popular, however are the AI Aircraft FS9 or FSX, tired of black disks on prop Aircraft.

Alright, I get it, UT2 is popular, however are the AI Aircraft FS9 or FSX, tired of black disks on prop Aircraft.

They are FSX models.

Dont forget, there is a 30 day money back policy so you can return it if you dont like it and you can then try another AI addon.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I have always prefered MyTraffic X, light on frames and fully SP2/DX10 compliant.

Plus the support is first class and it is not using simconnect as I have enough addons already hammering that interface.