Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

"Microsoft Sells License to FS Franchise" Part 2

Personally I think steam is fantastic

Me too, nowadays I tend to buy pretty much all my games from Steam. Having almost all of your games accessible through one program, automatic updates & ability to easily communicate with others while in game... That's just awesome. I communicate with most of my internet contacts solely through Steam apart from some occasional Skype use 

Sure the support isn't amazing, however the things is I haven't really needed it more than once or so. Seeing how well indie devs are doing with Steam I'm sure there could be a perfectly usable way for third party FS addon devs to publish their work through it too... FSX or similar program in steam would certainly help attracting new people to this hobby. 

I just sure hope that a very extensive history lesson is learned before this new company starts making a total mess of things like the release of FSX (Until Phil Taylor came along) and MS Flight.

My advice is to listen to simmers and keep them happy ( within reason of course ) or it will not succeed.

If its not 64 bit then I intend to totally ignore the product. 

Sounds like if Dovetail Games gets it, off to LM we all will eventually go. One wonders if Dovetail will still allow FSX activations. My bet is they make you pay to activate it at some point in the future.

Eric 

I just wish people would calm down a bit.... lol....

The person will announce when he/she is ready.... So sit tight relax and let them put together something.... Regardless it sounds like happy times ahead of us. I hope whomever it is, enlist the feed back from the major developers. Happy flying .....

5Take Care, Will Clark

My computer: Intel 14900K, Motherboard ROR Maximus Z790 Formula, PSU Dark Power 1600, Ram DDR5 (7200) Vengeance 32GB CL38, ASUS 4090, Keyboard Logitech ASUS, Mouse ROCCAT LEADR Wireless, Corsair M.2 SSD 4TB x2, Headset Astro A50 Wireless, Microphone Elgato Wave 3, Stream Deck Elgato XL, GoXLR, Loopdeck Live, Chair Steelcase Gesture with Headrest, Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG White, Custom Built water cooling, Ek Lian li xl distro plate, Fittings EK & Bitspower, Monitor LG C1 48 OLED, Desk Speakers Audio Engine A5+ White.

Consider how long it took to get MS Flight out in it's VERY limited scope (3 years).

Cheers, Rob.

We do have to consider, however, that Flight's business model was not always set to be the way it was. There is a lot more that Flight was going to be/is capable of that isn't shown in the version that we have available to us. This can be confirmed by various posts from those that were "in the know" over the past few years.

My point being, a lot of effort was put into bringing the entirety of FSX/ESP up to date, but not all of it was utilized. So, quite a bit of time was spent on that. Perhaps Flight's development time would have been shorter if they had plans set on the final business model to begin with.

Brandon Filer

It's amazing to see people taking sides before having any actual information to even take the side of.

Deja Vu.......

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

After carefully reading both threads and considering how weak the PC gaming market is, my guess is that MS sold the FS license to some 3rd party that writes games for the XBox, phones and tablets. This means to me that they probably just bought the rights to the name "Flight Simulator". That also means it will be a whole new code base.

I have it on reasonable authority that the acquisition of the franchise is going to be funded by Steam, in conjunction with this simulation author ( http://store.steampowered.com/app/295810/ ) so as to extend and develop a more up to date world scenery.  :lol:  :lol:

Priceless  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

The Dovetail Games possibility is an interesting angle.

Looking at their website they seem to be a pretty small outfit and their current products cater to an even smaller niche than us. I'm wondering if they really have the deep pockets we keep being told the mystery buyer must posess.

I will make a guess or two: Google or Facebook owner(s) :)

And I am still amazed and puzzled when I hear many live in the illusion that P3D is the sequel or a replacement of FSX meant to entertain them... 

Scenery for Flight Simulators since 1998

Google would be an ideal company to develop the sim.

MS rather dies than sell to Google.

Google is their biggest enemy, after Apple offcourse.

btw i hope it`s not Dovetail, their customer support is just too ridiculously wrong, and prices too ridiculously high.

(they actively wipe not all negative messages on their Steam forum, no they wipe all-messages-total every month on the steamforum, which is unimaginable from any normal person imho)

Could be a maker from Warthunder or the like.

No matter who it is and what they do with the code, it's better than where it was and what was being done with it, right?

If it is the train sim guys who bought the license, I wonder if they picked up the license from the abandoned Train Simulator 2 franchise too? Kinda like a 2 'fer 1 sale?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Train_Simulator_2

The Dovetail Games possibility is an interesting angle.

Looking at their website they seem to be a pretty small outfit and their current products cater to an even smaller niche than us. I'm wondering if they really have the deep pockets we keep being told the mystery buyer must posess.

Dovetail is not really that small. Their creative and programming team size is over 50 people, making anything else we have going on look like the smurfs, and they are flush with cash not just from the PC but also from porting train simulator to consoles. I've believed since the change of name announcement that the logical direction for them to head would be a flight sim accessible to a broad audience, something we tend to look downwards on from a great height here, but which does bring in tangible rewards.

Like a profit.  :lol:

And remember Dovetail began by buying the rights to the existing Rail Simulator franchise.....

On the other hand, maybe its not them, but it would certainly be a great fit. http://www.dovetailgames.com/about

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5