Sign in to follow this  
calooom

DoveTail Games Buys Licensing Deal with Microsoft

If the money was large enough to matter they'd still be producing the title.  I don't think whatever kick back they get is going to keep them from saying, "Go to DT for all future support" and then DT saying "You'll have to re-purchase the Steam version for full support".  It just stinks that way... 

It's 100% pure beautiful green profit for MS.. Profit is profit, especially when no work is involved.  They toss the keys to DTG and collect paychecks..  MS doesn't have to hire a single person to develop content or manage distribution.  

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

You are making a terribly large (and incorrect) assumption there Dillon. The original contract terms REQUIRED a commission on sales to be made to MS. That may have changed in subsequent closing negotiations with MS, but I seriously doubt it.

Tom I may be wrong with the money and who get's what but I don't see MS supporting activation that much longer now that DT is marketing it.  For many and this community I hope I'm wrong.  Just the same when the latest incarnation of P3D came out last November the community should have jumped all over it rather than expecting MS to keep supporting (albeit activation) FSX for the next 20 years knowing they discontinued he product line...   

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I luv that attitude :) lets hope as all this DLC crap is not going to work for Us hard core simmers thats for sure

It didn't work with Microsoft Flight, I'm sure it won't work with Dovetail's new simulator. If they expand on the Flight engine and create good-quality DLC then count me in as interested, but seeing what they've done with Train Simulator I have some serious doubts.

The activation server conspiracy is pretty far fetched in my opinion.  No company in their right mind would change their distribution and security (DRM) method then completely shutdown the previous method and if they did, they wouldn't do it without a contingency plan in place for current key holders. It doesn't even make any sense why a company would do that.  I could easily see MS or Dovetail (in cooperation with MS) setting on a key transfer system.. Enter in your current CD-Key and get a Steam Activation code in return.  Wouldn't be the first, or last time a company allowed their IP to be transfered to Steam.. Kerbal currently allows it also.

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Enter in your current CD-Key and get a Steam Activation code in return.  Wouldn't be the first, or last time a company allowed their IP to be transfered to Steam.. Kerbal currently allows it also.

Well the problem with that is that anyone can buy a $5 FSX standard copy then activate the code on Steam. They wouldn't be making the same amount of money as someone who bought FSX Gold for $20. 

Well the problem with that is that anyone can buy a $5 FSX standard copy then activate the code on Steam. They wouldn't be making the same amount of money as someone who bought FSX Gold for $20. 

DTG isn't striking me with this deal expecting huge profits overnight.. They are more than likely in for the long haul and MS will profit purely off the licensing deal costs alone before sales even come into play. It took DTG 7 years to turn Rail Simulator into the DLC factory it is today. I'm sure they have the same long term plans w/ their MS deal.  Piles of DLC is the long term goal. This stuff right now is just click bait to get the ball rolling

I am not a fan of DTG at all but you can not deny their ruthlessness when it comes to doing whatever they have to do to print money

And I mentioned this earlier. Someone could own just FSX and not Gold. Unless they offer the same base package, Acceleration, and then the Gold Edition on the Steam store, the process won't be simple, and either you neglect anyone who doesn't have Gold, or you give them Gold as a free upgrade. If that was the case, then anyone who was smart would go that way. Being Steam though.... 

The activation server conspiracy is pretty far fetched in my opinion.  No company in their right mind would change their distribution and security (DRM) method then completely shutdown the previous method and if they did, they wouldn't do it without a contingency plan in place for current key holders. It doesn't even make any sense why a company would do that.  I could easily see MS or Dovetail (in cooperation with MS) setting on a key transfer system.. Enter in your current CD-Key and get a Steam Activation code in return.  Wouldn't be the first, or last time a company allowed their IP to be transfered to Steam.. Kerbal currently allows it also.

They just did this with Windows XP...  :blink:

You may not consider that the same thing... <_<

In our community we had the PSS situation until the company came back as Black Box Simulation.

FS2020 

I just hope they get it right and listen to the community this time...end of the day money is the motivator, whether we like it or not...but we all have options of sims out there to choose from and as the famous saying goes we vote with our wallet.

spacer.png

MSI Codex 5 10SC-262UK Desktop PC - Intel Core i7-10700, RTX 2060 Graphics, 16GB RAM, 2TB HDD, 256GB SSD.

This is why we need to move elsewhere as soon as possible. I hope Prepar3D 2.3 will fix most of the problems people are having so FSX can be ditched by more.

Though I am excited about the possibility of switching to P3D eventually, the cost to double-purchase certain addons under a new, far more strict, and far more expensive licensing agreement has me worried. We are entering a realm of academic/professional simulators that entails a far different liability model than FSX. At the same time, when all of us refer to FSX addons as "study sims" we have already crossed some sort of line, so maybe going the official route with an academic/pro sim might just actually be the more honest/safer way to "play" This would stop the hardcore refinement of FSX that's keeping newbies away and officially give us a protected EULA for shelter from the storm.

Right, take a deep breath everybody.....

- FSX will continue to work regardless off the activation server doomsday scenarios.

- If you don't like what DTG does with their new product nobody is forcing you to use it. There is still FSX, P3D and XP10 with plenty of content available to keep everybody busy for a very long time.

- We are no worse off than we were before this news.

- The sky is not falling.

I don't see how it would work without activation servers, unless MS released a patch for customers with proven serial #s. And even that is slightly doubtful because it would become a security risk for DT's new re-release. I don't mean to be melodramatic, but it's been so long for me to get FSX to the point I'm at. I was feeling so good about FSX recently, I just got my first yoke. Maybe the sky's not falling, but I'm definitely feeling some buffeting.   

And I mentioned this earlier. Someone could own just FSX and not Gold. Unless they offer the same base package, Acceleration, and then the Gold Edition on the Steam store, the process won't be simple, and either you neglect anyone who doesn't have Gold, or you give them Gold as a free upgrade. If that was the case, then anyone who was smart would go that way. Being Steam though.... 

DTG entire business model for their Train Simulator is free upgrades to the core package for the life of the current product. (the upgrade to Unreal 4 will not be)  I bought Railworks in 2009.. I've been upgraded to Railworks 2, then TS 2012, then TS 13, and then TS 14 all for free. Each contained new content also. 

DTG entire business model for their Train Simulator is free upgrades to the core package for the life of the current product. (the upgrade to Unreal 4 will not be)  I bought Railworks in 2009.. I've been upgraded to Railworks 2, then TS 2012, then TS 13, and then TS 14 all for free. Each contained new content also. 

Except the new one that is going to be an actual beneficial upgrade with Unreal Engine 4 is not going to be free.

Except the new one that is going to be an actual beneficial upgrade with Unreal Engine 4 is not going to be free.

That's understandable though. It's not like before when they shoehorned in Deferred Rendering into their current engine  turning it into Crysis Rail Simulator.  They are completely moving on.. I'd charge again too. It's sorta expected

Oh I know, I've invested a bit into the Train Simulator series myself, and am well aware of the DTG business model. I've myself been though those "upgrades" but you must remember that it was mostly a UI overhaul, and the new content as of more recently required a repurchase of the base package, which was cheap during the Steam sales (and I've taken advantage of that). That is not saying though it was great, and the game itself wasn't really fixed. Take the NEC Philly - NYC (not the NH that was recently released). There are still issues with that route particularly. This is a separate community though and I won't lash out against them here.

It is a Flight style business model though. Free or cheap base package, with a pay for what you want funding process. In the end, the quality could be potentially better, but the cost is astronomical.

This would stop the hardcore refinement of FSX that's keeping newbies away and officially give us a protected EULA for shelter from the storm.

Seriously :wacko: , more like the hacking, tweaking, and overlcocking requirements over the years have kept people away.  There's many out there that would want a realistic 'working' simulation that's install and go.  That's been the problem over the years.  Our community shrunk when the IT price of admission hit the roof.  MS turning it's back on the franchise just further exacerbated the problem.  I never seen someone who wanted to stifle the hardcore component of FS (in general).  Even the FLIGHT crowd wanted more...

FS2020