Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Throwing in the towel....

What's the location of the cache folder?

C:\ProgramData\Package Cache

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Throwing in the towel - HUGE mistake man this version is amazing - panning outside view around CS777 like its a default 172 - I can believe this sim now - this is game changing folks - perfect textures no stutters WOW cant believe what I am seeing - oh VC cockpit shadows now are amazing looking so crisp - just perfect 

Rich Sennett

oh VC cockpit shadows now are amazing looking so crisp - just perfect 

That's the first thing I noticed right away -even with shadow quality at medium- along with the water rendering improvement :-)

Who was the rocket scientist who thought 64 gig would be enough for a C: drive??  When I bought the computer that way, I had no idea.  But these guys designed and  built computers for a living;  they should have known better.

I seem to remember a time when people didn't think that anyone would need more than 640k RAM. I think you can work out the moral of this story :smile:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

oh VC cockpit shadows now are amazing looking so crisp - just perfect

I don't see any difference at all with them. They look exactly the same. Some shadows are great and crisp but others still are shimmering. I suppose this also depends on the plane you are using though.

All in all 2.3 isn't a great step forward for me. Kinda looks and performs the same (same micro stutters as with 2.2) and it screws up the ground shadows on my PC. The clouds that I get with my default weather even looked better in 2.2 (it's a fluffy mess in 2.3). So I am not impressed. A bit disappointed, really. So for today I am also throwing in the towel. ^_^

Oh Wow,

I was going to invest in the latest P3D, still using FSX only do airline flying big airports AI etc..airbus....737

but this thread has left me as a doubting Thomas!....can always get a refund but with so many addons is the jump worth it..

Me need to think carefully....  

I seem to remember a time when people didn't think that anyone would need more than 640k RAM. I think you can work out the moral of this story :smile:

Hell, I remember when a 42mb hard drive was big... B)

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

Oh Wow,

I was going to invest in the latest P3D, still using FSX only do airline flying big airports AI etc..airbus....737

but this thread has left me as a doubting Thomas!....can always get a refund but with so many addons is the jump worth it..

I purchased P3D PRO v2 earlier this year and then got a refund from LM. I have been keeping up with each update to see if I should reinvest.

Things are getting better, but not worth the hassle (stutters, AA) for me just yet. I am sure I will get P3D again once it is more polished. It does look amazing though...from the vids I have seen.

With regard to installing P3D with limited OS drive space..

if it helps - I just moved two of the P3D .cab files at a time to the PackageCache folder. I ran the P3D msi from that folder and then when the installer asked for the next .cab file I deleted the old ones and added the next two. Bit time-consuming but V2.3 installed fine. I then deleted all the P3D content from the PackageCache.

So far V2.3 is running fine with no (touch wood!) R6025 errors or CTDs.

Regards

Adam

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

Hell, I remember when a 42mb hard drive was big...

The hard disk in my very first PC system (based a round a 25Mhz 386SX CPU, and purchased in January 1992) was 45MB. It's unbelievable to think that even a single airport for FSX (and not a very complex one at that) would be too large!

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Oh Wow,

Dont walk - RUN - go get it - you will thank me after you do - take some time to get up and running but it blows fsx out of the water - true story

Rich Sennett

Dont walk - RUN - go get it - you will thank me after you do - take some time to get up and running but it blows fsx out of the water - true story

Well....I yanked back the towel from the ring....had to go with the full installer, and am now going through the process of ORBX'ing v2.3

It runs well....but what a PITA, the patch didn't work...and the full install forces you to clamor for all your install files....geez!

But...it IS...what it IS.....at least things are going well.  BTW, the cloud terrain shadows SUCK!   Basically little black squares all lumped together.  The shadow in no way mimics the shape of the cloud that is causing it....HDR is way better, and I'm still finagaling with settings to get back my 30 FPS that I enjoyed in v2.2.  I hope in the end, it was all worth the trouble....right now...the jury is out....and of course, I need to get use to it...and see what differences this version is/has......

Mitch

Well....I yanked back the towel from the ring....had to go with the full installer, and am now going through the process of ORBX'ing v2.3

It runs well....but what a PITA, the patch didn't work...and the full install forces you to clamor for all your install files....geez!

But...it IS...what it IS.....at least things are going well.  BTW, the cloud terrain shadows SUCK!   Basically little black squares all lumped together.  The shadow in no way mimics the shape of the cloud that is causing it....HDR is way better, and I'm still finagaling with settings to get back my 30 FPS that I enjoyed in v2.2.  I hope in the end, it was all worth the trouble....right now...the jury is out....and of course, I need to get use to it...and see what differences this version is/has......

Mitch

If you find you are getting stutters turn down the AA in p3d menu as it seems now you do not need all these high AA settings - more optimized but I am going to try a mellower NI cfg just to see what happens - also you can try it now with out NI which I am doing at the moment getting crazy high fps now with almost perfect graphics - all good

Rich Sennett

It took 15 minutes to install P3D v2.3 on my new PC. However, I don't seem to be able to get it to configure my CH Flightstick joystick. It will not accept any button presses as assignments. Can anyone explain what I need to do?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png