Sign in to follow this  
MBE007

Do X-Plane users want Payware airports?

Interestingly, and as already pointed out, ORBX have stated they have no interest in doing this for X-Plane because of "warts" in the system or some other unknown reason. Also, I noticed FranceVFR also stated they haven't been able to do this for X-Plane because of something it doesn't support that FSX does regarding object placement.

I'm quite sure such things are possible in X-Plane, and somebody with the time and incentive could do regional texture/building packs using the library system. The European library for autogen really changes the way X-Plane looks in Europe and could easily be further regionalised to individual countries. Couple this with the right base textures and using something like HD Mesh for more accurate town/village placement, and we'd have a winner in this regard. If anyone is interested in the scenery system inside X-Plane, then I recommend reading the inteview with Andras Fabian http://xsimreviews.com/2011/12/10/developer-interview-andras-fabian-mr-x-terrain/

I do believe it's a mistake for them to ignore X-Plane. It's only a matter of time before someone else comes along and does it, maybe starting as freeware like ORBX originally was, and growing to become a paid project. Photo scenery is nice, but it takes up too much space and also it's hard to get a good balance between the 3D objects used and the photo scenery, e.g. colour differences, season changes, etc. If I was good with art and image editing, I'd even have a go myself, but my artistic skills are awful :-)

I don't know why they don't give XP scenery a chance. They have the knowledge, they have the 3d objects.

Can ORBX scenery be converted? Maybe it needs a lot of rework and the ground textures will not work. But those little airports should look nice.

I don't know why they don't give XP scenery a chance. They have the knowledge, they have the 3d objects......

Wrong! They quite likely only have part of the knowledge (especially the terrain / landscape part is working quite differently from MSFS ... airports are likely more "common") and thats the most probable reason why they shy away from "converting" ... But I can assure you, that the XP10 system is quite likely not more complicated than MSFS .... probably even "easier" in its concepts.

But its definitely not true, that XP10 would limit developers .... Beti-X has already proved that with their CZST scenery:

Generally it's one of those sore subjects that one does not discuss on their forums, for risk of a ban. I've also heard that their scenery doesn't convert well to X-Plane, and also the license doesn't allow this either.

IMO, they've done the hard part, i.e. They have a library of high quality textures. With some clever programming, I'm sure in time they could get this working, e.g. With matching autogen files matched with the textures, as it seems to work in FSX. But, it seems their decision is final, so as John Venema has said, it ain't going to happen

Would I buy payware airports?  Maybe - if it were an airport I normally use (home or destination).

I think that the freeware airports and the ability to "build your own" with WED work very well.  Yes, I have invested more than my wife understands in aircraft (Carenado) and SkyMaxx Pro, but that is universal - something seen during the entire flight - not just at the beginning or end.

For those who didn't know X-Plane in their previous releases, it has come a loooonnnnng way.  There was not even any way you could - as has been done here - compare it with FS 2004 or FSX.  There was (besides the lack of airport scenery) a lack of terrain scenery.  Yes it was there, but nothing looked familiar.  Now, terrain detail is great and better (In my view) than any other simulator (bar none).

References to ATC in FSX are valid, but are they realistic?  I find them to be a big distraction to my enjoyment of flying.  Just too much flipping through canned scripts to make the little benefit worthwhile.

I appreciate the work that has gone into the product and have almost completely switched over to X-Plane.

John

John Wingold

Generally it's one of those sore subjects that one does not discuss on their forums, for risk of a ban. I've also heard that their scenery doesn't convert well to X-Plane, and also the license doesn't allow this either.

IMO, they've done the hard part, i.e. They have a library of high quality textures. With some clever programming, I'm sure in time they could get this working, e.g. With matching autogen files matched with the textures, as it seems to work in FSX. But, it seems their decision is final, so as John Venema has said, it ain't going to happen

I think it mainly is a reasonable business decision ... time, money, resources ...

Producing high quality airports (sceneries) for FSX itself/solely is already quite a challange if it is done in a profitable and commercially successfull way.

Now ORBX also develops for P3D - so there is two platforms that need proper treatment - asking for continuous support, a demand for updates and so on ...

The good thing - in my opinion at least - is this one:

Although i also really wished that ORBX would support X-Plane as well, i can also fully accept the decision of the people in charge there, because as a customer/enduser i rather prefer high quality payware above "compromised quality" payware.

So if i want to fly above ORBX sceneries nowadays (what i really do like very often), i use FSX - if i want to fly above the X-Plane world reshaped by the great World2X-Plane tool for instance, then i fly in X-Plane!

But again:

I'd very highly welcome dedicated 3rd party airports for X-Plane and also purchase them!

It all did work out for almost all the MSFS series for years - so why shouldn't it work out for X-Plane as well - especially now where MS is no longer further developing their FS series.

Sure: There is P3D. But it is still early stages there (although quickly growing) - and so there is some kind of "momentum" for X-Plane - and by the way:

Why not releasing sceneries for X-Plane and P3D alike?

:wink:

One has to wonder if, as the XP market expands wth ever more rapidity, John Venema's business head will overrule the previous decision that's been made in that regard.

Maybe I'm just seeing what I want to see but it does seem to me that the level of interest in XP is on an upward trajectory. It's good to see levels ramping up outside the insular confines of the .org and in the realms of the traditionally MSFS/LM fora. I too have switched entirely over to XP having used the other sims as my primaries for many years. I simply had to once the comparison became too stark and the others just couldn't be seen by myself as coming anywhere even close to achieving the levels of immersion and realism of XP.

Customers want eye candy, the sweeter the better. Customers want variety, the more the better. Laminar isn't into eye candy (ask them about environment mapping using cube maps). Laminar can't do too much about variety, although the lack of new developers to the simulator (at this stage of the game) is alarming.

...so to answer the OP's question, sure, if you build it (quality), they will buy it. We're desperate! :lol:

I don't know why they don't give XP scenery a chance. They have the knowledge, they have the 3d objects.

Can ORBX scenery be converted? Maybe it needs a lot of rework and the ground textures will not work. But those little airports should look nice.

Sure the have the 3d objects, but about knowledge I'm not so sure. X-Plane is a different beast from FSX and things work a lot different. Creating high quality scenery (or any kind of add ons) requires deep knowledge of how things work. I don't know if they have invest in looking to X-Plane at all, or so deeply to master the knowledge. But I don't think that is a problem. In the time that might take ORBX to get that knowledge, we will see more developers emerging from X-Plane world and offer high quality sceneries.

Oh and 3D objects in general is not that huge problem. Generally the 3D objects required for simulators are not that hard to made. The hardest thing is to add to these objects the special attributes needed to work and look nice.

But I can assure you, that the XP10 system is quite likely not more complicated than MSFS .... probably even "easier" in its concepts.

+1

I will add that X-Plane also supports the latest developments in hardware and software. So, X-Plane gives developers all the tools to create great sceneries. But that cannot be overnight. X-Plane 10 was a HUGE leap forward and many things changed a lot. It will take time, but it will come the day that more and more great add ons will emerge!

LES_signature_300px.png.fb92590eee91bc5f31a172293bd6014f.png

Sure the have the 3d objects, but about knowledge I'm not so sure. X-Plane is a different beast from FSX and things work a lot different. Creating high quality scenery (or any kind of add ons) requires deep knowledge of how things work

This is very true, but also lots of knowledge is luckily transferable. e.g. I'm sure Orbx has lots of tricks with texturing and other things that can be applied to X-Plane and creating 3D models in general. Also, it's worth mentioning that X-Plane is under active development, and it's still possible to request new features or things to be changed in the simulator, and I know from experience that they do listen and if feasible, will implement requested features. Luckily of course, this is also possible in P3Dv2 as that is also being actively developed, and is good news for the future.

Since a number of the developers AFAIK are freelancers for ORBX, I'm a little surprised someone hasn't come forward  (or maybe they have) and proposed to have a go at creating a test scenery, similar to how PMDG are doing.

Laminar can't do too much about variety, although the lack of new developers to the simulator (at this stage of the game) is alarming.

Interest in X-Plane and development seems to come in waves. Last year, we had lots of products all released around the same time which really pushed the Sim forward, e.g. Skymaxx Pro, Saab 340, and the growing popularity of Simheaven's scenery. If you release a good product and hype it enough, I'm sure people will buy it, and bring along a new user or two from their recommendations B)

Interest in X-Plane and development seems to come in waves. Last year, we had lots of products all released around the same time which really pushed the Sim forward, e.g. Skymaxx Pro, Saab 340, and the growing popularity of Simheaven's scenery. If you release a good product and hype it enough, I'm sure people will buy it, and bring along a new user or two from their recommendations B)

Indeed!

It would be great though to get some continuity in X-Plane developments and not only "waves".

So my hope goes out to some new developers primarily focusing on X-Plane ...

but then it all sure is a question of money because overall i think  - although i do not know for sure and can't proof this - that there is still way more money being spent on FSX/P3D add-ons rather than X-Plane add-ons ... It will be hard and quite a challange to change that.

Yet i continue hoping that the "waves of interest" in regards to developing dedicated add-ons for X-Plane" as outlined above will turn into a process of contiunity because that would really help X-Plane and potential developers alike.

And again saying: As many of us here, i am also certainly willing to spend quite some money for it!

B)

Mexico City Xtreme by Taxi2gate MMMX is coming soon.

"Hello everyone,

Today the work for this awesome new scenery has been completed. It will be available in the next few days at simmarket, and in simmarket only. This is the FSX version only.

The good news is that this incredible piece of work, will be available for X-Plane 10 as well. The authorisation for creating the X-Plane version has been given to me, and also the responsibility to represent Taxi2Gate in the X-Plane community. I am honoured to speak officially in behalf of the developers involved and will do my best to represent the interests of Taxi2Gate ensuring that the transition to X-Plane is successful.

After some consideration, I have decided that the best way to enter the X-Plane payware development arena is with a strong product that reflects the high level of quality and functionality that Taxi2Gate has achieved through a long process of developing high quality addon sceneries for MSFS. What best to do that than with their latest and greatest, newest development?

The idea is to implement X-Plane 10's technology thoroughly to make it fully compatible and to achieve the best possible results, both in quality and performance. The road ahead is long, and at this point have not determined an estimated time for release (don't even bother to ask). This will be ready when the product is completed and satisfies the meticulous scrutiny of all involved. 

Taking advantage of the, generally speaking, extremely friendly, generous and helpful X-Plane community, I will be consulting with seasoned developers, well known for their talents and expertise in the various aspects of X-Plane scenery system. We are also considering an alliance with a well known developer for X-Plane for a possible release  as a joint venture. This will deserve an announcement of it's own.

I refrained myself from posting pictures of this beautiful scenery, mainly because they only exists from the FSX screen captures, but rest assured that as soon as there is something to show from inside X-Plane, we will be the most interested in sharing those with you. But if you are curious you can see them here: https://www.facebook...e/photos_stream"

Good to see another developer hopping on board. 10.30 hopefully will increase the momentum.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Mexico City Xtreme by Taxi2gate MMMX is coming soon.

"Hello everyone,

Today the work for this awesome new scenery has been completed. It will be available in the next few days at simmarket, and in simmarket only. This is the FSX version only.

The good news is that this incredible piece of work, will be available for X-Plane 10 as well. The authorisation for creating the X-Plane version has been given to me, and also the responsibility to represent Taxi2Gate in the X-Plane community. I am honoured to speak officially in behalf of the developers involved and will do my best to represent the interests of Taxi2Gate ensuring that the transition to X-Plane is successful.

After some consideration, I have decided that the best way to enter the X-Plane payware development arena is with a strong product that reflects the high level of quality and functionality that Taxi2Gate has achieved through a long process of developing high quality addon sceneries for MSFS. What best to do that than with their latest and greatest, newest development?

The idea is to implement X-Plane 10's technology thoroughly to make it fully compatible and to achieve the best possible results, both in quality and performance. The road ahead is long, and at this point have not determined an estimated time for release (don't even bother to ask). This will be ready when the product is completed and satisfies the meticulous scrutiny of all involved. 

Taking advantage of the, generally speaking, extremely friendly, generous and helpful X-Plane community, I will be consulting with seasoned developers, well known for their talents and expertise in the various aspects of X-Plane scenery system. We are also considering an alliance with a well known developer for X-Plane for a possible release  as a joint venture. This will deserve an announcement of it's own.

I refrained myself from posting pictures of this beautiful scenery, mainly because they only exists from the FSX screen captures, but rest assured that as soon as there is something to show from inside X-Plane, we will be the most interested in sharing those with you. But if you are curious you can see them here: https://www.facebook...e/photos_stream"

Interesting !!!

The Facebook link does not work ?

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

The good news is that this incredible piece of work, will be available for X-Plane 10 as well.

Speedbird4509, that's the sort of e-mail that makes me very happy. The more developers who begin to produce for X-Plane the more we all benefit.

Although Mexico is not really an area I have ever been to, virtually, I will definitely purchase the package if the "incredible piece of work" lives up to your hype  :lol:

The sooner the better.

Greetings

Dave Britzius

(Cockpit Designer and Flight Simulator Hardware Supplier)

Cape Town

http://davebritzius.com