Sign in to follow this  
Heimi

Flight Servers to be shut down, end of the road.

This topic started out with the official MS Signoff, and of course a lot of us replied with "What a shame..." and  "What could have been..."

But this topic has swung to a positive, where we can go next in Flight.  Goodbyes are done. Hello, let's go.

Shame shame, you have not been paying attention

As I stated earlier, I have never used MS Flight. That means that I do not normally visit the MS Flight forum, and therefore do not keep "up to date" with the latest news :smile:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

As I stated earlier, I have never used MS Flight. That means that I do not normally visit the MS Flight forum, and therefore do not keep "up to date" with the latest news

Thanks anyway for your kind words in the previous post Cristopher.

I myself wasn't aware of Stonelance's contribution until quite a time after he made his toolkit available for MS FLIGHT users. I have also been and continue to be, away from MS FLIGHT and all of the MSFS / LM franchise, although I save the best memories from using it.

Somehow one of the sims I use now, a combat flightsim, has attracted me more than other I have tried for a while exactly because the "ambience", the overall immersion and sensation of being there pretty much reminds me of my MS FLIGHT user times...

I can't blame MS for having decided to abandon flight simulation and other games. It's great that we have Stonelance, and it would be great to see MS FLIGHT re-birth in the future, but it's also great that LM picked MSFS where MS left it and is continuing to support it, and to develop.

MS should really concentrate on doing what they do best - operating systems for the PC, development environments, ...  As a professional user of UNIX and LINUX for many years, it's still Windows, even with all of it's quirks I prefer to use, and Office, and other tools....

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I can't blame MS for having decided to abandon flight simulation and other games.

Actually, I do blame Microsoft.......for raising the hopes of so many people by developing MS Flight, and then slamming the door in their faces when profits weren't as mega wonderful as they had hoped (or fantasised). Whilst I could understand their decision if they were losing money, it seems (based on comments elsewhere on this forum) that they decided to abandon it because they weren't making enough money. If that is the case, then why bother starting it in the first place? They surely didn't think that MS Flight would be the next Grand Theft Auto?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Yes Christopher, I agree with you on that, but I was referring to the meta-level decision - no longer support game development.

Of course the way it all ended up affecting us MS FLIGHT users, that's another story....

@Stonelance, if you're reading this - were you involved in some way on fde for the MS FLIGHT aircraft? Once I found my way into the intricacies of the FDM components of some packs, and found interesting news regarding the way some internal variables I know from fs9 and fsx were being re-defined... Well... maybe with your toolkit can evolve to allow the editing of the FDM component too ( ? ) 

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Nice to hear from you again jcomm

Steve

Thx Steve, I am always polling the forum too :-)

Looking fwd for even better nerws regarding the toolkit!

Main Simulation Rig:

Flight was losing a ton of money.  Whoever said otherwise is wrong.

jcomm: You can already edit the physics for aircraft.  All the simData files which define the physics characteristics are simprop files that can be turned to xml with the SimPropCompiler.  You can even do conversion of some FSX aircraft into Flight, but due to the Flight physics model being different the conversion usually doesn't result in a useable aircraft without any hand tweaking of the flight model.  Please feel free to play with that!  I'm sure people would love to have a new usable aircraft in Flight.

I shall only take my MS Flight information from your good self in future, Stonelance :smile:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Flight was losing a ton of money.  Whoever said otherwise is wrong.

A lot of that comes from this thread. http://forum.avsim.net/topic/423253-the-man-who-helped-kill-fsx-his-new-role/page-11

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

You can use MSFlight offline right now. Just the online features are gone.

Then I admit to not knowing what a) the online features are  :blush:  and b ) why the shutdown of those, with multiplayer still being possible, is relevant.

What prevents the actual usage of Flight for you folks? Referring to some of the 'the plug was pulled' tenors.

I had a small Chat with the MS Community Manager.

.... im suprised that Multiplayer is still possible.
How long will it be available? Or is it independent of the MS Servers?

... that is interesting and not what we expected. I'll have to investigate that further. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Interesting that they didnt know about that.