Sign in to follow this  
FLAPS15

P3D Advice please

Hi Folks,

OK it is time to try P3D and I am going to purchase this weekend, just need some advice please.

I have a large SSD 240gb with OS on do I place P3D there or on an empty SSD 80gb. FSX is on it own 80 gb SSD.

Also what else do I need once I have downloaded I with to port over my weather engine, airbus several uk2000 airports and Aerosoft airports, however I read there is no night lighting with these unless specifically made for P3D...anyway to get around this. 

Lastly I need a migration tool are these freeware, sorry to sound a bit basic but I do not want to spend ages trying to get all this and then thinking well that was not worth it.

Thanks for you time

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

The only part I can help you is for migration, use Eastonia migration tool. It is not free but the price is well worth the time and effort it will save you.

I personally cannot wait for developers to start making P3D their MAIN target platform.

+1 Use the migration tool and you are fine. More and more developers will move to P3D in the next months.

Oh No well I bought it......and have to say Disappointed..the aircraft screen instruments are unreadable I cannot get rid of Vsynch issues constant tearing and this is only with the default stuff.

Performance is poor limited to 30 FPOS hardly maintains it...yes it is about smoothness not in my case...might be Vsynch my GC is doing nothing..30% I tried all sorts of setting this afternoon and I am just coming here now as I do not want to look at it again today!

If anyone can give some pointers it would help...otherwise this might be the fastest refund LM have had....

Frustrated!!!!

but thanks

You got all your knowledge about P3D v2.3 in one day only and checked all the settings? You must be a genius.

Spirit

240 GB is not large. Install a few sceneries and you'll quickly fill both of those SSD's up.

You got all your knowledge about P3D v2.3 in one day only and checked all the settings? You must be a genius.

Spirit

I'm sure FSX was perfect the first day he tried it...

Thank you,

However I am not Genius, and yes FSX was frustrating, I was asking for some assistance not sarcasm!...

Fair enough....you cannot offer anything to assist

Tomorrow is another day...I will try to have another look

Happy Flying

I strongly recommend you install p3d on its own drive... What ever size you have today, you can swap it out tomorrow.

Thank you yes I did put it on its own drive.

Agree I need to spend more time on this as other have pointed out! It is just is initially so disappointing I cannot even read the instruments on the default aircraft..

And the synch......another story just cannot stop the tearing regardless of setting..

Ah well tomorrow is another day

But many thanks

You might check your zoom level.  Mine was set at .31 for the default and I had the same problem until I changed it. 

80GB SSD is not enough. My installation already has 90GB and i'm just starting. MY FSX installation has almost 200GB. You need at least a 240GB SSD.

Yeah my dedicated 250GB SSD is barely large enough for my FSX+addons. I'll def get a 500GB when I migrate to P3D in the near future. I am waiting until I can download and organize all of the latest installers for my payware addons. It's going to take some time and effort for sure. SO MUCH STUFF!

Hi Folks,

OK it is time to try P3D and I am going to purchase this weekend, just need some advice please.

I have a large SSD 240gb with OS on do I place P3D there or on an empty SSD 80gb. FSX is on it own 80 gb SSD.

Also what else do I need once I have downloaded I with to port over my weather engine, airbus several uk2000 airports and Aerosoft airports, however I read there is no night lighting with these unless specifically made for P3D...anyway to get around this. 

Lastly I need a migration tool are these freeware, sorry to sound a bit basic but I do not want to spend ages trying to get all this and then thinking well that was not worth it.

Thanks for you time

You did not mention what video card you are using which if it is not a more recent and powerful card the performance of P3D (and you) will suffer greatly.  What is the CPU, memory etc.?  Also if you purchase additional scenery, mesh etc. your SSD will fill rapidly so use the biggest SSD you can afford.

If you plan to add scenery, third party aircraft etc. you will almost certainly need the Estonia migration tool.  It is hard to do without it.  I forget what it costs but it is cheap and a very wise investment.

Tell us more about your system so we can help you.  Unfortunately there are wise-asses around that just have to be obnoxious instead of helpful to a newbie.  P3D has come a long way, some people are going to complain no matter what.  It demands a pretty good computer to show its power.  So be patient, you will work it out.

Hi jfail

Thank you that's very kind, sorry should have mentioned the spec..

I7 2600 oc to 4.5 gtx 770 4gb 16gb corsair mem all running on a Asus mb pz8

Running 337. Graphic driver as 340 not so good I hear with p3d I cannot for the life of me stop the tearing with synch..

Also set the cockpit view to wide but even zooming in even in the defaults aircraft it is quite blurred..as are the runway lights large as well..

Yes a lot to do but I really need to get the basic right before even attempting add anything.

Many thanks for you reply

Yes the 340 drivers from Nvidia caused all kinds of problems for many of us and we all reverted to the 337 drivers.  Your system seems to be up to the task but I am no expert on the Asus motherboards although I am very seriously considering replacing my EVGA Z97 motherboard with an ASUS (don't ask!!).  I am not familiar with the 770 (I use the 780ti) but the specs look good for it.

A good place to start with video problems is here:

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=3920

I had tearing problems also but eventually I got rid of them by tweaking the system.  It just takes patience.  FSX was just as bad as I am sure you know.

Don't give up, I believe your system is up to the task and just needs configuring.  One of the experts here is Rob Ainscough who posts a lot and I am hopeful he will see this post and step in to help you.  He has been an enormous help to many of us. 

You (OP) and I have almost the exact same system. You actually have 8GB more memory than I do. Something is definitely wrong for you to be getting those kind of results. Maybe if you posted a screen shot of what you're seeing, it might give us a better idea of what is going on.

Agree i have similar system and i am hitting 60 + fps and smooth as silk with the default planes on default graphic settings love it, i do find hard to read instruments unless zoom in a little and cockpit too dark, using windows 8.1

I strongly recommend you install p3d on its own drive... What ever size you have today, you can swap it out tomorrow.

Sorry to ask, what is the ideal SSD drive size to use just for p3d?

Thanks,

Steve

Sorry to ask, what is the ideal SSD drive size to use just for p3d?

Thanks,

Steve

The prices of SSD's is dropping by the day.  If you are serious about P3D and plan on lots of scenery, mesh, airplanes etc. I would strongly recommend a 1tb SSD. 

One problem that arises is backing up your installation since the drive being backed up to needs to be pretty large also.  I personally have four 1tb HDD'S in my tower case that I backup to from the 1tb SSD.  Amazon has 1tb Western Digital HDD's for down around $60.00 usd.  Backups with a good backup program such as Acronis and others are a wise investment.

If you have or plan to use a large selection of orbx scenery and Pilot mesh, you will exceed 200gigs rather quickly.  But the best thing is you can always by a larger  one as the costs come down.

Yes a lot to do but I really need to get the basic right before even attempting add anything.

How many monitors and what resolution are you running?  Also please list the graphics settings (5 pages).

Sounds like you are running at a resolution that is not native to your monitor and you may also be running FXAA which would make it worse.

When you installed P3D V2.3, did you have 20 GB free before running the installer?

Also, run Windows Performance index and report back those values.

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Rob,

First off thanks to all for their help much appreciated.

Rob these are the current setting FXAA is on I will switch this off

MSAA 2 samples,Anisotropic at. 16, texture at 1024 x 1024

Resolution is 1920x1080x32

Black out desktop ticked,auto fill main view ticked

Vsync tried on and off still tears but off at this time, triple buffering not ticked

Fps set at 30

Wide view aspect not ticked cockpit was to far away, mip map tran ticked

Hardware tessellation not ticked

Monitor is LG native 1920 x 1080 @ 60 hz

Not sure if this helps but thank you in advance, due to a family commitment I am out until later today gmt time so cannot try anything until later.

Cheers

Mark

Rob stop press,

I have at this time with settings given started to achieve 30 fps this is with FSXX on ! This is in the A2 default everything.

I did put in AF 14 to the cfg? Is this correct do I need it and do I need anything else in there.

I feel at least this is going my way I do have Orbx global but not install yet plus the Axe and opus and a must is UT 2 but cannot think of installing anything. Until this is stable.

Anyway to improve the AA

Lastly mI have a saitek cyborg wireless joystick but that just will not work even with calibration...

Some progress!

Thanks

Hardware tessellation not ticked

I would turn this ON, otherwise the CPU is going to be doing more work.

I did put in AF 14 to the cfg?

Remove any AF settings, v2.3 works best without Affinity settings.

Anyway to improve the AA

Yes, but don't go there until you have better performance.  FXAA On and MSAA 4X is the best compromise.

You will need to list out your other settings (cloud shadows, cloud draw distance, other shadows, shadow maps, water, etc.) similar to what I have here: http://www.robainscough.com/Prepar3D_Settings_2.php ... I'd start with the lower quality settings and more up from that.

Cheers, Rob.

I would buy a 3tb hard drive and off load as much as you can onto that. the 500g SSD would be good for P3D and ORBX

Im 1.5 tb into a 3tb HD and that will fill completely too