Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

Shameful Like/Dislike strategy to get it axed...

Well, I for one am sorry to see it gone.  It was a useful barometer at times.

Dillon, just saw this post now.  You say "We had a healthy debate about the whole issue but these guys couldn't leave it alone."

Now, if I recall, you and me were some of the primary participants in that argument.  It would seem you are claiming that certain members who particpated in that thread came up with some conspiracy to abuse the ratings system in order to tick Tom off and get rid of it again?    If you ask me, that sounds pretty far fetched.

It's difficult to participate in forums sometimes.  You will never have every person agreeing with everything you say- and when things take a dark turn- it can cause talented members to simply depart.

To my mind, being able to say your piece in a polite way and to lend a hand to other enthusiasts with tech issues are among the principal benefits of belonging to a forum.

When things get contentious - it's a big turn off.  I think Tom A. is a stellar guy, with an amazing history and obvious love for flying.  We should all be grateful to him for having the strength to contend with so many disparate personalities on a wide variety of topics.

And thanks to all the moderators, for their hard work as well.

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Click here for my YouTube channel

I think folks these days are way too sensitive.

Much prefere the robust debates we have here to the 1 post every 6.5 days that they have over at the other site.

I'm delighted the system is gone - it always struck me as a childish plaything that had no place in an adult forum.

Agreed.

This isn't a kindergarten where you get to call someone a poo-poo- head, and then run way.

Infantile.

Mark

Bring it back!

No, don't bring it back!

Yes, bring it back

No, Bring it ba......and so on ad infinitum.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Agreed.

This isn't a kindergarten where you get to call someone a poo-poo- head, and then run way.

Infantile.

Mark

But Mark, what if they are a poo-poo head? :LMAO:  :Shocked:  :Just Kidding:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Then you say you "I humbly disagree" :) . Apparently that is the adult way.

www.antsairplanes.com

If it was me I would just call them a poo-poo head and leave it at that.

You got me there Bill.  :lol:

I wasn't going to comment on this but browsing through the 'Screenshot' forum and 'Microsoft sells FS' threads it's become painfully obvious a key feature is missing from our forums.  Thanks to the few very vocal among us they have collectively chipped away at the wall an brought it down.  We had a healthy debate about the whole issue but these guys couldn't leave it alone.  Some demanded a response for a vote and when they didn't get it their undies were in a bundle so they spoke on the issue again.  Then they purposely abused the system to get a rise out of the mods but the biggest below the belt tactic was personally going after Tom to ###### him off to shut the whole system down.  Some might say I'm not one to talk with so much I've said about FSX over the years but the tactics used in this one is akin to me figuring out how to sabotage peoples FSX installs (with a trogan) to get them to give up and switch back to FS9 and/or my way of viewing things.  To mis-use the system on purpose or going after Tom to ###### him off to get him to do away with the whole system is shameful to say the least (forget healthy discussion just sabotage the whole concept because our egos can't be bruised).  All is not fair in love and war and some of us see very well how this was played.   :Thinking:

I don't know how you can possibly know that people who disagreed with you about this are in a tiny minority and capable of such a conspiracy as you describe. Do you really suppose that Tom would bend to the vocal will of a tiny minority? It certainly didn't work that way with Tapatalk.

For the record, the problem with "dislike" and disagree" was nothing to do with ego. It's about discussion and information. If we were in a face to face conversation, you made a point and I said "I agree with you", you probably wouldn't feel the need to ask me why I agreed. However if I said "I disagree with you" or "I don't like what you said" your likely next response would be to ask "what do you disagree with?" and it would not be about ego if you did.

If the system was still in place I might be tempted to give your OP an ironic disagree vote but that would be the only time I'd ever use it. If I disagree with what someone posts I make a reply and explain why. That is how a discussion forum should work. If you want to turn AVSIM into facebook then maybe ratings buttons have a place.

ki9cAAb.jpg

I'm delighted the system is gone - it always struck me as a childish plaything that had no place in an adult forum.

DJ

Show me the adult behavior in the forums and I'll agree with you, LOL.

I liked it for the simple fact I could agree/disagree/like/dislike a persons post without posting a remark that could start an argument or be taken the wrong way. I loved when i would see a post from someone really off base and 20+ disagrees or dislikes under it, hopefully they then saw they were in the minority in their way of thinking and take it under advisement..

if we this had been around during the early days of FSX, Dillon would have seen lots of activity in his posts, LOL.

Best, Michael

KDFW

I don't know how you can possibly know that people who disagreed with you about this are in a tiny minority and capable of such a conspiracy as you describe. 

To directly address this, the Mods and Tom have said they have seen people purposely vote a certain way to get a rise out of people leading to them banning the users in one form or another.  I read one instance where a forum member down voted Tom's post just to tick him off (Tom was not pleased to say the least as the situation didn't warrant it).  So there was an effort whether collectively or not to get the system removed and the cry babies won.  You can deny it all you want but it was there...  If the system was up I'm sure I'd have way more 'likes' to my post than the diatribe comments I'm reading now.  That was what was interesting is you saw way more people engaged that wouldn't normally be involved in the conversation.  Now as before only the loud most vocal people are heard and you don't get a feel for what the majority of people are really thinking...  I've learnt through having that system that many just don't like commenting to stay out of getting attacked, back & forth, and mob rule antics like what's going on right now in this thread.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2