Sign in to follow this  
hiway

Removing unwanted aircraft

Is there a clean way to delete aircraft that I no longer will fly from FS9? I'm thinking of default as well as freeware addons.

Thanks,

Paul

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Paul, it's not always wise to delete aircraft from FSX/FS9, as some are used for AI and so forth. Much better IMO to simply disable them so they don't show up in the aircraft menu. To do this just go to the aircraft you want to disable, in FSX/Simobjects/Airplanes/ and add _OFF to the panel folder so  'Panel' becomes 'Panel_OFF'. That's how I do things.

Howard is right, dont delete the default aircraft. Some addons alias panels and the like to the default a/c.

If you you want to delete a/c you have added yourself, remove the folder from the FS9 aircraft folder, or run the uninstaller if it is a payware product

To do this just go to the aircraft you want to disable, in FSX/Simobjects/Airplanes/ and add _OFF to the panel folder so  'Panel' becomes 'Panel_OFF'. That's how I do things.

That certainly might work for FSXers, but since this is the FS2004 forum, I've got to press the buzzer on your answer ...... BUZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

What you should do is Google a program called AirEd and open the .air files you find in the folder of the default aircraft you want to remove with it. Change the aircraft type field to 2 and save... That reclassifies the plane as not player flyable, so it won't show up.

Another program, similar to what ematheson has recommended, is:  FS Aircraft Typer  - FSAT

I've used it for years to reclassify "flyable" or "non-flyable" aircraft (which show up or don't show up in the menu).

gwillmot

That certainly might work for FSXers, but since this is the FS2004 forum, I've got to press the buzzer on your answer ...... BUZZZZZZZZZZZ

Same thing in FS9, the folder is just different (FS9/Aircraft instead of  FSX/Simobjects/Airplanes/ )

Same thing in FS9, the folder is just different (FS9/Aircraft instead of  FSX/Simobjects/Airplanes/ )

"Same thing only different".  You can't use that ......... it's mine ...... been using it on my wife for years!

"Same thing only different".  You can't use that ......... it's mine ...... been using it on my wife for years!

???? What on earth are you talking about. What Rockliffe posted (changing the panel folder to panel_OFF) will work in FS9. 

Does anyone have a sense of humor in here anymore?  Sheesh!  If I have to explain them ....... well ......

Panel=OFF doesn't remove the aircraft. It just disables the panel rendering the a/c unflyable by the user.

It's quite simple to delete a/c. Just delete their folders. You don't even have to run an uninstaler. But as has been said don't delete any of the default a/c.

So to summarize:

1.  Addon aircraft - just delete the folder (freeware) or use the uninstaller (payware)

2.  Default aircraft - use Air Ed or FSAT to modify the AIR file so they no longer appear in the Select Aircraft menu.

Hope this helps,

Panel "anything" doesn't work in FS04, only FSX. Editing the .air file is what is needed.

Panel "anything" doesn't work in FS04, only FSX. Editing the .air file is what is needed.

Wrong it does work in FS9!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I put panel=OFF in the a/c cfg I don't see a panel when I load the a/c!

Wrong it does work in FS9!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I put panel=OFF in the a/c cfg I don't see a panel when I load the a/c!

Oh, BTW a FS plane can fly without a panel.

And seeing that this ENTIRE thread is about removing planes from FS04 your panel edits will not accomplish this.

If you are exclusively using 3rd party AI and flight plans that do not require calling the default traffic file then yes, by all means, remove the default aircraft. I say remove, not delete.

In my instance I simply created a new folder in the FS9 hierarchy called "Hanger" and moved all unnecessary aircraft across to it. But then I'm using heavy and GA AI models and traffic files that make no call on default aircraft and I haven't experienced a problem ... yet.

As for gauges ... check to see if any aircraft you wish to fly needs any default gauges from aircraft you have moved to your "Hanger" folder and, if so, simply copy the requisite gauge cab file into your FS9 Gauge folder.

Just my two penneth's worth.

Does anyone have a sense of humor in here anymore?  Sheesh!  If I have to explain them ....... well ......

It's OK gwillmot ... there're just not used to you.   :rolleyes:

"Same thing only different". You can't use that ......... it's mine ...... been using it on my wife for years!

Has it ever worked yet? Never has for me, maybe I'm just not saying it smooth enough. My wife just gives me the 'disbelieving wife' look. I've even tried the six of one, half dozen of the other approach to no avail.

Remove stock aircraft; simply move to a back up folder as some has already suggested, . . . . except (a) never delete or move the stock gauges unless the gauges are in the stock aircrafts panel folder. ( B) In that case move the gauge(s) or CAB file(s) to the FS9 root gauge folder before moving the aircraft to back up. You may run into problems if a aircraft you install has a panel that is aliased to a stock aircraft in which case you might need to take the back up back into the aircraft folder.

AI aircraft not required by a flight plan that is installed; delete or move to a back up.

Third party flyable aircraft; Pay ware option 1 is to move the aircraft to a back up folder, option 2 would be turn run the uninstaller if one is provided.

Third party flyable aircraft; Free ware, move the aircraft to a back up folder or delete or if a uninstaller use that.

Note that deleting some aircraft that have panels and gauges provided will not remove the gauges from the gauge folder, however that is not a problem or cause for concern.

If you are running some sort of AI traffic file that uses stock aircraft then moving them out of the aircraft folder is not a good idea.

Using AirEd to classify flyable aircraft as AI has its merits and also the downside in that it leaves your aircraft folder with aircraft which over time you may loose track of and wasted space.

"It's OK gwillmot ... there're just not used to you" . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . A diplomat in the making.

Regards

Oh, BTW a FS plane can fly without a panel.

And seeing that this ENTIRE thread is about removing planes from FS04 your panel edits will not accomplish this.

Noobody said that panel off "removes" the aircraft! The only way to "remove" an aircraft is to physically "remove" it!

A lot of noise and faff about a very simple procedure of adding _off to the panel folders of aircraft that are not needed  :smile:

A lot of noise and faff about a very simple procedure of adding _off to the panel folders of aircraft that are not needed  :smile:

Source of noise and faff : Your answer to a question that no one has asked ...........................

gwillmot

Deputy Sherriff

Local FS2004 Faff Police

As Jim says, the OP wants to remove the plane from (at least) the Select Aircraft menu, not remove a panel.

Thank you all for the great response. The consensuses seems to be; Leave them alone.

I'll have to be more choosey about which AC I install.

Thanks,

Paul