Sign in to follow this  
daniel_schm

Clouds kill FPS in 2.3

rob@angermanagement.com

I'm not alone, I know others that get the same treatment/threats ... it's not a "huge" problem and it's not representative of a majority, its a few here and there ... and as far as I know, no one has actually been killed yet ;)

Basically don't use LM forums to vent ... use something else, go hiking, biking, kick boxing, lift weights, auto racing ;)  ... whatever it takes.  Certainly report issues, but be receptive to solutions (permanent or temporary or even no solution) that one may not want to hear.  The more open one's mind is (regardless of one's technical background), the higher the odds of finding a workable solution.  For those that can't compromise or the compromise is "too much", then say your piece respectfully and don't repeat it in 15 different threads and add all kinds of irrelevant drama. 

You really don't need a $1000 or $3000 video card to enjoy this hobby regardless of flight sim platform ... there are a billion an 1 things you can do with a $200 video card and there are a billion and 4 things you can do with a $1000 video card.  It's not the video card that's the show stopper, it's your mind.

Cheers, Rob. 

In the meantime until there is a new update from LM I have found following solution for my installation :

Rex4 textures 512 32bit

ASN max cloud layers 3

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=120

Flying over UK from London to Edinburgh today gives me stable 28-32 frames although the south was nearly overcast. Without TBM change I only got 12-16 FPS.

The flight was done using the Razbam Metro, ORBX ENG and SCO and ASN actual weather (20:00z). P3D setting frames unlimited, sync and triple buffer on.

Thanks Michael,I'll try that ;) 

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Cloud layers 2 also works well.

Cheers, Rob.

In case anyone hasnt seen a side by side comparison of the differences, visually, of the old v2.2 cloud.fx vs the 2.3 vs the 2.3 modified (commented out visulize line).. here is a gif loop showing the changes..  Depending on the scenery/addon area/weather config, the drop for me was drastic even on the 780ti with 2.2 vs 2.3.. looking forward to the hotfix from LM :)

p3dv23cloudfxcompare690.gif

This was done on a 650ti (test system).. Cloud Density on high.  Even with my main system iand the 780ti I experience a similar drop going from one version to the other.  Interesting visual differences.  This with the REX 4 textures for clouds, default P3D everything else in this case.  Ill be doing a few other comparisons later via this link.  

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

Voila 

Rig Specs; CPU AMD Ryzen 7950X3d, GPU AMD Liquid Red Devil 7900XTX 24GB,  Memory 32GB 2x8 3000 CL30, WD-SN850 Black 500 GB, WD-SN850 Black  2TB, Asus MoBo X670E D Hero, Be Quit Straight power 1200 Watt platinum. 18 Noctua fans , Aquacomputer Octo tempsensores, yes I am a PC freak.

watercooled 2 x360 rads noctua's push pull EKWB blocks for GPU and CPU 

Screen LG 34GN850-B  with freesync premium     

In case anyone hasnt seen a side by side comparison of the differences, visually, of the old v2.2 cloud.fx vs the 2.3 vs the 2.3 modified (commented out visulize line).. here is a gif loop showing the changes..  Depending on the scenery/addon area/weather config, the drop for me was drastic even on the 780ti with 2.2 vs 2.3.. looking forward to the hotfix from LM :)

Thanks a lot for this comparison, I think it clears up the matter a bit. 2.3 is obviously drawing a lot more clouds which is probably why they are a lot more taxing on the system now, but I noticed that the cloud rendering with the volumise effect looks broken. There's that cloud on the top right of the C172 that looks like it was inverted.

Interesting. I haven't seen this tweak suggested yet. Curious to see others results.

In case anyone hasnt seen a side by side comparison of the differences,

Thanks very much for the side-by-side.  Really appreciated.

To all: here's a technically naive question - since the cloud draw is clearly so much heavier in 2.3, isn't the easiest fix to move the cloud coverage density slider from medium to low?  Or would that produce an overall worse effect.  Am planning to try it myself as soon as I can but was wondering if anyone already had.  

To all: here's a technically naive question - since the cloud draw is clearly so much heavier in 2.3, isn't the easiest fix to move the cloud coverage density slider from medium to low?  Or would that produce an overall worse effect.  Am planning to try it myself as soon as I can but was wondering if anyone already had.

Alan - Good point

Nick Sciortino

For me going from high to medium made little difference, so i opted to leave it on high. (780ti + 4930k)

Interesting. I haven't seen this tweak suggested yet. Curious to see others results.

I already had mine on 120, so for me it wasnt a game changer unfortunately (with the 780ti)

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

I haven´t found a big changer in performance in P3dV2.3. Did some test in EGLL UK2000 gate 303 with a 737 cold and dark and having around 24-26 fps regardless of weather settings via ASN . Layers at 3. I am also wondering if Hybrid mode in UK is using more VAS with vector than using FTX England (Europe) enabled in FTX Central. It did look like it in FSX (200-300MB) so will test this also in P3D.

Performance in heavy jets in England/London/Southampton can get my system down to 13-15 fps sometimes  and on west approach towards Vancouver with PNW/FSDT but i will be happy having a sweet spot of 20-22 fps in P3D as it is very very smooth with high detailed textures loaded under neeth me.

In Colorado KDEN with flightbeam and we are at 26-30 fps on approach(30-40fps on ground) with just FTX Global . Amazing performance makes this area a must for P3D.

GTX780SC ACX EVGA@4,7-4770K

No tweaks at all

Michael

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

In the meantime until there is a new update from LM I have found following solution for my installation :

Rex4 textures 512 32bit

ASN max cloud layers 3

Flying over UK from London to Edinburgh today gives me stable 28-32 frames although the south was nearly overcast. Without TBM change I only got 12-16 FPS.

The flight was done using the Razbam Metro, ORBX ENG and SCO and ASN actual weather (20:00z). P3D setting frames unlimited, sync and triple buffer on.

Why 120 and not 90 or 210 ... or 1800?

Guest Novation

I will be keeping safe a copy of the 2.3 cloud shader file in case LM revert to clouds more like 2.2 which look far less realistic, as far as I'm concerned. The structures appear far more voluminous and realistic in 2.3, and don't suffer the hard base of the earlier versions and I don't notice a vast difference in performance from 2.2 to 2.3... in fact overall performance is up, even if the clouds do pull it back down a bit, so its a compromise I'm happy to bear.

There is without doubt more going on in the sky, which explains some of the loss and as LM has indicated there may be some rendering issues that can be corrected to improve things; I just hope they don't ruin things in the process.

As for death threats etc. its quite shocking the depths some in the FS community will sink to. I had personal abuse after beta testing a certain scenery companies products, and that was enough for me. I naïvely thought FS was a nice gentle hobby, but it does seem to attract the freaks, as much as any gaming community... more so in some cases.

2.3 look fantastic the 2.2 version looks like fsx. The main thing that looks so stunning about 2.3 are the clouds.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Death threats and whack jobs? It'll only get better when FSX comes out on Steam!

I agree that I'm seeing better cloud performance in v2.3 - up to a point. Then it's like that one "cloud that broke the camel's back" get's rendered and everything goes pear shaped all of the sudden. I go from 33 locked at 33 in what seems to be quite heavy cloud cover and then something happens and frames drop to to 7-8 without much noticeable difference in the coverage density. I've tried the cloud.fx fix, didn't help. I just tried TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=120, I found it worse if anything. I've turned cloud density down to minimum while frames are tanked and it maybe jumps up to 13-14 FPS at best. I see a rhythmic stutter when I'm in "tanked mode", like a brief pause exactly once per second. Outside of "tanked mode" the sim is like butter and the rhythmic pauses are not there. I thought maybe it was ASN but I can get the same effect if I load the gray & rainy weather theme. I do think LM is on the right track though, i don't wanna go back either. I just hope they can figure out what's causing this and get it sorted out. In the meantime I thank the hifi gods for historical weather so I can pick and choose what kind of weather to fly in.