Sign in to follow this  
raymar

Maybe a little more news on Dovetail Games's plans for FSX . . . .

Hi Bill,

I'm not 100% sure. I've seen two distinct text from comments reported from Dovetail statements in the same article...

"The company is currently investigating new concepts in this area and is expecting to bring a release to marked in 2015."

"Dovetail Games will bring Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition to the Steam online gaming platform for first time in late 2014."

If FSX is coming out in 2015 then this is contradicting itself. So surely the 2015 release is a 'Dovetail' Flight Simulator. Seems completely implausible to release to market that soon, but that's what the comments have stated.

Cheers,

Dave.

A Dovetail "Flight" could certainly be released in 2015, but it would pretty much have to be just a rebadged MS Flight.

Really a pointless discussion about info that we really do not know much about. So much speculation... FSX..Flight.. Dovetail's own sim.

Pure speculation &, once again, the engines of the rumour mill is running!.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

I spoke with DTG on Saturday and they say they will start with FSX as it is and progress it carefully in the direction we want, after getting it all working and stable first.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Steve,

Were you manning one of the stands at Cosford, or were you just a visitor? If I had known you were there, I would have come over for a chat.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Just visiting. Would have been good to see you.

I spoke with DTG on Saturday and they say they will start with FSX as it is and progress it carefully in the direction we want, after getting it all working and stable first.

Haven't LM already done that??

No. LM have MS ESP.

ESP is FSX sold commercially

It is much more than that. It has the "hooks" in it to add bathymetry as just one example. Imagine using it to train UAV operators in penetrating harbors... You get the drift, I am sure. There are a number of other "hooks" for a variety of applications that have nothing to do with aviation. Why else would LMOC and Northrop purchase the licenses to it?

Did DTG purchase the Train Simulator 'franchise' in a similar way as Flight Simulator from Microsoft? ... or how did that work?

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

Let's assume then that Dovetail apply similar "fixes" to FSX as did LM. Doesn't that rather split the sim community? As they start off essentially as the same product. One has a "gaming" licence and the other a "Training" licence. FSX is as it were already out there complete with hundreds of mods, aircraft etc. Are all those developers going to switch their products to Steam? I doubt it.

Let's assume then that Dovetail apply similar "fixes" to FSX as did LM. Doesn't that rather split the sim community? As they start off essentially as the same product. One has a "gaming" licence and the other a "Training" licence. FSX is as it were already out there complete with hundreds of mods, aircraft etc. Are all those developers going to switch their products to Steam? I doubt it.

All those developers are going to go where they can make money. And those too stubborn to do so will be replaced by eager start-ups who will.

Assuming that DTG is successful.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Whoa there, hold them horses. The original announcement was that DTG is only licensed to release FSX/A pretty much as-is, with the only changes being made to incorporate Steam's version of multi-player, and possibly a few bug fixes.

Where and how this got magically morphed into what's being suggested now is a serious question... :blink:

For those who're still confused, this rather simple statement from Dovetail Games seems pretty darn clear and unambiguous!

We have a license to re=release FSX on Steam and this does not extend to making product improvements. Ultimately overall direction for the product remains with Microsoft.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator