Sign in to follow this  
raymar

Maybe a little more news on Dovetail Games's plans for FSX . . . .

Yeesh, this certainly feels like more of a money grab than an actual passing of the torch looks like LM will remain the lone torchbearer

Err....TS2013 to TS2014 was free I believe. At least it was for me.

It was.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

All the Engine upgrades have been free since Dovetail took over; they appear to make money off the DLC.  My only issue is that the Engine hasn't seen any substantial changes, i would struggle to tell them apart.

Lets also not forget that Train Simulator, by it's nature is basically a graphics demo, trains only move in two dimensions.  

My guess is that if Dovetail releases a new version of FS they'll release areas separately; we'll see a lot of shovelware Abacus like models and year on year engine 'improvements' that you struggle to tell apart.

Ian R Tyldesley

There will be NO "improvements" to the core code. They don't have a license to alter the source code, AFIAK.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

There will be NO "improvements" to the core code. They don't have a license to alter the source code, AFIAK.

They can't alter FSX for the Steam edition, but they have the rights to use Microsoft's flight simulator technology, with no details as to what technology specifically, for a new sim they will bringing out next year. Seeing as how Flight resembles their current train simulator business model, and is the more recent engine, that would be my guess as to what the new sim will be based on.

Well of course, but then we are talking about the re-release of FSX/A on Steam, not some pie-in-the-sky venture that hasn't even hit the drawing board yet.

Fr. Bill    

Well of course, but then we are talking about the re-release of FSX/A on Steam, not some pie-in-the-sky venture that hasn't even hit the drawing board yet

In that case I'll check back with this thread in 5-7 years

That's how I see it, a re-release of FSX. It saves Microsoft from carrying inventory, world wide shipping & correspondance. Simple business decision to get rid of a 6-7 year old game!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

They are allowed to fix the multiplayer and make FSX Steam compatible, so steam will accept it. My guess is that's all.

Lets also not forget that Train Simulator, by it's nature is basically a graphics demo, trains only move in two dimensions.  

Hi mate, fellow UK simmer here, from what I've seen it's a bit unfair about the 2D quip. I know what your getting at, but obviously it's rendered in 3D and there is some lovely variety in some of the trackside visuals but the engine is clearly dated. However I'll admit I don't own the game.

As for the engine, aren't they using Unreal 4 for the next release of Train Simulator?

Not really sure how they are going to play it for there first proper Flight Simulator release, I've heard 2015 mentioned (FS2016?), which is barely a years development - pretty much enough time to update the shell I.e. maybe look at CPU utilisation, DirectX 12, Unreal 4 but The 'game' will essentially be the same - How else can they play it if they are not updating the existing code?...

You certainly couldn't develop a completely new Flight Simulator in 12 months, so all I can see happening is updating the original, maybe stripping it back and slowly building - which ever way you look at it, it could be a good few releases before we have another modern FSX which is still a long long long way away...

Cheers,

Dave.

You certainly couldn't develop a completely new Flight Simulator in 12 months, so all I can see happening is updating the original, maybe stripping it back and slowly building - which ever way you look at it, it could be a good few releases before we have another modern FSX which is still a long long long way away...

Dave, that date is when the "Steam" release of FSX Gold to be made available. There is no expected date given for whatever new DTG might release based on the MS flight simulator technology.

Fr. Bill    

Dave, that date is when the "Steam" release of FSX Gold to be made available. There is no expected date given for whatever new DTG might release based on the MS flight simulator technology.

Actually in the press statement it says the target date for an FSX release to Steam will be late 2014. As Dave mentions 2015 is the year mentioned in the press release for a first DTG release based on Microsoft's fight technology.

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

Hi mate, fellow UK simmer here, from what I've seen it's a bit unfair about the 2D quip. I know what your getting at, but obviously it's rendered in 3D and there is some lovely variety in some of the trackside visuals but the engine is clearly dated. However I'll admit I don't own the game.

Yes, i made a poor choice of words.  Basically i was trying to say that trains only move within the confines of the track environment, once we wonder away from that the graphics are actually very poor.

I don't think that the simulation engine is actually bad, i just think that Dovetail don't seem to offer many improvements from one year to the next.  I don't hold out much hope that the simulator they eventually release will be worth the time.

Ian R Tyldesley

Yes, i made a poor choice of words.  Basically i was trying to say that trains only move within the confines of the track environment, once we wonder away from that the graphics are actually very poor.

I don't think that the simulation engine is actually bad, i just think that Dovetail don't seem to offer many improvements from one year to the next.  I don't hold out much hope that the simulator they eventually release will be worth the time.

+1

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.