Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

"Microsoft Sells License to FS Franchise" Part 2

If whoever it is got MS Flight also, they could release another version (for a price, not free) that was open to third party developers. I would think this would allow them to be in business fairly soon.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

I'm not buying that until I can use all my addons for free in it. It's a copy paste of FSX with improvements, so I don't see the logic in buying all addons twic

If FSXI (or whatever is released) is actually a leap forward over FSX (such as being a 64 bit sim), don't count on many of your FSX addons being compatible.

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

So...

From what I've gathered:

It is one with deep pockets (as stated), because they had to make a deal good enough to be exclusive.

It is one unexpected - someone that we wouldn't ever place with this product.

My best bet right now is still with Dovetail games, the Trainsim guys. They Just changed their name and stated a while ago that they are ready and eager to grow into other aspects of simulation: plus train-sim has made them a load of money for a possible purchase. The MS flight business model is right up their alley, and in fact Flight was an MS attempt to emulate the model of the Trainsim guys.

It would be poetic if they got Flight and made it work where MS dropped the ball.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Rob, I never used the word "individual" in the news story. I used the word "licensee". A licensee can be a company as well as an individual. The licensee is NOT an individual.

When will the "licensee" be announced? Today, tomorrow, next week, next year? And how reliable is your "source" exactly?

Well I usually try to stay out of speculation, but I'll bite!

My guess: Zynga! They have hundreds of millions of "social players" monthly. They could sell you the flight sim version of FarmVille or Flying with Friends.

I think it's important to prepare ourselves that the finished product pushed out, by whomever this group is, could produce a flight sim on a medium that does NOT lend itself well to the enthusiast flight that members of this board require. As much as a I loathe it, I'm prepping myself for an app, FaceBook game or at best, a Pilot Wings rehash.  :(

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

When will the "licensee" be announced? Today, tomorrow, next week, next year? And how reliable is your "source" exactly?

"We look forward to an official announcement at the E3 coming this week."

Did you read the news story on the front page?

My best bet right now is still with Dovetail games, the Trainsim guys.

I don't know the answer, but I suspect you are right... I guess we'll see shortly.

I hope it's one of the big game companies personally. Take two or valve would be my favourites. Maybe the interest in xplane getting greenlighted on steam picqued valve's interest? A massive company creating a tripple a flight sim would be tres cook

Wow. If Dovetail Games bought the rights for Flight Simulator, be prepared to bend over. I have never seen such a greedy form of "DLC" expansions than that company has created. Not to mention they have a truly awful track record for bug fixing and general customer support.

edit:  With further thought, I can really see this as being a possibility. Their upper management has no doubt examined the current state of FSX/P3D third-party products and figured there's a lot of money to be made by funneling all of that through themselves like they do with Train Simulator.  Ugh... that whole thought makes me want to gag.

troyk, on 10 Jun 2014 - 01:08 AM, said:

Statements like this one by a leading Website owner are not based on pure rumors. They are usually made with knowledge, if not with consent of the Licensee. There may be several reasons for this, one may be to test reactions in advance to fine-tune the press release.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Maybe the interest in xplane getting greenlighted on steam picqued valve's interest? A massive company creating a tripple a flight sim would be tres cook

I highly doubt Valve has interest. They've taken the "we're only a distributor" path for the moment. Greenlight is voted by users, not the compamy