Sign in to follow this  
edpatino

Worries

Community:

I bought the B777-200 months ago, installed it and after two or three flights unistalled it, since I had too many OOM issues. I eagerly waited for the SP1 release, hoping the OOM issues were going to be solved. I´m away now from my computer and had not installed the product again (with the SP1), but reading at the topics in this forum it seems that OOM issues had worsened after SP1. Is PMDG staff thinking in producing a statement about the many problems suffered by users after SP1 installation?, like:

- Increase in OOM and VAS usage after SP1

- CTD exiting FSX

- Decrease in FPS

Edward

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

There are many topics on how to reduce VAS, specifically in relation to the PMDG 777, in the PMDG forums. Many tips to reduce VAS usage. I have not seen a Ctd direct to Windows after SP1, and for the performance try a re install like im gonna. The answers are out there.

spacer.png

MSI Codex 5 10SC-262UK Desktop PC - Intel Core i7-10700, RTX 2060 Graphics, 16GB RAM, 2TB HDD, 256GB SSD.

Sorry to burst your bubble but really the only thing to fully cure OOMs would be upgrading your computer. I've done 3 12+ hour flights in the 777-300ER so far, and 30 or more 12+ hour flights in the 777-200LR, and some landing in some nicely done payware sceneries and not a single OOM for me.

Get more RAM and get Windows 7 64 bit if you don't have it is about all you can do.

Thanks for the suggestion, but that is not the case for my setup, since I have a top notch machine (if I would need to replace or upgrade my setup I would really give up, and would ask myself why other "heavy" addons run so smoothly with locked FPS around 25-30 !!! which is enough for the human eye, btw, before making another huge investment !!!).

You only have to look at the miriads of complaints in this forum about crashes, freezes, CTD when exiting FSX, OOMs, etc., that are telling you and everybody that a big problem still exists with this addon, which is wonderful by the way, but unflyable as measured by realibility in completing a single flight. For me, all this is a complete waste of time and thereforte I will refrain from buying the -300 expansion and reinstalling the -200 and its SP1, until the picture is a lot more clear in regards to the PMDG B777.

Edward

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

The 777 is a demanding add-on that uses a lot of PC resources (of which VAS in only one aspect). Have you tried lowering your display settings, AI Traffic, Weather, etc, to see if you can get to a point where you can complete a flight in the 777 without a OOM ?

At least then you will be able to determine whether your issue is one of compatibility (eg.. something on your system just isn't happy with the 777), or whether it's one of performance (that your PC is running out of resources).

Sorry to burst your bubble but really the only thing to fully cure OOMs would be upgrading your computer. I've done 3 12+ hour flights in the 777-300ER so far, and 30 or more 12+ hour flights in the 777-200LR, and some landing in some nicely done payware sceneries and not a single OOM for me.Get more RAM and get Windows 7 64 bit if you don't have it is about all you can do.

Sorry to burst your bubble too, but FSX is a 32bit program.

As such it can only make use of 4GB of VAS (virtual adress space) no matter how much ram you throw at your PC.

16GB, 32GB it does not help, so get 8GB of RAM (4GB for FSX and 4GB for Windows and for whatever else you are running).

Win 64bit is a must though, because a 32bit OS can not make use of more than 4GB RAM anyway.

Rob Robson

Sorry to burst your bubble too, but FSX is a 32bit program.

As such it can only make use of 4GB of VAS (virtual adress space) no matter how much ram you throw at your PC.

16GB, 32GB it does not help, so get 8GB of RAM (4GB for FSX and 4GB for Windows and for whatever else you are running).

Win 64bit is a must though, because a 32bit OS can not make use of more than 4GB RAM anyway.

Yes I already knew that, but the more "ram you throw at your PC" the more Windows 7 64 bit can use for other programs, and leave enough of that 4GB limit for FSX.

You only have to look at the miriads of complaints in this forum about crashes, freezes, CTD when exiting FSX, OOMs, etc., that are telling you and everybody that a big problem still exists with this addon, which is wonderful by the way, but unflyable as measured by realibility in completing a single flight. For me, all this is a complete waste of time and thereforte I will refrain from buying the -300 expansion and reinstalling the -200 and its SP1, until the picture is a lot more clear in regards to the PMDG B777.

wait, so you are saying that you're not going to install it because of forum posts?

you do realize this is a support area right? people come here specifically to post when they have issues. there are certainly a substantial number of users (including myself) that have done dozens of flights without a single problem. it seems puzzling to me that if you have a good system you would naturally assume that you wouldn't be able to run it just because some other people don't have their systems working right. i'm not saying you should run out and buy the 300 but it seems premature to judge the sp1 if you haven't even tried it. you might be surprised!

cheers

-andy crosby

Not installing SP1 is silly.

It has many improvements.

Also you had OOM problems already so I do not see how things can get worse.

And if you ever want support from PMDG, and tell them you are still running the original version, I bet the first thing they will tell you is to first install SP1.

Yes I already knew that, but the more "ram you throw at your PC" the more Windows 7 64 bit can use for other programs, and leave enough of that 4GB limit for FSX.

ah ok, yes.

Still though 8GB is enough.(2x4GB).

More than that is just harder to get stable if you decide to overclock your PC.

Rob Robson

wait, so you are saying that you're not going to install it because of forum posts?

you do realize this is a support area right? people come here specifically to post when they have issues. there are certainly a substantial number of users (including myself) that have done dozens of flights without a single problem. it seems puzzling to me that if you have a good system you would naturally assume that you wouldn't be able to run it just because some other people don't have their systems working right. i'm not saying you should run out and buy the 300 but it seems premature to judge the sp1 if you haven't even tried it. you might be surprised!

cheers

-andy crosby

Thanks. I agree. Once I´m back to my PC I will install SP1 and see what happens, of course. But as I said when starting the topic, I´m still worried about the overall performance of the 777 simulation considering the numerous posts in this forum indicating the continuation of the known issues of the original release like OOMs, CTD, freezes, etc. That´s my point and for sure I will not run to buy the -300 expansion until I realize it worth the prize !!!.

I´ll come back in one week !!!, no need to read anything more for the time being !!!.

Edward

Cheers, Ed

In a post I wrote earlier I mentioned that using the taxi cam on the 300ER is a major VAS drain, eating between 400 to 600mb of memory in a complex add-on such as EGLL Heathrow Xtreme 3.0. What's worse: it will continue to eat chunks of your remaining VAS each time you use it!. So keep it off unless you don't mind saving the flight,  restarting FSX and reloading the saved situation often.

Enrique Vaamonde

What's worse: it will continue to eat chunks of your remaining VAS each time you use it!

That's just an issue with FSX in general.  Change views a whole bunch and watch your VAS.

Then remember that the taxi cam is essentially 3 views switches all at once, along with a model load.

FSX has a fundamental flaw in that it doesn't effectively release the VAS of items no longer being called.  This is why VAS continues to increase along a flight.  If it actually released the old scenery, this would not be the case.  If you start at a high-detail airport at the beginning of the flight, you carry most of that load for the whole flight.

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks. I agree. Once I´m back to my PC I will install SP1 and see what happens, of course. But as I said when starting the topic, I´m still worried about the overall performance of the 777 simulation considering the numerous posts in this forum indicating the continuation of the known issues of the original release like OOMs, CTD, freezes, etc. That´s my point and for sure I will not run to buy the -300 expansion until I realize it worth the prize !!!.

I´ll come back in one week !!!, no need to read anything more for the time being !!!.

Edward

All the posts? This forum is a fraction of PMDG users. Also if you look at some of the "numerous" posts you will see a bunch have been resolved by other forum users helping.  I feel bad for people who can't enjoy it because of issues but they need to try and resolve them with either a support ticket to PMDG or try some of the tips that have worked for others. Some of the "numerous" posts include at least one where the user complained the weather radar wasn't working. Turns out he wasn't using active sky, problem solved. There are more that have user caused errors. I think you are over reacting to this. Again, I have no problems and enjoy this and the 300 so i imagine I would be frustrated with any problems but I would try suggestions before calling it a loss.

Richie Walsh

That's just an issue with FSX in general.  Change views a whole bunch and watch your VAS.

Then remember that the taxi cam is essentially 3 views switches all at once, along with a model load.

FSX has a fundamental flaw in that it doesn't effectively release the VAS of items no longer being called.  This is why VAS continues to increase along a flight.  If it actually released the old scenery, this would not be the case.  If you start at a high-detail airport at the beginning of the flight, you carry most of that load for the whole flight.

You are correct, perhaps I should have phrased it better, sorry. It is not a fault or bug of the taxi cam per se, it just exacerbates the VAS situation due to FSX issue you mention and I think it is an important item to keep in mind since the odds of getting an OOM by using the taxi cam increase importantly, specially if using it to park the aircraft after a flight.

Enrique Vaamonde