Sign in to follow this  
fakeflyer737

Blurry Picture

Ya so I was using DX10 FSX with NVI and my picture was great, but I just installed PPv2.2 and the picture is very blurry, not clear and I dont mean textures not loading. I messed around with AA in the PP3Dv2.2 UI but nothing seems to work, should I disable all that stuff and just use Nvidia inspector?

Cheers

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I have today installed P3D and have spent hours messing around with this same issue. Just not a sharp image. Also, when I turn off HDR to improve performance, I lose all the contrast in the image and everything looks like I'm seeing things through a slight haze. BTW, none of this is helped by being unable to get Vsync to work in P3D, in Nvidia Inspector or through D3D Overrider!

Strange guys. Can you post your settings? I have a bottom range rig but I have no blurries, great picture and smooth sim

Sent from my Mobile thing

I lose all the contrast in the image and everything looks like I'm seeing things through a slight haze.

Try turning off FXAA if you have it on.

gb.

none of this is helped by being unable to get Vsync to work in P3D, in Nvidia Inspector or through D3D Overrider!

It works fine for me if I can get above 60 FPS.

Forget about setting it in NI or Overrider for the moment.

Set Vsync on in P3D (and maybe tripple buffering) and reduce P3D settings to get above 60 FPS and see if it kicks in.

gb.

Hi guys !

Based on my own experience, despite strong hardware you can mount, watch for your water quality slider !

It eats a huge amount of processor work and causes the hated blurrie texture problem even over hi FL !

I have set it on LOW end suddenly blurrie is disappeared..

Hmm, OK, I don't wish to sound  dismissive, but all I seem to be doing with P3D is winding down all the settings to get it to run properly!

Hmm, OK, I don't wish to sound  dismissive, but all I seem to be doing with P3D is winding down all the settings to get it to run properly!

To be fair Howard you are pushing a few pixels there.

I find it great on one 24".

Add two more 24s and I have to wind things back quite a bit.

gb.

To be fair Howard you are pushing a few pixels there.

I find it great on one 24".

Add two more 24s and I have to wind things back quite a bit.

gb.

Sure, I appreciate what you're saying matey, but in FSX the extra few pixels only had a hit of about 8%, not a lot. So far, since yesterday, I have tried every possible combinations for Vsync and different P3D sliders and still have bloody awful performance compared to FSX. I mean flying with autogen turned to normal, FXAA off, Tessalation off, LOD turned right down, water on low and no shadows anywhere, not terrain, aircraft, nowhere and it still gives crap performance, not just frames but blurrries and stutters. eg, around KSFO I could never get anything smooth with frames barely above 19, the same with KSEA. This is with all the turned down settings as described and flying with fair weather theme!! It's just rediculous. Something must be amiss somewhere.

Sure, I appreciate what you're saying matey, but in FSX the extra few pixels only had a hit of about 8%, not a lot. So far, since yesterday, I have tried every possible combinations for Vsync and different P3D sliders and still have bloody awful performance compared to FSX. I mean flying with autogen turned to normal, FXAA off, Tessalation off, LOD turned right down, water on low and no shadows anywhere, not terrain, aircraft, nowhere and it still gives crap performance, not just frames but blurrries and stutters. eg, around KSFO I could never get anything smooth with frames barely above 19, the same with KSEA. This is with all the turned down settings as described and flying with fair weather theme!! It's just rediculous. Something must be amiss somewhere.

Howard,

Have you deleted the Prepar3D.exe profil in NI? If not try it

Try also AffinityMask=14 or 15 with HT off. I was getting blurry textures after 30 minutes but this helped

Michael 

Howard,

Have you deleted the Prepar3D.exe profil in NI? If not try it

Try also AffinityMask=14 or 15 with HT off. I was getting blurry textures after 30 minutes but this helped

Michael 

Hi Michael, sure, I've tried all that but with little success. I will have another go later today, cheers. BTW, adding affinity mask set at both 14 and 15 made no difference to anything!

I understand that you are trying every combination.

With your video card tessalation should be on Ultra especially with lower other settings.

gb.

I understand that you are trying every combination.

With your video card tessalation should be on Ultra especially with lower other settings.

gb.

Thanks, I'll try again later today, cheers.

Well, me thinks it's back to FSX! Just tried a flight from Bella Cool, so virtually nil autogen, with average settings throughout, with min cloud shadows, and when I loaded a cloudy Orbx weather theme, the sim dropped to a stuttering mess with barely 8/10 frames!

Howard. I sympathise. I went from Fsx to P3D v1.4 then tried P3D v2.2. Admittedly my system is now quite lowly (i7 o/c to 4.2 and GTX480) but I couldn't fly with any of the goodies turned up so I'm going to ask for a refund. At the moment I'm having pleasing success with FSX DX10. It's smooth and I love the cabin shadows AND I can still use my FSX planes and scenery! I'm sure P3D is the future, but need to upgrade hardware first. Best wishes in finding a solution.

Pete

Howard. I sympathise. I went from Fsx to P3D v1.4 then tried P3D v2.2. Admittedly my system is now quite lowly (i7 o/c to 4.2 and GTX480) but I couldn't fly with any of the goodies turned up so I'm going to ask for a refund. At the moment I'm having pleasing success with FSX DX10. It's smooth and I love the cabin shadows AND I can still use my FSX planes and scenery! I'm sure P3D is the future, but need to upgrade hardware first. Best wishes in finding a solution.

Pete

I agree Pete. It seems a step backwards for me. My FSX has been a gem, smooth as silk in most scenarios with almost no OOM's, and relatively well behaved. So I have a lot to sacrifice and fail to see any benefits. If it means running at low settings on everything, just to get the thing to run then I really can't be bothered. It's hardly the fact that my rig is not capable, I mean let's get real, 4.6Ghz with a GTX770 4Gb! My rig's hardly a slouch.

Well, me thinks it's back to FSX! Just tried a flight from Bella Cool, so virtually nil autogen, with average settings throughout, with min cloud shadows, and when I loaded a cloudy Orbx weather theme, the sim dropped to a stuttering mess with barely 8/10 frames!

Your system is simply NOT capable of running with cloud shadows ON in very cloudy weather. You might get some satisfaction by playing around with different cloud sets.

The cloud shadows can easily overload your GPU and when that happens it steals cycles from the CPU which causes lower frames and possible stuttering.

Even at lower settings in P3D they are still set HIGHER than FSX - it's all relative.

I've found that by reducing the cloud layers and turning OFF cloud shadows during heavy weather, I get smooth frames and it still is visually stunning.

Whereas with FSX we were continually tweaking, P3D2 is another animal - it is MUCH more sensitive to the settings.

A suggestion - use something like MSI Afterburner to monitor the GPU % usage - start adjusting sliders - rebuild shaders between adjustments - watch the GPU usage - when it gets to 99% - watch the frames - you'll get the hang of what works for YOUR system.

Vic

For me it never goes above 85% and most of the time it is around 40%.fps still below 30.

I will try Robs settings later.

Michael

This is the same evolution that was experienced with FSX. People structured, and adjusted their systems, to a satisfactory level. Then something new came out for FSX and the system now longer worked. Everyone was warned that there would be an impact and either better equipment or lower sliders may be needed.

Despite that there was a chorus of complaints when the new goody caused distress on some systems. New goodies sometimes cost customers money - the old "free lunch" saying.

My system is far from high end since I always purchase one or two generations behind the tech curve. 

i5 2500K overclocked to 4ghz, 8gb 1600 memory, nVidia GTX 550 1gb memory video card.

Right now I am on the edge of buying either a CPU or video card. I have not done anything yet since I can get quite good performance with most sliders at the mid point. I skip terrain shadows but do run cloud shadows at the minimum 6000 meters. A very nice experience. Would I junk P3DV2.2 if the cloud shadows were too much for my system? No! The future is with the P3D product not FSX. I will soon bite the bullet and buy some more stuff to get ALL the nice shadows. Most of my "flying" is done with ORBX territories. The regions landclass is so good you can turn off the autogen trees and still see a creditable scene. I could go on but the bottom line is if at least 1/2 sliders setting, or 1/2 value settings do not work then there may be some setting that is an issue. Inspector should be a thing of the past.

One other thing. I saw that setting the affinity mask to 15 (all 4 cores allocated to P3D) helped with blurred (blurries) textures. I did not believe it as most tweaks never helped me. But it was true. Quite fast resolution of ground textures was the result. There may be other affects but can't see them.

To the original poster and Rockcliff,

may not be the same issue but when I started using P3D I too noticed the ground textures were not as sharp as FSX.  Now all the poster said was the P3D was blurry but I assume he means the ground textures and not like the aircraft or buildings.

I was comparing my photoreal in FSX and the same location in P3D and there was a definite difference.  It was not "loading time" where after a few seconds things pop into clarity on the ground.  Thought I had tried every combination.

As said, may not be the same issue but I did not see this mentioned here.

How did I solve it?  Cranked up the Texture Resolution slider all the way right. BAM!  Most incredible sharpness.  Guess I had moved in down in the past without realizing it.  I now keep my at 15cm unless some scenery states they are using 7cm.

Remember - with FSX we were completely at the mercy of the CPU. The GPU was just there. ANY adjustment we made affected the FPS. Well now with P3D they've offloaded a huge amount of the processing to the GPU so we are back at finding the BALANCE for our individual system.

Some settings will affect ONLY the GPU and visuals. Others will affect ONLY the CPU and FPS.

AI traffic for example has a big hit on FPS and has no noticeable affect on the GPU. Clouds and clouds shadows have a huge effect on the GPU and NO effect on FPS *unless* you push other settings high enough to overload the GPU - then frames drop and stutters begin.

IMHO, settings are MUCH more critical in P3D than they ever were in FSX.

Until hardware catches up ( boy! haven't we heard that for years!) and more streamlining is done by LM, I really believe the best option is to have several CFG files set up for different flying conditions. IFR with heavy overcast, VFR scattered, VFR heavy cover, etc

Vic