Sign in to follow this  
ah2511

Disappointed

Just my half-a-penny here, I had these 3-5 second freezes in the sim that have been plaguing me lest week. Using the search function I found that someone fixed it by removing their FSDT JFK. And I though it may have something to do with addon manager.

Sure enough, I reinstalled addon manager from the fs dreamteam website and I no longer have these momentary brainfart moments in the sim.

It may not be anyone's issue here but just sayin'.

Sounds like common sense. What I came here to say was very simple; pare back the system to defaults first, bring back stuff till the problem surfaces. A programmer would not sequentially look through an ordered list, he would perform a binary search pattern. Not too dissimilar is debugging FSX issues, there's a quick way, and there are slower ways.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Nope, thats normal when you remove HIGHMEMFIX.

That is the reason it is there.

Some have problems where the aircraft is not visible from the outside if they remove this.

Thank you for telling me that when I need support that I should not come to the SUPPORT FORUMs.....makes total sence.....NOT.

Can you read?

For the 10th time, THIS IS A CLEAN INSTALL with NO .cfg TWEAKS!!

This is also a dedicated FSX system with NOTHING else installed on it!

Not even an anti vir scanner at the moment!

It can not get any cleaner than this, other than removing the 777 and/or OPUS.

But since it is my goal to fly the 777 with FSX....it makes little sence to remove that now does it!?

I have a totally clean .cfg that has never been messed with other than the HIGHMEMFIX=1 fix and WIDEVIEWASPECT=TRUE.

But like I said before.....I am not talking to you anymore.......

The info I give here after each of my test flights are for others.

To see if they have the same.....to compare.

So maybe we can come to a common cause for the freezes.

I do not post my result for you as you have a perfect. pro, system that does not freeze.

So please stop commenting my posts....you are not helping me nor anyone else with your un-logic and come back when all works fine replies!

thx.

Rob Robson

It can not get any cleaner than this, other than removing the 777 and/or OPUS.

But since it is my goal to fly the 777 with FSX....it makes little sence to remove that now does it!?

No need to be rude, I'm not going to ignore people for such silly reasoning. If you want to get to the bottom of a problem you may need to start without Opus, and yes even try a flight without the 777, it does actually make sense to be sure your system does work properly. Face it, fresh Windows installs need a lot of careful setup of drivers and there can be a myriad of problems. What you have indicated in these posts is a fundamental issue surrounding your setup.

...obviously side tracked on this but deserved more testing with/without HIGHMEMFIX=1 since it's upset Kyle and everyone else. It's a fix for some older cards to allow more than 512Mb of textures. Apparently some say for later systems with high spec GPU can improve texture loading speeds, but in theory should make no difference. Very little in it on the 3960x+GTX680, but every time the HIGHMEMFIX=1 setting uses around 200Mb more VAS, no idea why, probably just the result of a slight change in memory layout. No perceivable difference in performance although it did seem to drop to a lower fps in a few spikes around pushback. Another system with different screen res, memory, or GPU, or other addons, airports, or aircraft, may benefit from it, I've never seen it but it is reported. The only thing I can find is, it seems you can save around 200Mb VAS without highmemfix.

Steve, what are you full specs?  Have a look at my system, I definitely see an overall improvement with HIGHMEMFIX=1 

Rob Prest

I will have to look at my fsx.cfg more closely tonight, because I couldn't find the "HIGHMEMFIX=1" statement during a quick scan yesterday. I guess this is something that needs to be manually added by the user, rather than being automatically added when FSX Gold Edition is installed?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Hey Rob,

Non OC, 3960x, GTX680, 32Gb, 4Tb Intel RAID10, Win8, 1920x1200, DX10, CH Pedals throttles and yoke. FSX+A, with a good smattering or airports and scenery addons. I've mostly been testing with addon scenery off and only the 777 items in the dll.xml, no FSUIPC. With highmemfix I was thinking there's next to no difference, but I found lightning seemed to cause it to pause, just perceivably, which resulted in the odd low fps spike I had noticed earlier. Just had another back to back test and even just starting up sat on the runway the fps is almost identical but definitely less stable with the lightening. I don't need that fix on this system. I've never seen the pauses with the 777, but then I've not had time to play with all the good stuff and use it in an infinite number of circumstances. If there's a problem somewhere somehow with it, I hope it comes out in the wash. But full credit to PMDG and their aircraft, it runs well on an off-the-shelf PC system hardware from a couple of years ago.

Like in my silly story, the guy could not face running a first flight without his plane. If he had run a stock plane he would have found his system worked without error. Then if he simply added in his plane he would have seen the fault. Even then I had a job preventing him from putting on half a dozen airports and weather engine before testing, and no one would have a clue why it hung - poor logic not. He was getting nowhere fast.

I will have to look at my fsx.cfg more closely tonight, because I couldn't find the "HIGHMEMFIX=1" statement during a quick scan yesterday. I guess this is something that needs to be manually added by the user, rather than being automatically added when FSX Gold Edition is installed?

Yes Chris, you open up fsx.cfg and scroll down to the graphics section and add the line HIGHMEMFIX=1 just below [GRAPHICS] :

[GRAPHICS]

HIGHMEMFIX=1

You can place a semicolon in front of it to temporarily remark it out when not using it

;HIGHMEMFIX=1

Look in

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\PMDG\PMDG 777X\Flight Manuals

There's a list of recommended settings in PMDG-777-Introduction.pdf

That's correct, Christopher...it has to be added by the user. And I see that Steve beat me to this!

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

Hehe, sorry Wayne. Another recommended setting I'll probably get burned at the stake for ignoring, is setting turbulence off. Seems unaffected by quite strong turbulence no different to other aircraft in FSX at least, obviously the 777 is compensating, but hand held keeping it true seems quite good, I've been enjoying it.

Rob:

some things I just thought on:

Maybe it could help in eliminating freezes.

Rob:

some things I just thought on:

Maybe it could help in eliminating freezes.
Hi, not sure what Rob this was for.

But I have a clean, not tampered with FSX installation because that is the only way I will ever be able to tackle them freezes.

- UIAutomationcore is only for CDTs upon accessing FSX Menu bar INflight. (I dont use it)

- FSX sits on its own dedicated SSD

- a follow the recommendations of another well respected source. He recommends not to tweak the .cfg too much. I listen to him, wich is why only have HIGHMEMFIX and WIDEVIEWASPECT in there. I do not use affinitymask.

- I will have a look at your link for the runtime installers. But the PMDG installer is a smart one and should check that all required is installed.

The original broken C++2005 library that ships with FSX, I have replaced with one from Microsoft support.

Thx for the ideas.

As for my test flights with the 777 to determain what causes the freezes....

As previously mentioned, I did two flights with ALL AI traffic disabled and with the OPUS weather engine running. Those two flights showed no freezes.

Then I did two flights with Airline AI on and the OPUS weather engine running.

Both frooze!

So I thought....SEE it is that AI traffic again.

Then I did another two flights with all kinds of AI on and the OPUS weather engine NOT running.......and.....NO freezes!

So now it looks more like a combo of 777 with AI and OPUS weather.

I will do more tests to try and establish a pattern.

If a combo is the cause....then it could be any combo on other systems (whatever combo taxes the system too much I guess).

And then each user just has to find out what he needs to turn off or down to stop the freezes.

Note: I quoted myself so I can have all my test flights in one post.

I did two more flights.

Both with exactly the same settings/ conditions.

Both with all kinds of AI traffic (but no cars).

This time I used the Task Manager (CTRL ALT DEL) to assign the OPUS weather engine to the last CPU core (core 3 in my case).

Both flights ended without a freeze.

I will do more tests.

But in the mean time, maybe others can try running FSX utilities on their last core and see if that helps?

Rob Robson

- FSX sits on its own dedicated SSD

Could there be some strange fault or firmware issue? For a test, install FSX onto the default drive and set Write and Modify permissions for the Users group on the FSX program files folder, then install the 777 (may need to uninstall first). Still would make a lot of sense if you tried a vanilla FSX. :smile:

Hey Rob,Non OC, 3960x, GTX680, 32Gb, 4Tb Intel RAID10, Win8, 1920x1200, DX10..........

Maybe DX10 is why HIGHMEMFIX works different on your system!

We are not comparing apples with apples here cause I use DX9 !

Rob Robson

Yeah, I keep forgetting that, DX9 a distant memory. I will give it a go.