Sign in to follow this  
Paul12

Could a flight simmer take off with a real 737 ?

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

You'd hit the wingtip on something before you'd even made the runway. That's if you got moving in the first instance.

I suspect you couldn't even figure out how to get in the door of the aircraft and if you did you'd never get the initial circuit breakers and systems operating.

and if you did you'd never get the initial circuit breakers and systems operating.

Yes you would if the aircraft was prepared for a flight & you've done enough 737NGX flying. What you get with PMDG's default panel states is more or less what pilots should get when they go into the cockpit.

Yes you would if the aircraft was prepared for a flight & you've done enough 737NGX flying. What you get with PMDG's default panel states is more or less what pilots should get when they go into the cockpit.

I am somewhat surprised not getting unanimous answers for such a simple question.

May be I did not make myself clear enough,therefore I try again.

I am sitting in the cockpit of a 737 and everything is set up for the take off,now I mean everything.I am on

the runway,no taxi needed,no worries about the wings hitting anything.

AS mentionned CDU is programmed,LNav,VNav,autothrottle on,engines running etc

In theory all I have to do is advance the throttle,keep the aircraft on the runway,at v1 rotate gently to about 15 degrees

and when reaching 800 feet switch the autopilot on.End of exercice.( Now a real pilot takes over )

And that's it.

By the way I used to fly Cessna 172 and when learning I found the easiest was the take off.

Herbert Werni

I am somewhat surprised not getting unanimous answers for such a simple question.

May be I did not make myself clear enough,therefore I try again.

I am sitting in the cockpit of a 737 and everything is set up for the take off,now I mean everything.I am on

the runway,no taxi needed,no worries about the wings hitting anything.

AS mentionned CDU is programmed,LNav,VNav,autothrottle on,engines running etc

In theory all I have to do is advance the throttle,keep the aircraft on the runway,at v1 rotate gently to about 15 degrees

and when reaching 800 feet switch the autopilot on.End of exercice.( Now a real pilot takes over )

And that's it.

By the way I used to fly Cessna 172 and when learning I found the easiest was the take off.

Almost anybody could "take-off". But, would they be able to keep it in the air without stalling. And, would they be able to land. No! is the answer.

Almost anybody could "take-off". But, would they be able to keep it in the air without stalling. And, would they be able to land. No! is the answer.

Or it might be yes, depends from the person, weather conditions etc. Considering the high rate of survival in relatively low velocity crashes I think it would be possible to at least make a crash landing that would be survivable for most people, think about the Asiana SFO crash for example. 

Fwiw I flew BA's 737-400 simulator with only minimal input from the instructor having only flown light aircraft and desktop sims. In many ways it was easier than the desktop sim as there are many more cues and the controls feel much weightier. Handling an aircraft that is set up to fly is one thing but flying it in anger under pressure is another. The challenge would not so much be flying the aircraft for an experienced simmer but in the 'is there anybody to fly the plane' scenario, who would you talk to on the radio and how would you find your way to the airport without charts or an idea of where you were? At night, IMC, with the autopilot off you will not last long before it goes horribly wrong. Not only that but in a 30 ton jet approaching a runway at 150 knots it looks VERY short, believe me.

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com 

I guess you missed this thread http://forum.avsim.net/topic/453363-could-i-fly-a-real-boeing-737-800/  just on the next page ^_^

Anyway, from now on I'm going to answer YES to all similar questions, just to boost the sales & moral in FS community :rolleyes:

Recently I've logged over 100h in Hang Gliders in FSX, although I've never done Hang Gliding IRL, I'm totally convinced that the knowledge & experience that FSX & ASN have provided me with, is sufficient to try it in the real thing.

So I've bought an used Hang Glider & tomorrow I'm going to a mountain & take-off, glide around a little, take some pictures & land.....should be a piece of cake It's so easy in FSX. I'll post a video tomorrow of the whole thing :BigGrin:  

I guess you missed this thread http://forum.avsim.net/topic/453363-could-i-fly-a-real-boeing-737-800/  just on the next page ^_^

Anyway, from now on I'm going to answer YES to all similar questions, just to boost the sales & moral in FS community :rolleyes:

Recently I've logged over 100h in Hang Gliders in FSX, although I've never done Hang Gliding IRL, I'm totally convinced that the knowledge & experience that FSX & ASN have provided me with, is sufficient to try it in the real thing.

So I've bought an used Hang Glider & tomorrow I'm going to a mountain & take-off, glide around a little, take some pictures & land.....should be a piece of cake It's so easy in FSX. I'll post a video tomorrow of the whole thing :BigGrin:  

You did what!!! You bought a used hang glider. Who has tested it? No-one! And, tomorrow you're going to jump off a mountain with absolutely no experience at all of flying in real weather. You will kill yourself!!

You did what!!! You bought a used hang glider. Who has tested it? No-one! And, tomorrow you're going to jump off a mountain with absolutely no experience at all of flying in real weather. You will kill yourself!!

That's a horrible thing to say.

I flew a full motion 737 sim into Kai Tak the other day, landed normally. All I have is 120 hrs in a piper/ Cessna and many fsx hours. It seems easier than landing a Cessna, because everything is about numbers and very little about feel, there is no flare, at 50 ft you just slowly pull the power and bring the nose to 5 degrees up, if there is a cross wind you just hit the rudder right before touch down to a align the nose. Taking off is even simpler.

A trained monkey could do all that.

If you're very fit and love football, and have watched every game for years and are a theoretical expert at the sport, could you play football and do it well?

I think the point is "yes, you could, until something unexpected occurred when you need actual experience".

I once "flew" a B733 sim at United Airlines, I was able to actually take off and switch on the AP, using FLCH, etc, but lacked the real experience to be able to land it without the big red screen appearing- also, when the UA instructor started doing some small and simplistic things to distract me, things got very hard and I needed her input to resolve them...

Bruce.

A trained monkey could do all that.

And  the monkey can be blindfolded as well

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg