Sign in to follow this  
fppilot

The Final L-1011 Passenger Flight

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

It was the last flight of the MD-11, not a L-1011. :-)

I thought the L1-1011s went to those graveyards in the Arizona desert ages ago?

That misleading topic title had me wondering had a 'ghost' L1-1011 appeared, maybe Just Flight's soon-to-be-upgraded Professional!

Maybe the OP has never heard of an MD11

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Nevertheless, the link was a fascinating read, not only about KLM's last   'Audrey Hepburn'    flight from Montreal-Amsterdam, but also exploring why that particular aircraft fared so badly in the commercial world. And despite the bleatings from simmers asking PMDG to upgrade the MD-11, I for one cannot see it happening.

Nevertheless, the link was a fascinating read, not only about KLM's last   'Audrey Hepburn'    flight from Montreal-Amsterdam, but also exploring why that particular aircraft fared so badly in the commercial world. And despite the bleatings from simmers asking PMDG to upgrade the MD-11, I for one cannot see it happening.

The MD11 is an excellent cargo hauler and very prominent in that world just like the 757 will be and the 744 in future years.  These aircraft after long gone from the commercial/passenger market are very alive in the cargo world.  That alone deserves a place in the FS world espeically with an amazing rendition already available from PMDG.  If people can justify a 737-100/200 or L1011 in FS which isn't flying anywhere for the most part surely an active cargo aircraft that will be around well into the future deserves a second thought. 

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Actually L-1011 is still flying for 1 or 2 airliners from Africa I bealive!!

Globe Jet has 5 in it's fleet!!

Regards, Albert Miu
                                                            CPU: Intel i7 4790k @4.6Ghz GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 8GB OC Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VI Hero RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 1866mhz 
                                               PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G2 Case: Corsair VENGEANCE C70 Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H110 Monitor: BENQ 1920x1080 Windows: 10 x64 Professional

X-Plane 11 Group:     Facebook

Nice read! And yet it will fly in the Virtual FS world forever and not age at all.

What a minutes! Is FS airplane heaven?

The MD11 is an excellent cargo hauler and very prominent in that world just like the 757 will be and the 744 in future years.  These aircraft after long gone from the commercial/passenger market are very alive in the cargo world.  That alone deserves a place in the FS world espeically with an amazing rendition already available from PMDG.  If people can justify a 737-100/200 or L1011 in FS which isn't flying anywhere for the most part surely an active cargo aircraft that will be around well into the future deserves a second thought. 

Valid point, but question is, (a) is there a market out there seeing a prominent developer like PMDG could not attract large enough sales to throw resources at it in a follow-up, in the first instance, and (b) which developer will be brave enough to take this venture on? A handful of FS enthusiasts does not underwrite the pay-checks for the developers.

Actually L-1011 is still flying for 1 or 2 airliners from Africa I bealive!!

Globe Jet has 5 in it's fleet!!

Again, it isn't flying anywhere in the real world 'for the most part'.

FS2020 

What do you mean it's not flying in the real world??

Regards, Albert Miu
                                                            CPU: Intel i7 4790k @4.6Ghz GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 8GB OC Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VI Hero RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 1866mhz 
                                               PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G2 Case: Corsair VENGEANCE C70 Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H110 Monitor: BENQ 1920x1080 Windows: 10 x64 Professional

X-Plane 11 Group:     Facebook

Valid point, but question is, (a) is there a market out there seeing a prominent developer like PMDG could not attract large enough sales to throw resources at it in a follow-up, in the first instance, and ( B) which developer will be brave enough to take this venture on? A handful of FS enthusiasts does not underwrite the pay-checks for the developers.

Actually it did quite well in the FSX market upon release because at the time not that much was out there on that level at the time for FSX.  On the FS9 side people were distraught the 737 was not chosen first knowing full well FS9 was on borrowed time with PMDG.  The climate today has changed as once people got their hands on PMDG's MD11 they liked it.  I was one that hated it was chosen first over the 737 at the time but just the same once I got it I loved it.  Now fast forward to today when the NGX is a matured aircraft on the market, the 777 is out, and P3D is a reality.  Seeing as in many areas P3D is an updated FSX it's not like building a whole new aircraft to make the MD11 compatible with P3D.  The market is asking for it as FSX users who want as much of their add-ons in P3D want this bird as well.  Same goes for those going from FS9 to P3D.  No one is asking for a total rebuild just make the current one compatible.  There is plenty of support for this and development would be less work than the 744 their currently working on.

FS2020 

There is plenty of support for this and

Enough to equate to sales enough to plough back? I'm one of those MD-11 fans that bought the FS9 and the FSX versions. There is nothing I'd want more, but will it happen? I doubt it.

What do you mean it's not flying in the real world??

When I say 'For the most Part' what I'm saying is if only one or two airlines are using it, it's basically dead.  In comparison to 64 rotated over to Fedex and 38 with UPS with no plans of phasing them out in the near future.  Heck that KLM bird is most likely heading to cargo service after it leaves Amsterdam.  In contrast the L1011 most likely doesn't have 5 being used at one time with any airline and no option to migrate into cargo operations.  It's about as dead as the 737-100/200.  So there is a point if we can have a great L1011 in P3D by CS and others it would be nice if PMDG considers their work for P3D as well.  After all it's still a major player in the cargo world.

Enough to equate to sales enough to plough back? I'm one of those MD-11 fans that bought the FS9 and the FSX versions. There is nothing I'd want more, but will it happen? I doubt it.

I doubted PMDG would ever consider anything else outside of FSX at one point (unless Microsoft got back in the game) but here we are...  If people speak out enough it could happen.  Again a total rebuild is not needed, just support it and make it function in P3Dv2.

FS2020