Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

"Microsoft Sells License to FS Franchise" Part 2

Just a little something to add - Those that i mentioned in my previous post definitely referred to FSX as being the target for purchase.  However,  the team that was being put together would use members that developed Flight.

Anyway, I was informed over the last few day's that this team was not successful in getting the bid.  So who knows what the future of the franchise has in store.  I was optimistic because this particular team seemed to want to take it in a direction that most here would have been happy with.

Regards

Rob Prest

.... because this particular team seemed to want to take it in a direction that most here would have been happy with.

I believe that is what the original MS Flight team wanted all along. They're not to blame for the dreadful marketing fiasco.

Well show's over, nothing to see here folks. Everyone get back to simming.

I believe that is what the original MS Flight team wanted all along. They're not to blame for the dreadful marketing fiasco.

Exactly! I was a beta tester for Flight and the MS Flight Team were excellent to work with and were doing their best to produce the best sim they could.  But were too constrained with budget cuts and unrealistic deadlines. Flight was pushed out the door way before it was ready.

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

Well show's over, nothing to see here folks. Everyone get back to simming.

Not exactly. Another team has got the bid...

Rob Prest

Well I see Tom killed the Like/Dislike buttons just in time!!  :lol:

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Wonder why is the party that bought the License holding back on the news? I would think they'd want the press and all the attention they can get.

You remember the "welcome" FLIGHT got? That's why, I suspect.

We're a hard bunch of task-masters, the simming mob. If we don't like something, you'll sure get to hear about it. Wait until you have something we like to show us, or face burning in Hell Fire for eternity. :smile:

Flight was pushed out the door way before it was ready.

Amen to that.

I suspect, if they've coughed up serious bucks to get into the party, which, if I read the reports from Tom etc about the original discussions correctly, and the fact that he says they must have "deeper pockets" than the other suitors, means they have paid something quite large for it, they too will be under the same pressures to recoup on investment, and will also be harassed by $-sign marketing guys to within an inch of their life, then whatever they plan to release (if anything) may be pushed out the door way too early, too. I really hope I'm wrong..

The days when "gamers" ran "gaming" companies are long gone. RIP.

JAKE EYRE
It's a small step from the sublime to the ridiculous...Napoleon Bonaparte
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

It's is not FSX but the MS Flight engine.  :ph34r:

The days when "gamers" ran "gaming" companies are long gone. RIP.

Well all the good  hardcore sims I follow are crowd funded.  Take Elite Dangerous for example, this is what everyone in the space sim genre wanted.

It is a shame that the same cannot be done with FS, unfortunately flight simmers seem to be a very different kind of crowd. 

Rob Prest

If Tom and others are right in speculating it is the TS guys...and if Simflight.com is right and it is FLIGHT that was licensed, then it's pretty much a worst case scenario aside from it sitting on MS's shelf forever.

Their business model is basically what FLIGHT was but with trains. Limited geography, no third party development, limited simulation, etc. If they indeed are the ones who got it expect FLIGHT to be re-released and them to start pumping out DLCs.

For a few people who liked FLIGHT, it's good news. For the rest of us, it'd suck.

Well all the good hardcore sims I follow are crowd funded.

And all the better for it, I suspect. I have kind of given up on crowd funding of games/music after my mate Kris, latterly of The Orb, had his Kickstarter cancelled by them as he hadn't got more than 15k in a couple of weeks (they decided he wouldn't "make the cut" after it was finished, months hence), and the whole Occulous Rift/Facebook nonsense.

Crowd funding a new flight sim has been a long-standing topic, which, if I went by the notional pledges made to threads discussing it, I would have a lot of money! Certainly enough to kick-start a small game. As has also been discussed, a new sim will (not might) cost millions of $$. Not just making, but marketing, testing etc etc

and, you then have to factor us into it, because, as you say:

unfortunately flight simmers seem to be a very different kind of crowd.

You don't say :LMAO:

JAKE EYRE
It's a small step from the sublime to the ridiculous...Napoleon Bonaparte
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

Well all the good  hardcore sims I follow are crowd funded.  Take Elite Dangerous for example, this is what everyone in the space sim genre wanted.

It is a shame that the same cannot be done with FS, unfortunately flight simmers seem to be a very different kind of crowd. 

Flight Simmers are imho very susceptible to Label, 1 of the reasons why LM is getting a lot of respect is that it is an aircraft designer/builder, which makes it look "genuine/official/the real thing".

Which is why i think there is a certain form of distaste for small/medium indie startups, those don`t get the sticker of approval because they`re small, and are in the imagination of not being capable to get the right info/people for the job.

Also a reason Flight wasn`t received well because it looked/felt Indie just because of the styling.

Not exactly. Another team has got the bid...

No the show is indeed over because FS is gone in the way we knew it.  FS9 doesn't need activation should MS pull the plug and LM is the only game in town for the legacy code.  I'm happy we have a cleaned up version of FSX should this truly be the end of the line for the franchise.  We can ride off into the sunset with the last version of the franchise being a very decent effort to hold us over for years.  Now as one has said LM could do the same as Microsoft has done meaning your purchase is controlled by what a company decides to do versus you bought it and can use it for the next 100 years should you like.  If LM does the same down the road we're back with options like FS9 and XPlane which in the long scheme of things XPlane may be the last sim standing when all this is over.  I really wish they address real world weather and ATC in X-Plane as I would switch to that sim and be done with it...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

No the show is indeed over because FS is gone in the way we knew it.  FS9 doesn't need activation should MS pull the plug and LM is the only game in town for the legacy code.  I'm happy we have a cleaned up version of FSX should this truly be the end of the line for the franchise.  We can ride off into the sunset with the last version of the franchise being a very decent effort to hold us over for years.  Now as one has said LM could do the same as Microsoft has done meaning your purchase is controlled by what a company decides to do versus you bought it and can use it for the next 100 years should you like.  If LM does the same down the road we're back with options like FS9 and XPlane which in the long scheme of things XPlane may be the last sim standing when all this is over.  I really wish they address real world weather and ATC in X-Plane as I would switch to that sim and be done with it...

I think you're jumping the gun a little by immediately declaring FS dead.

Perhaps we should wait and see what this new team brings to the table instead of making fairly extreme assumptions. Of course, you may be correct, however, it is equally likely you may be incorrect.  

Aamir Thacker

We now know that any new version will be based on Flight rather than FSX so backward compatibility is out of the window.

Do we? Really? :Hmmmph: 

All we truly know is that the editors at "Simflight" have it "from reliable sources," which is to say, nothing concrete.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator