Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

"Microsoft Sells License to FS Franchise" Part 2

I would dare say Flight's ENGINE is better than P3Dv2's.

My 100+ FPS in Flight on high settings agree with this. :P  But in all seriousness, Flight's engine feels way more optimized than P3D. I'd venture to say that P3D is almost too GPU dependent (or could at least use some better balancing of resources).

Brandon Filer

Agree

Jim, I see you have reverted to "monosyllabic" mode... Or, are you making a passive / aggressive protest at the removal of the Rating System? Inquiring minds want to know.

Jim, I see you have reverted to "monosyllabic" mode... Or, are you making a passive / aggressive protest at the removal of the Rating System? Inquiring minds want to know.

Oh no not at all! I love that the System is gone for now. It is nice to share using real English and not some meaningless symbols. And to think that some believe I had anything to do with it's removal! 

Tom if this thing was going to be a sim in the vain that we know it do you think they'd bother parading it around at E3?  The E3 announcement with an audience of gamers screams XBOX ONE...  Case in point, Lockheed isn't parading P3D at this event (because it's not a game).  Your thoughts... 

Everybody seems to have jumped to the assumption that MS would announce it. No one ever said that it would be MS doing the announcement. What about the franchisee? A lot of people jumped to that conclusion.  It may not take place at E3. I have no inside track with whoever it was that won the license... We reported on what we had been told. Let's see if it unfolds that way.

My 100+ FPS in Flight on high settings agree with this. :P  But in all seriousness, Flight's engine feels way more optimized than P3D. I'd venture to say that P3D is almost too GPU dependent (or could at least use some better balancing of resources).

I agree that Flight feels more optimized, but you also have to consider that AI traffic, ATC, real weather, and a flight planner are all missing from Flight.  Add all those, along with full global scenery, and those FPS are going to take a hit.

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

I agree that Flight feels more optimized, but you also have to consider that AI traffic, ATC, real weather, and a flight planner are all missing from Flight.  Add all those, along with full global scenery, and those FPS are going to take a hit.

Get busy and hit me then. :lol:

Even if the new franchisee brings it to the XBox or if it is Nintendo: I welcome them since our hobby desperately Needs new enthusiasts! Look at the age of all of us! Most are 40+ or much older. We miss the kids here! The next generation!

I think it is fine if they start with a game like Approach to flying. That what ost of us did as Kids. They will come to the "Simulation" part later, don't worry!

IXEG 737 Beta-Tester and First Officer

i7 6700K@4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, Palit GTX 1080 GameRock Premium@2Ghz, Oculus Rift S, ButtKicker
X-Plane 11 latedt version on a Samsung M.2 SSD for speedy loading times

I asked the simple question yesterday in the Aerosoft General Forum - Just wondering if the European sector knows any details of Microsoft selling the FS franchise?

The response by Mathijs Kok sounds a little, hmmmm, what's the word I am looking for?

Regards,

Ray

Aerosoft response.JPG

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Even if the new franchisee brings it to the XBox or if it is Nintendo: I welcome them since our hobby desperately Needs new enthusiasts! Look at the age of all of us! Most are 40+ or much older. We miss the kids here! The next generation!

I think it is fine if they start with a game like Approach to flying. That what ost of us did as Kids. They will come to the "Simulation" part later, don't worry!

This makes me think Disney bought it so they can develop a children's flight sim to co-release with a "Planes 2" movie.

I was kinda wondering why aerosoft news hadn't covered the leak...

Anthony Cacciatore

The entry market end. The schoolboy can't buy it in the supermarket. He even can't buy it without a CC online. Plus (please no discussion in this thread) it has a subtle EULA. There are no German/French... language versions (Yes, there are non-English speaking schoolboys outside the US.), and so on

This is a very good point that I was thinking about recently.

P3D isn't available through normal video game retail channels - be it "brick and mortar" stores or the likes of Amazon and Steam - and thus has very little visibility. It can't be purchased without a credit or debit card. It doesn't have any of the interactive flight lessons or tutorials that earlier versions of MSFS had.

It's one of the reasons why I think P3D might not be such a great thing for the hobby because it actually raises the barrier for entry into the flight simulation hobby.

The first version of MSFS I ever used was FS98 when I was 16. I picked it up in a shop after school one day... read the learning material, did the flying lessons and was hooked. I don't think it would be possible to do the same with P3D.

Looks like E3 is all about Consoles and PC games only play a minor role. All MS announced and did so far at E3 was primarily for and about the Xbox, with a few titles playable on PCs also.

Its sad to see how MS has dropped the PC games sector. PC games made MS successful and boosted pc and hardware sales.

I still remember a time when flight simulations were covered on the front page and on multiple-page-previews in the PC gaming mags. Then over time the simulations disappeared as an own category with specialized journalists from the PC gaming mags. Later when shooter games became the hype simulations were covered with 1/4 page reviews on page 74 or so, if at all. And nowadays even popular PC gaming mags fight for survival. The Let's play scene at Youtube and streamers on Twitch have taken that role.

My point is: It's possible not to see an announcement this week at E3. E3 is not focused on PC games (anymore) and developers like to show something at E3 also. If the deal was just closed a week ago there won't be anything to show to the public yet. Probably Gamescon in August? E3 in a year from now?

Let the speculation continue... :)

Yeah it looks like it's aerosoft then, or they failed a bid and are under an NDA. Their Falklands sim using a new "more modern" engine and that reply above certainly look like the best lead so far. Sound a bit like Sherlock Holmes there, apologies.