Sign in to follow this  
Heimi

MS Flight continues... new rumours

I don`t understand the STEAM discussion.

It`s just a platform to distribute games of any kind.

I`m a STEAM user for more than 10 years now and never judged a game because it was sold on STEAM or elsewhere. there are different companies using different ways to distribute. They could also choose Origing or GfWL.

It`s just an easy way to do digital distribution nowadays and accepted by the majority of users.

But back to topic.

I just hope they will start from MSFlight leftovers and make it what it should be. A real successor for the MSFS serie.

Kavinda, you make assumptions about a lot of things.  As far as I know, Steam never removed Flight from the store.  Microsoft asked them to remove it because they were no longer able to sell any DLC and generate keys, and it was easier to just remove it completely than to try to fix the issue with DLC.

Steam is just a store.  You can't make assumptions about what users are on there.  The only reason there aren't more civilian flight sim users on there is because there aren't many civilian flight sims available on Steam.  The barrier to entry on Steam is so low there is almost nothing stopping users to join other than their own resistance to new things, and lack of desirable products.

I don't think you should make assumptions about what ended Flight either.  It was a large combination of factors.

Maybe DTG is threatening to put FSX on STEAM (perhaps with a few added hoop courses) just to drive the FSX crowd mad. I call it hysteromania. :wacko:

(hm, I just looked it up in the dictionary - perhaps not the word I was looking for. Oh wel ...)

On a more serious note, as pointed out earlier by Orion, pcgamer has more interesting things to say:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/07/09/microsoft-flight-simulator-x-and-x-plane-10-are-winging-their-way-to-steam/

"... the deal does not allow Dovetail to implement any graphical updates [to FSX], so the game will have something of a dated look. It will, however, make as many bug fixes as it can prior to release, and is also working to find a way around its dependence on GameSpy for multiplayer functionality."

So, just a matter of squeezing the last bit of money out of FSX while it lasts.

"It also confirmed that while it will be making "all-new flight sims using Microsoft's technology," it will not actually be making new Microsoft Flight Simulator games."

In other words, they'll rebrand MS Flight and put it on STEAM, with additional DLC in years to come.

At least, that's my interpretation, but stonelance said as much long before the gamespot and pcgamer articles.

When they say they aren't allowed to make graphical updates - Isn't that to the FSX Gold version that they are releasing onto Steam later this year? Rather than the new FS they are on about releasing in 2015. Or I'm I missing something here?

Matt

Vote for better camera support in MSFS: https://devsupport.flightsimulator.com/t/camera-api/3077/29

When they say they aren't allowed to make graphical updates - Isn't that to the FSX Gold version that they are releasing onto Steam later this year? Rather than the new FS they are on about releasing in 2015. Or I'm I missing something here?

Yes, to the FSX Gold version.

I think that what they're saying is: "don' expect FS11 or FS12 for that matter", at least not from Dovetail.

To make it even clearer: Microsoft "retained all development rights to “Flight Simulator,” according to Xbox spokesman David Dennis.

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/brierdudley/2014/07/09/microsofts-flight-simulator-returns-sort-of/  DTG is allowed to (re)distribute FSX Gold, and that's it.

As far as I know, that does not apply to MS Flight.

Let me correct a misconception that appears in this thread. Steam had nothing to do with the downfall of FLIGHT. MS decided to pull the product because they were not seeing the sales that they were expecting and the studio seriously under-estimated the time and cost to bring revenue generating DLC to the market. It was a failed model from the start and it took upper management all of about 4 months to figure that out and shut it down.

I regret wondering off topic now!  :( Sorry stone...and thanks Tom for clearing things up.

Frankly, I think the STEAM FSX version is going to be torn to pieces by the STEAM crowd (throwing completely outdated graphics at those who are used to the latest sugar candy?).

MS Flight wasn't brought down by the "serious" flight sim community. FAIK MS was still making money, they just weren't interested anymore.

Umm sorry to rain on your parade but go to steam and check out the simulators section there are a lot of things far far worse than FSX.  and newer as well heck some are 2012 -13 release that have early 2000's graphics on them.   

Sure FSX will have a people that don't like it and yes it is old but it has one thing going for it a awesome modding community places like AVSIM  and great people that can and will do there best to help you out.

Heck take a look at Giants farming simulator and don't tell me that that is really outdated its there community that keeps that game strong and healthy.  lol yeah i play that game a lot 

Remember what your supposed to do with the counting of chicken eggs just wait until they hatch.

Sure FSX will have a people that don't like it and yes it is old but it has one thing going for it a awesome modding community places like AVSIM and great people that can and will do there best to help you out.

Yes, I do not doubt for one moment that FSX has an awesome modding community. The point is, Dovetail will release a "bare" FSX (hopefully bug-free, and perhaps with multi-playing re-enabled), but obviously without all the add-ons. Now, be honest, would you like to play the 2006 version of FSX, without any add-ons? And how much have you paid for all your add-ons over the years? And will those add-ons be available as DLC on STEAM? Just asking.

That said, whatever sim makes you happy, makes me happy too. We can all hope that the STEAM releases will attract a whole bunch of new simmers, whether that be new  FSX, XP10 or (in the future) revived Flight simmers.  :Hug:

Yes, I do not doubt for one moment that FSX has an awesome modding community. The point is, Dovetail will release a "bare" FSX (hopefully bug-free, and perhaps with multi-playing re-enabled), but obviously without all the add-ons. Now, be honest, would you like to play the 2006 version of FSX, without any add-ons? And how much have you paid for all your add-ons over the years? And will those add-ons be available as DLC on STEAM? Just asking.

That said, whatever sim makes you happy, makes me happy too. We can all hope that the STEAM releases will attract a whole bunch of new simmers, whether that be new  FSX, XP10 or (in the future) revived Flight simmers.  :Hug:

No your point was that you were saying that FSX will be torn apart because of outdated graphics you did not mention anything else I said that there are other sim type games out there that are newer and far far worse than FSX is.

Now to answer your new question since you appear to just have ignored most of what i said I will atleast be gracious and answer you.

Yes I would play FSX bare without addons infact when FSX first came out I used it without any mods of any kind for about 2 and a half years.   It really didn't concern me to greatly that I could get new planes scenery or landclass and mesh I was quite happy with what FSX had to offer infact FS9 still exists on my system un modded and i still enjoy the base game when i have time to play it.

Secondly as far as i understand they are not permitted to modify FSX code wise only do minor bug fixes and prepare it for steam so I would assume that the directory structure would remain the same plus the ability to ad mods though such a structure.

Ok let me guess I have payed about $200 or so dollars maybe $250 ORBX base 2 accu sim aircraft and air hauler... i think thats all i have almost forgot fibre accelerator.

No the addons wouldn't be available on steam Because they would then have to download all AVSIM plus every other sim sites library then make deals with every payware author to put there stuff on steam do you honestly think such a thing is even possible?  sounds like a very naive assumption on your part. also that is not my decision that is the addon producers decision really so i have very little say in what goes on steam why your are asking me this i don't know maybe you should go to steam support or the addon authors as i really don't care to do the grunt work for you regards that.

And yes on the last point I do agree with you wholeheartedly.

I assume i have answered all you questions.

No your point was that you were saying that FSX will be torn apart because of outdated graphics you did not mention anything else I said that there are other sim type games out there that are newer and far far worse than FSX is.

freequest, I don't have a glass ball and honestly have no idea how FSX will be received at STEAM. I was merely voicing an opinion, not a fact. What happens next is 'wait and see'. If the FSX STEAM edition attracts new simmers, so much the better for the FSX community, and the flight sim community in general.

This is the MS Flight forum. I'm more worried about what will happen to the MS Flight franchise, but again, that is 'wait and see'.

It'll probably end up with a low rating on Steam, but that doesn't matter.

Steam has become a dumping ground. There are horrifically bad games on there now.

There are horrifically bad games in every retail outlet or online distribution hub.

There are also awesomely good games on Steam, like with every retail outlet or online distribution hub.

What's your point, exactly?

This was what I was trying to prove, but at the end of the day "Steam is just a Marketplace." 

What I have learnt, is to always consider the ground that you are stepping on before beginning a debate!

OK. Back on topic...

Is there any indication of what "technology" Dovetail Games will be using? Microsoft ESP or.. Microsoft Flight technology?  Personally, I feel that MS Flight technology is better, compared to ESP.

Is there any indication of what "technology" Dovetail Games will be using? Microsoft ESP or.. Microsoft Flight technology? Personally, I feel that MS Flight technology is better, compared to ESP.

the ESP IP (intellectual property)

was NOT included in the sale of the FSX license to DTG
. See http://forum.avsim.net/topic/446086-dovetail-games-buys-licensing-deal-with-microsoft/page-12#entry3027860

We can only hope that Dovetail will rebrand MS Flight, make a few fixes, perhaps provide some extra DLC, and allow 3d party development.