Sign in to follow this  
Eikthrynir

Which PMDG aircraft to choose as beginner

Hello!

I am an absolute beginner regarding the MS Flight Simulator and the PMDG products. I would like to purchase one of the PMDG aircraft. I'm interested in MD-11, 747, 737 and 777 at the moment.

The problem is that I cannot decide which one to choose. Which one (from those listed above) would be more suitable to begin with? What I would like to do is to begin flying the (let's say) "easiest" to maneuver, the one with less engine power, and things like that. And then progress to the next one, bigger, more engine power etc. Something like a "career mode".

Could anyone give a few hints? (like "Hey, start with 737-600, then 737-700 etc. then 777, then 747, then MD-11", for example).

Thanks in advance!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

None of these are beginner aircrafts but I'd start with the 777 since its more automated and with the service pack that just got released its much better and a joy to fly. Which ever once you decided to get just know that these are study planes so you will need to put some time in to learn the systems but it is well worth it in the end.

Good luck

Pierre W

And then progress to the next one, bigger, more engine power etc. Something like a "career mode".

Unfortunately, the industry is rather backward in this regard. The bigger jets tend to be more technically advanced and easier to fly than a lot of the small stuff.

So, do you want easy, or do you want a more realistic career mode?

If you want easy, like Pierre, I'd recommend the 777.  It's very highly automated, but gets you exposed to managing different systems, an FMS, and a more realistic autopilot.

If you want career progression, start with the JS4100 or 737 (airlines generally don't make a big deal about progression between the 600/700/800/900 - it may be implicit, though, based on available routes, and how other pilots bid, though).

Yes, I know there are hundreds if not thousands of pages to read before actually flying these planes. I will definitely enjoy doing that (that's why I chose PMDG).

I am very well aware of the fact that they are not "beginner aircraft". Of course, I will start with Cessna 172 :) But I wanted a few hints in order to make a better decision when I will eventually purchase my first PMDG aircraft.

Thank you for your answers!

I would recommend the 737NGX because it's not as automated as the 777. Don't get me wrong, the 777 is a lot of fun to fly with all its featurs but I think it is harder to fly the 737 after you learned the 777. 

For me learning the 777 after the 737 wasn't a big deal. 

Yes, I know there are hundreds if not thousands of pages to read before actually flying these planes. I will definitely enjoy doing that (that's why I chose PMDG).

I am very well aware of the fact that they are not "beginner aircraft". Of course, I will start with Cessna 172 :) But I wanted a few hints in order to make a better decision when I will eventually purchase my first PMDG aircraft.

It can be easy to be overwhelmed by the exhaustive documentation that comes with these wonderful planes. I'd recommend that, initially, you read and then fly the tutorial ( or two) that comes with them. You'll learn much of what you need to fly them and can then turn to the other docs for details, background, atypical procedures, etc.

Enjoy ( and get the 777 first...)!

I started with Airbus X, because it looked nice and the systems were not so detailed (But after a while it is a little bit boring. I was not happy with this product after some time). After that I bought the PMDG MD-11, then the 747 and now the 777-200LR/300ER. 

I think you can start with a little bit training with the T7 (Documents, Videos,....) . Enjoy it. The 777 makes a lot fun, is very detailed and looks beautiful.

P.S: When I started with this professional Airplanes, my first flight was a little bit "horrible". But after some training this kind of flying was wunderful and I am happy that I started with it.

I would start with the 737NGX.  I think you will find it easier to manage in terms of the power, speed control, hand flying, etc.   Plus it gives you so many better options in terms of types of routes to fly.  Lots of real world short, medium hauls and lots so many airlines fly it.

They're all complex but that's the fun of it. The 737 is my favorite. Only a few months into FS when I purchased it, I did the tutorial flights to get started. There are also some great (and not so great) YouTube videos out there that are of big help. The rest I filled in with the manual as needed.

Kyle Rodgers, who posted above has some very insightful, quality videos on the NGX. You need to understand basic concepts and nomenclature for these videos to make sense though.

It's not as daunting as you would think, but a good ideal to learn the basics first (if you haven't already) before you try and tackle PMDG's. Have fun.

Cheers,

Brian

Kyle Rodgers, who posted above has some very insightful, quality videos on the NGX.

Thanks for the mention!

Maybe another thought... Since the Boeings are indeed quite a handful if you've only just started with flightsimming and you dont want to start with GA aircrafts:

The Majestic Dash8-Q400

I see this aircraft as a very suitable step up between GA and the bigger airliners and it provides a good basis to get familiar with the more complex systems of modern airliners.

And it's a truly beautiful aircraft if you want some eye-candy, with very detailed systems, like the PMDGs.

And maybe a tip for you. For the Dash8, there's very good training video program in 10 lessons (so far. This is only the first part of 3) from Airline2sim and for the Boeings you could have a look at the Angle of Attack training videos. But Airline2sim is also working on training videos for Boeing, only far as I understand, this one is a general training for Boeing, while Angle of Attack has specific training for different Boeing models.

The Dash 8 is a great sim but not ideal for beginners. Turboprops are much more tricky to handle, anyway the question was which PMDG sim. I would say definitely the NGX. It's a complex simulation but the 737 is a very simple aircraft with simple systems. It's also conventional being essentially a 1960s design. So you learn to fly, not learn to drive automated systems.

1.  A2A Simulations C-172

2.  RealAir B60 v2

3.  Majestic Q-400

4.  PMDG 737 NGX

5.  PMDG 777 300ER

triple 7, then the 737-800, the triple 7 has to be the easiest plane i have ever flown, if you want to start with something even easier try the aerosoft a320 as your first officer does almost everything for you and you can learn as you go and then shut him off,i know you were asking about pmdg just thought i would throw in another recommendation. 

1.  A2A Simulations C-172

2.  RealAir B60 v2

3.  Majestic Q-400

4.  PMDG 737 NGX

5.  PMDG 777 300ER

Good list. Here' s my own version of "career progression", from the basics to the most advanced:

1. A2A Piper Cub

1. A2A Cessna 172

2. RealAir Lancair Legacy

3. RealAir Beechcraft Duke B60

4. RealAir (seeing a pattern yet? :smile:) Turbine Duke

5. Aerosoft Twin Otter Extended

6. Majestic Q400

7. Quality Wings BAe 146/Avro RJ

8. PMDG or iFly 737

9. PMDG 777?

I don't have #8 or 9# yet as I have a very modest system. #6 and #7 could probably be swapped around in terms of complexity.

I'll deviate, slightly, from the excellent suggestions above.

My suggestion is: Fly the PMDG plane that you WANT to fly first.

Why?

The tutorials are excellent. There are pictures and they are very easy to follow. Additionally, there are several tutorials out there on you tube si there is a wealth of information out there for novice and intermediate flyers.

When you are flying what you want to fly, you should have more personal interest in learning about it.

There are less complex airliners out there, but if you want to start at the PMDG level of addons, I suggest, simply, fly what you want!

Get the 777

Just personal opinion but I think the 737 NGX is the best aircraft period.  It's a hard-core sim though.  FS2Crew (an add-on) adds a co-pilot that makes the plane much easier to operate.  The Aerosoft A320/A321 are also very good and probably better for a beginner.

I'd recommend the NGX base pack and go from there.  Fly the tutorial, fully automated, autoland etc and build up from there to manual landings on ILS then go visual etc.  I recall the buzz of just getting the 747 from A to B after hitting the CMD at 500ft all the way to autoland.  I also recall actually having to take over the controls for the first time in the MD-11 due to wonky ATC instructions and being surprised how easy it was to land manually (see Kyle's comments re: small vs big aircraft).

Caveat emptor: I'm the worst kind of virtual pilot i'm afraid as I never spent much time in the Cessna and usually go through the tutorial, rinse, repeat and if anything unexpected comes up then I hit the manuals or search the forums.  I've gone from the 747, MD-11, NGX and now the 777 with that approach.  I could have saved myself a bunch of time by simply RTFM, and would undoubtably be a better virtual pilot, but to be honest I've had a great time discovering the intricacies of these machines in my own distinctly haphazard way.

I'm one of those "wonder of flight" types, I guess.  No way I could ever raise my hand if an airline attendant asked in an emergency "Can anyone fly a 777?"  You can however surprise yourself how 'expert' you become over time.  I'm now flying RNAV approaches into some seriously scary airports with the NGX and having an absolute blast.

Flight simming is what you make it, PMDG provide incredible tools for making the most of it whatever your approach.

Richard A Wells

If you are a complete beginner, I think you will get a lot out of going for the A2A 172.  Start where real pilots start, learn to navigate, etc. then move up.  Another option is to look for some freeware aircraft and do some flights that force you to navigate VOR to VOR, calculate your decent, etc.  I started this way and got a lot out of learning to fly without the automatics and FMC.  A great place to start after the 172 would be the freeware Tin Mouse 737 and there are a bunch of other options in the category.

Those suggesting a sim beginner should follow the path a real pilot follows are missing the fact that a real pilot will have hundreds of flying hours when first being put in the right hand seat of a turboprop and so can handle the extra complexity. A beginner in the sim world isn't going to wait for that many hours before moving on to an airliner. Anyway commercial pilots don't start on turboprops if their airline doesn't have them in the fleet. So they might start on a 737, A320, or even a 747 in some cases.

Jets like the 737 and A320 are much more suitable for beginners than turboprops.

but last not least : my recommendation is : PMDG 747-400X,it is easy to fly,nevertheless a high-tech mashine ever today and has no conflict with CPU and greeting KYLE

Those suggesting a sim beginner should follow the path a real pilot follows are missing the fact that a real pilot will have hundreds of flying hours when first being put in the right hand seat of a turboprop and so can handle the extra complexity. A beginner in the sim world isn't going to wait for that many hours before moving on to an airliner. Anyway commercial pilots don't start on turboprops if their airline doesn't have them in the fleet. So they might start on a 737, A320, or even a 747 in some cases.

Jets like the 737 and A320 are much more suitable for beginners than turboprops.

Bingo.  Its a hobby for most of us.  We all have lives and commitments outside of burning 30 minutes or 13+ hrs on flight sim.

No shame at all in jumping in at the (highly automated: easy) deep end.

Several guys mention A2A Cessna - I recommend you also look at A2A Piper Cherokee, it is just about the same fit for a basic trainer, and I like flying it a lot more compared to the 172.