Sign in to follow this  
Heimi

MS Flight continues... new rumours

I read the whole press release many times and not once did I see Flight or the Flight license mentioned. I suggest that MS did not include Flight in this deal.

Thought it is not in the PR, I will post a quote here from a former Aces Dev in a message to me, and let you draw your own conclusions. I will of course not name the former Dev.

When we started Flight, (after evaluating other game engines and deciding not to use any of them), we branched Flight from TrainSim2. There were also multiple branches of the Flight code, each associated with a different part of the production process. All of these were to be included.

The Flight code is just FSX with updates and is very good code. I'd argue that the Flight "Business Model" is what failed, not the application. We ran it one day on a micro ATX motherboard with 1GB ram and on-board graphics. Though we had to turn the graphics settings down a bit, the app ran and was fly-able.

Oh, and there was one major player whose desire was to move forward with the Flight model, including the DLC concept. I confirmed with them that they were ultimately rejected.

My simple interpretation? DTG already has the Flight code.

You never were a very positive guy Jim, as I recall, where Flight was concerned. I read it many times also, only I read between the lines. We will see.

Best wishes,

Steve

So why didn't the release state the FSX and Flight licences were dealt?

Edit: OK fair enough with the further information. You may now continue with any hopes you may have.....out.

The statements make sense to me.

You can't market Flight as it was already free, and there may not be a great deal of ready-to-pedal DLC for Steam.

So hype FSX in press releases, hope the Steam marketing guys weren't just blowing smoke, and see if they can sell enough copies to make back the licensing fees (after Steam's cut). I'm sure the Steam guys assured Dovetail that there were more than a few coins to be squeezed from the old girl (FSX).

Meanwhile, you now have a few options. Develop Flight DLC to include more areas and aircraft. Develop a new replacement for FSX. Develop a combat flight sim or two...

I'm very sure Dovetail has a plan. Hopefully it meshes with our plans.  :unsure:

Dick

Actually, If DTG didn't use flights Steam-friendly assets I would be astonished.

DRM friendly

Ingame Store

Ingame Updates

Multiplayer code built in (with voice)

Updated Fsx Engine.

Steam Achievements ready

Advanced scripting for missions......

I can't really imagine a realistic scenario in which DTG would pay a mint for the license and not take every possible advantage of FLIGHT.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I can't really imagine a realistic scenario in which DTG would pay a mint for the license and not take every possible advantage of FLIGHT.

I can

Their going bonkers on the other thread. Bla bla bla.Think I like it better here!

Steve

I can

Enlighten us.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Supposedly Dovetail Games will be trying to re-implement multiplayer in Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition.

We have the license to re-release FSX on Steam and this does not extend to making product improvements. However, we will include all possible bug fixes we can. One area that will require some work is the use that FSX made use of GameSpy for multiplayer features. As you may know, GameSpy is no longer available and so we are looking for alternate ways of providing this functionality including using features in Steam.

Source: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/microsoft-flight-simulator-series-to-live-on-but-n/1100-6421000/

I just hope that dovetail has a future dev plan that would make good use of flight ...

Image removed as image is no longer available.

I suspect that since Flight was once a Steam offering that it would be pretty easy for Dovetail to implement that again. As for FSX, I don't see that as being a big money maker for either Steam or Dovetail. I think it's just too old a product to attract much of a new audience. However, they might offer some DLC for it ie...aircraft and scenery addons.

I just hope they don't turn Flight into another TrainSimulator type product. I have it and I don't care much for it.

We'll see.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

I suspect that since Flight was once a Steam offering that it would be pretty easy for Dovetail to implement that again. As for FSX, I don't see that as being a big money maker for either Steam or Dovetail. I think it's just too old a product to attract much of a new audience. However, they might offer some DLC for it ie...aircraft and scenery addons.

I just hope they don't turn Flight into another TrainSimulator type product. I have it and I don't care much for it.

We'll see.

I agree, Flight would be a better choice to revive onto Steam. I can't see FSX attracting new people once they see its outdated interface, the horrible performance and the amount of bugs.

Maybe DTG is threatening to put FSX on STEAM (perhaps with a few added hoop courses) just to drive the FSX crowd mad. I call it hysteromania. :wacko:

(hm, I just looked it up in the dictionary - perhaps not the word I was looking for. Oh wel ...)

On a more serious note, as pointed out earlier by Orion, pcgamer has more interesting things to say:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/07/09/microsoft-flight-simulator-x-and-x-plane-10-are-winging-their-way-to-steam/

"... the deal does not allow Dovetail to implement any graphical updates [to FSX], so the game will have something of a dated look. It will, however, make as many bug fixes as it can prior to release, and is also working to find a way around its dependence on GameSpy for multiplayer functionality."

So, just a matter of squeezing the last bit of money out of FSX while it lasts.

"It also confirmed that while it will be making "all-new flight sims using Microsoft's technology," it will not actually be making new Microsoft Flight Simulator games."

In other words, they'll rebrand MS Flight and put it on STEAM, with additional DLC in years to come.

At least, that's my interpretation, but stonelance said as much long before the gamespot and pcgamer articles.

I owe quite a lot of apologies to you all (especially to Stone and mgh). May be I should have given some explanation as to what I meant. Sorry I misread your post Stone. So here goes...

What I have seen over my lifetime, is that most Steam users do not prefer civil Flight Simulators and instead, are drawn into Combat Simulators. People are beginning to lose trust in Steam, as the platform is open to a variety of Dev’s. When Microsoft Flight was released on Steam, consumers began to experience the game, and then… objections rose which got Flight denied from the store. I am afraid that this may happen with FSX since this game has been around since 2006, and people have already began “poking holes” in the simulator. Similarly, with Microsoft Flight, a huge number shared their disappointment about the “game,” which finally lead to its downfall. 

Let’s consider another example:

Aerofly FS

By Silent_Hunter31:

Its ok for a few hours , there is no navigation capabilities only dead reconin its very nice on the graphics but very poor on what a real flight sim is.

As you can see, some consumers have disagreements towards some simulators and just about everywhere you look on Steam there are reviews such as this one.

FSX has been around for some time, therefore, the criticism has had some time to accumulate. And before you know it, people will start to complain about FSX and comparisons between other Flight Simulators will begin, for example X-Plane.

I admit that X-Plane will have a better chance on the market than FSX, and if both X-Plane and FSX are introduced onto Steam, more consumers will be willing to try out X-Plane as the discussions between the two simulators begin to take place. The clash, may reduce FSX’s sales and its reputation on Steam, though some may remain faithful members of the simulator.

Since this is what brought Microsoft Flight down, think about what will happen to FSX: Steam Edition.

In today’s world, most Steam users enjoy a bit of action in their games such as TF2 (Team Fortress 2) and Garry’s mod. What do these games have in common? Steam users are in for the interest in these games. Putting simulators on Steam, might just ruin the reputation that we see in these games. 

I hope that cleared some things up, and please do not take anything I have said personally.  I agree that Steam is an awesome place for any company that can't afford its own marketplace,” but it just doesn't suit Civil Simulators. Currently, there are about 3-4 Civil Flight Simulators on the Steam Marketplace (sorry if this statistic is incorrect).

Frankly, I think the STEAM FSX version is going to be torn to pieces by the STEAM crowd (throwing completely outdated graphics at those who are used to the latest sugar candy?).

MS Flight wasn't brought down by the "serious" flight sim community. FAIK MS was still making money, they just weren't interested anymore.

For me Microsoft Flight died mainly because it lacked a living world. No ATC, no AI, no autopilot. All these things are essential if you want to feel you are in a simulator rather than a game. I enjoyed chasing aerocaches etc but at the end of the day it needed more life. And that didn't happen. I won't touch any future version of flight without those things.