Sign in to follow this  
ah2511

Disappointed

Weird. I have never experienced any freezing either. None of the bugs reported affect me also. Lucky I guess.

The only reason I`m waiting for SP1 is weather radar and ASN! In fact the only bug is that I cannot fly any other plane now!

I enjoyed Kyle's WX video. Good to see it in action.

It only happened to me once. Got it sorted out pretty fast with resource monitor,  there was a problem in the wait chain with a service IIRC. Killed the problematic process/service, flew on.

Maybe if you could pinpoint what service/process makes the sim hang, PMDG could tell you how to fix it.

Those freezes are still under investigation. So not fixed yet in internal PMDG builds.

Pls. note that these freezes cannot necessarily all be related to the PMDG B777: The "tower view freezes", for example, are a FSX bug; the T7 can't be held responsible for them.

This is exactly correct. We are basically certain that the freeze stuff is not occurring directly in our code. We can see that in the debugger when we've been able to reproduce it. It's FSX itself that is freezing (in fact you can see that the 777 code continues running because the plane uses fuel while the freeze is occurring) - we are not sure why as of yet, there's clearly some kind of interaction going on but you guys have to understand how difficult this sort of thing is to troubleshoot. We don't have the FSX source code, we can't see exactly how the freeze happens and look at what function in the code it's in etc. All we can see for certain is that the CPU loop that's triggering it isn't happening in one of our airplane's code functions. It's also not clear that all of these different "freeze" reports are actually coming from the same underlying cause. We've seen people fix their freeze issues at support by doing things like turning down or disabling AI traffic, changing their CPU AffinityMask setting in the FSX.cfg file, disabling certain sceneries etc. We think the freeze may be a symptom of multiple deeper underlying causes in the simulator, not just one specific thing that can be fixed.

There have been a ton of changes in SP1 (no tester has reported these freezes in it) so I think what we're going to do is release SP1 and see if somehow the issue has been mitigated as a result of all the changes. If the issue still persists, we're going to devote time then specifically to trying to solve it and we'll be recruiting customers with the issue to test specific changes and attempts to isolate the cause.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

There have been a ton of changes in SP1 (no tester has reported these freezes in it) so I think what we're going to do is release SP1 ...

Thank you, Ryan, this is good news! :P

Johann van Rhyn

I can understand your pain, Ryan. Not being able to access the FSX source code must make the debugging process an absolute nightmare with a complex aircraft like your 777 :blink:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

It only happened to me once. Got it sorted out pretty fast with resource monitor,  there was a problem in the wait chain with a service IIRC. Killed the problematic process/service, flew on.

Maybe if you could pinpoint what service/process makes the sim hang, PMDG could tell you how to fix it.

Checked my wait chains a couple of times after you had reported your findings for the first time, Peter. Could never really nail it down to anything, unfortunately.

So my first priority is the mitigation option ( :lol:).

Second chance would be the guinea pig road ( :P): I volunteer/-tear myself.

Edited by olli4740

I can't tell you exactly how to fix it, but this is what I have done over the course of a  week to my fsx that fixed it.

I rebuilt my fsx cfg file. only adding affinity mask, highmemfix

I used Flight1 AFX to search for duplicate afcad files, there are hundreds if you install FTX Global and AEC for example.

I set fsx to unlimited frames.

I have the latest fsuipc,

http://fsuipc.simflight.com/beta/Install_FSUIPC4931.zip

And downloaded the latest Makerunways and ran the exe in the main fsx folder

http://fsuipc.simflight.com/beta/MakeRunways_4675.zip

Before, I narrowed it down to possibly the fault of Active Sky Next, because AS2012 ran fine. But the latest ASN Update 5 works fine and no freezes anymore. I was not 100% sure, but a flight with as2012 had no problems and with asn it always froze after an hour or so in flight.Update 5 works. If you use a different wx program, maybe it is a conflict with the way it handles weather using a dll file like ASN did, that AS2012 did not.

I had OOM problems that have been mostly fixed by doing the dupicate afacd routine. Example, FTX PNW Blue installs an afcad for CYVR. But I have FSDT CYVR, so I went into the PNW05scenery folder and removed the 2 CYVR bgl files. Now I can fly for many hours with no issues. This weekend was a 15 hour flight Chicago-Shanghai, yesterday EDDF-ZSPD and today EHAM-ZSPD.

I hope that helps!

I am still testing my fresh install and the moment experimenting with Bufferpools.

I got two freeze flights already that I had CTRL ALT DEL out of!

I am not saying that Bufferpools causes the freezes, but it could be and is worth a shot....

If you are using Bufferpools, then:

Try without the BUFFERPOOL entry

Try with different valus for the rejectthreshold

And try with Usepools=0

Rob Robson

Never mind :-(....

Disregard the above, I am staring at a freeze right now without Bufferpools in the .cfg

This is quite surprising.

I have a fresh Win7 + FSX install with almost no addons.
Only have PMDG777 and OPUS (weather engine) installed at the moment.

EDIT: I should add that my (3 so far) freezes happened during 4x accelerated flight.

Testing normal speed flight now with AI traffic off.

Rob Robson

4 flights with 4x accelerated flight. (I let it go for about an hour).

Two flights without any AI - no freezes

Two flights with AI (no cars) - freezes

A bit early for a final conclusion, but a tendency for sure.

Rob Robson

4 flights with 4x accelerated flight. (I let it go for about an hour).

Two flights without any AI - no freezes

Two flights with AI (no cars) - freezes

A bit early for a final conclusion, but a tendency for sure.

This gels with what some other customers have said at support. I don't understand it though - I've flown a ton with 100% UT2 AI, road traffic on etc and I have never seen the freeze.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

This gels with what some other customers have said at support. I don't understand it though - I've flown a ton with 100% UT2 AI, road traffic on etc and I have never seen the freeze.

At the moment I am using default FSX AI because I want to test my fresh Win7 + FSX install with only the PMDG777.

Before that I was using MyTraffic and never ever saw a freeze with that!

So that is interesting to say the least.

Maybe it is just the default FSX AI that has a bug?

I am now testing one by one with different AI settings.

Did two test flights and It seems Airline traffic does not cause the freezes here.

Not even at 4X speed!

Next up will be General aviation traffic, then airport ground services (do you use airport ground services Ryan?), then boats/ships.

Rob Robson

Maybe it is just the default FSX AI that has a bug?

No FSX is good. First thing I do is dismount any addon Ai aircraft from the sim and test without. There can be hundreds of models and only takes one to have some kind of problem. One system may get CTDs the other not, because the aircraft needs to be selected for a particular schedule, one may never get it scheduled in due to flying in a completely different area or time of day.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

No FSX is good. First thing I do is dismount any addon Ai aircraft from the sim and test without. There can be hundreds of models and only takes one to have some kind of problem. One system may get CTDs the other not, because the aircraft needs to be selected for a particular schedule, one may never get it scheduled in due to flying in a completely different area or time of day.

Huh?

You mean FSX default AI is good, but addons can be buggy?

I have NO addons installed!!

(except the PMDG777 and OPUS weather engine)

I am still testing, but if it continues like the last few flights, then DEFAULT FSX AI is the problem here.

Maybe some people have default AI that works fine and for others it is buggy.

Rob Robson