Sign in to follow this  
peppy197

New Calgary SIMADDONS CYYC available

I hate their pricing, I hate how I would need to have CYHZ ( which I have...) but still pay that much for a new airport

I have all there scenery but  $40 dollars is way to  much imho, unless its like flytampa quality. And this base pack thing just does not make sense to me.

...., unless its like flytampa quality....

I will check it out soon (have to fly in from Winnipeg first) and maybe post some opinions

But as far as photos go its a new day here at AVSIM and I dont know where to post these

Pretty impressive approach to R16 with Alderie in detail (autogen style) with the Calgary Trail road traffic actually merging from ramps, smooth

Fits visually, seemlessly, with FTX_Vector

Calgary skyline is impressive, colortfull with the gold glass and the blue glass skyscrapers.

Foothills beside airport has the right landclass detail with houses right up to the base of the hill, then an almost treeless bare top thereafter.

Airport is quite well detailed (not a fulll FlyTampa but close)

Westjet has its hub there.

FPS friendly landed full details at 22 fps in PMDG NGX , and UT2 at 50%, all sliders to the right, REX4 clouds, 3150x1680 res

For 40$ I would have liked to have an additional small airport thrown in for free like the CYQM package does

Im a BETA tester for Ralph and this secenery is great, expensive but ver ygood.

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

Am I the only one who's offended by their pricing scheme?  Halifax is like no where near Calgary.  Even if it was flytampa quality I wouldn't buy it just based on their pricing scheme.  And don't give me the "you need the core libraries" tagline to justify the pricing.  I would've happily handed over money for Calgary and Banff (as I've been there)

They can of course price it any way they want to....but I will vote with my wallet.  Even captain sim with another pricing policy I hate gets my money sometimes.  Could you imagine where orbx would be if they forced people to buy Australia to be able to buy PNW?

I'm okay with higher prices as long as developers keep releasing high quality scenery. The market is tough with this economy and FSX being such an old platform. I just bought Orbx California so maybe next month!

Higher prices are fine.....but this is price gouging in my opinion. 

And if you want the P3D version......you have the privilege of having to buy it again with a completely different bundle forced on you. 

I'm all for developers getting paid for their work (I am a software developer myself).....but this pricing scheme leaves a really bad taste in my mouth.

And if you want the P3D version......you have the privilege of having to buy it again with a completely different bundle forced on you.

I'm all for developers getting paid for their work (I am a software developer myself).....but this pricing scheme leaves a really bad taste in my mouth.

Fully agree with both your posts.

I'm voting with my wallet too, shame though

Price gouging can only happen when you're dealing with necessities like food, fuel or water and someone attempts to take advantage of a situation (say a flood or hurricane) to charge exorbitant rates.  This is not that. ^_^   Here you can simply choose not to pay the price asked.  Willing buyer, willing seller and all that.

That said, we all vote with our dollars and the odd pricing structure requiring an airport or airports that I won't ever use has always put me off as well.  I would've purchased several of their western Canada fields (CYCG, CYLW, CYXS) and perhaps this one as well, but for this.  I can't tell you how many times I've almost bought Kelowna in particular and then just couldn't make myself do it.  I know it may be silly - heck if they'd just added a few bucks to each field I'd have most likely willingly paid the same amount in the long run - but this way it just feels wrong and so my flight sim purchases go elsewhere.

Scott

Price gouging can only happen when you're dealing with necessities like food, fuel or water and someone attempts to take advantage of a situation (say a flood or hurricane) to charge exorbitant rates. 

Semantics...I consdier flight simulator addons necessities. :)

Pretty impressive approach to R16 with Alderie in detail (autogen style) with the Calgary Trail road traffic actually merging from ramps, smooth

Fits visually, seemlessly, with FTX_Vector

Calgary skyline is impressive, colortfull with the gold glass and the blue glass skyscrapers.

Foothills beside airport has the right landclass detail with houses right up to the base of the hill, then an almost treeless bare top thereafter.

Airport is quite well detailed (not a fulll FlyTampa but close)

Westjet has its hub there.

FPS friendly landed full details at 22 fps in PMDG NGX , and UT2 at 50%, all sliders to the right, REX4 clouds, 3150x1680 res

For 40$ I would have liked to have an additional small airport thrown in for free like the CYQM package does

Yes, like maybe Springbank too.

Tom 

OK, the two 'reviews' posted here seem good but unfortunately there are no screenshots of Calgary on Simaddon's website. The screenshots present on the website, mainly Halifax and some of their other airports, certainly do not appear to be even close to Fly Tampa standard, but Halifax airport itself seems to be of a reasonable quality.

On the plus side, the Halifax base package includes a few other airports and also the city itself seems to have been modelled to a reasonable standard, although I agree the package is quite expensive and I too do not like their overall pricing scheme. I am however very keen to add some more Canadian airports to FSX and I would like to see some more reviews of Calgary before making a final decision and certainly some screenshots either here or on their website would be helpful.

Bill

Addendum: I got that wrong - there are screenshots of Calgary although there are none under the 'pictures' link where I was looking! To be fair, from these screenshots, Calgary looks to be of a much higher quality than Halifax. Am tempted now!