Sign in to follow this  
Heimi

MS Flight continues... new rumours

Basically, they probably want to release FSX on Steam to make some quick money, possibly including some addons from 3rd party to monetize that as well.  In the mean time they are probably trying to figure out how the hell FSX and Flight work so they can decide which one to use for the next product.  I am pretty sure they will quickly realize while porting FSX to Steam that they should stay the hell away from it.

So, I've been reading around this new topic and hopefully this is what they might do

Interesting.

It sounds to me like they are:

step 1) initially just selling FSX Gold on Steam. The same FSX Gold that's was sold in boxes and on GFWL. I wouldn't expect any changes to FSX

step 2) Releasing something else later next year. Based on the timing and the fit to what they currently do with TS, it's probably just going to be MS Flight tweaked and broken out into whatever DLC package model they choose. Maybe with more DLC to come at a later time.

In short - no effect on FSX users. Hope for MS Flight users.

(This quote was taken from the SimHQ forums and was posted by "malibu43")

As said in the quote, this may affect Flight users than FSX users, and I have always liked Flight more than FSX to be honest. Flight had a bigger chance against competitors such as X-Plane.

Dovetail are just going to sell FSX on Steam, and as Stone has said, it is a BAD IDEA. Flight Simulators do not belong on Steam! And plus, integrating FSX into Steam may be tough work! 

One of the things people may be missing (or have forgotten) about flight is the ability to create missions. Only the tip of the iceberg was revealed before flight was cancelled, but the mission scripting capabilities seemed very comprehensive and could be used in any number of innovative ways. 

Many simmers state proudly that they've never used an FSX mission, and its a feature that seems oft associated with the deadly disease of consumer popularity, but its potentially a very powerful tool in the right hands and yet another attractive and DLC marketable ability.

Mission Packs.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

it is a BAD IDEA. Flight Simulators do not belong on Steam!

Why not?

It does talk about developing new flight technology and the release of a new game in 2015. We can indeed hope.

Steve

It took LM years to update the FSX code, all we're going to get in 2015 is a steam installer.  Anything outside of that is all but impossible in that time frame.  This is an FSX play, Flight is dead in the water it seems...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I never said it was a bad idea.  I think it is a good idea for them.  Steam is an awesome place for any company that can't afford it's own marketplace, although you pay a ton for it (Steam takes a 30% cut, and they don't really give a ###### about you unless you make a lot of sales).

It took LM years to update the FSX code, all we're going to get in 2015 is a steam installer.  Anything outside of that is all but impossible in that time frame.  This is an FSX play, Flight is dead in the water it seems...

FSX will be released on Steam in late 2014. If they start developing on the Flight engine, I can't see why they can't get a new simulator out in 2015, especially if it comes with little content.

I never said it was a bad idea.  I think it is a good idea for them.  Steam is an awesome place for any company that can't afford it's own marketplace, although you pay a ton for it (Steam takes a 30% cut, and they don't really give a ###### about you unless you make a lot of sales).

I never said you did.

I was replying to KavindaJD - bearing in mind X-Plane will use Steam.

FSX will be released on Steam in late 2014. If they start developing on the Flight engine, I can't see why they can't get a new simulator out in 2015, especially if it comes with little content.

Maybe I missed something.  I didn't see anything mentioned they were going to do development in the FLIGHT engine...  FLIGHT and the FS franchise are two separate products...

FS2020 

This is an FSX play, Flight is dead in the water it seems...

I thinks it may be the other way around, eventually.

Steve

I read the whole press release many times and not once did I see Flight or the Flight license mentioned. I suggest that MS did not include Flight in this deal.

You never were a very positive guy Jim, as I recall, where Flight was concerned. I read it many times also, only I read between the lines. We will see.

Best wishes,

Steve

You never were a very positive guy Jim, as I recall, where Flight was concerned. I read it many times also, only I read between the lines. We will see.

Best wishes,

Steve

There is no reading between the lines with something like this.  I believe FLIGHT is dead.  It actually would have worked better in the Steam environment allowing everyone to build on it but if DT is that short sighted not to even see that and would rather release the buggy 7+ year old version then that says allot about where this effort is heading...

FS2020 

"granting them the rights to develop and publish all-new flight products based on Microsoft’s genre-defining flight technology"

It doesn't say anything about only Flight Sim.  I will guess almost 100% chance that they would develop on FLight and not FSX.  Using an 8 year old tech would be very, very dumb.