Sign in to follow this  
TurboKen

i7-2600k to i7-4790k? Worth the upgrade for FSX/P3D?

Hello all, I have seen a few reviews from people with AMD chips going to the new devils canyon, but how about sandy bridge.

I have a 2600k that runs fine at 4.8Ghz and I have played FSX with it as high as 5.1Ghz and definitely notice a smoother running sim and hotter LOL.

Is it worth going from a 2600k @ 4.8 to a 4790k assuming I can run it @ 4.6- 4.8? I will be reusing my 2133 ram and have a GTX970 on its way already.

Anyone with a similar setup care to give some feedback.

Thanks.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

Went from a 4770k to 4790k and never regretted it. I didn't get more fps really, but smoothness was the big plus.

Video card is 780 and mem is at 2400. Running FS9, FSX and P3Dv2.4

note: the 4790k is running simple oc at 4.6ghz and temps idling at 26 celsius and 45 to 50 celsius in simulators.

Best setup I ever had for FSX/P3Dv2

Pierre

Pierre

The IPC increase from Sandy Bridge to Haswell is minimal. If I were you, I would wait for Skylake. It's a tock which means and architecture change, which usually brings a larger IPC increase than a tock.

The IPC increase from Sandy Bridge to Haswell is minimal. If I were you, I would wait for Skylake. It's a tock which means and architecture change, which usually brings a larger IPC increase than a tock.

If we look at K-series CPU:s Intel replace the 4790k with Broadwell K then skylake K (not confirmed) in the the end of 2015 begining 2016.

If we look at K-series CPU:s Intel replace the 4790k with Broadwell K then skylake K (not confirmed) in the the end of 2015 begining 2016.

When you think about it it's not that long away. The gap between Broadwell and Skylake is skewed compared to Intel's past release history.

Absolutely

Went from a 4770k to 4790k and never regretted it. I didn't get more fps really, but smoothness was the big plus.

Video card is 780 and mem is at 2400. Running FS9, FSX and P3Dv2.4

note: the 4790k is running simple oc at 4.6ghz and temps idling at 26 celsius and 45 to 50 celsius in simulators.

Best setup I ever had for FSX/P3Dv2

Pierre

What was the 4770 running at? Could you not have overclocked it to near 4.6?

I wouldn't upgrade a 4.8Ghz Sandy to a 4790k to be honest.

I have a 4790k@4.5 and even with things tweaked as well as possible alongside a 970 I still get borderline choppy frames coming into big airports...usually from 18-25fps. (I realise that my chip is not really that much faster than yours but you could end up with a dud).

My guess is you won't be far off that yourself.

If you're upgrading for FSX, I would just wait until you hear reports of people able to sustain 30fps landing at big airports...that's when I'm next upgrading my CPU assuming I haven't moved to P3D.

The 4770k was a dud. It barely made it to 4.2 stable.

And that's the main reason I upgraded.

Cheers

Pierre

I have i7 4790k it's about 15% difference from the i5 3570k. I have. with I7 2600k I would not bother upgrading to i7 4790k not enough gain for its price tag.

An i7 2600k @ 4.8Ghz is already a very powerful system for FSX. I really can't see how you would see all that much of an increase in performance with an i7 4790k.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

An i7 2600k @ 4.8Ghz is already a very powerful system for FSX. I really can't see how you would see all that much of an increase in performance with an i7 4790k.

The difference to My 2700k system @5.1ghz and 5.0ghz 4790k with fast mems (2666 cl10)

Is 16-17% even more if a push the mems to 2800 cl10

Have the 2700k system up and running as second pc

I went from a 2600K to 4790K @4.6ghz. Not for performance reasons but to give a computer to a family member. I really havn't noticed much if any any performance difference between the two running P3D and X-Plane. At least not worth the $. Oh, the 4790K runs considerably hotter on water. 10c almost.

I went from a 2600K to 4790K @4.6ghz. Not for performance reasons but to give a computer to a family member. I really havn't noticed much if any any performance difference between the two running P3D and X-Plane. At least not worth the $. Oh, the 4790K runs considerably hotter on water. 10c almost.

Have sen some slow Haswell systems out here , probaly to do with slow mems 1333-1600mhz

I actually didn't want to switch from 2600K to 4790K yet.  I want CPU which will give at least 30% improvement over 2600K @5.0GHz

I actually didn't want to switch from 2600K to 4790K yet.  I want CPU which will give at least 30% improvement over 2600K @5.0GHz....

.....and that's the crux of the matter. A properly configured i7 4790k system will certainly be faster than an i7 2600k system, but is the relatively small increase in performance actually worth shelling out hundreds of pounds for? Maybe for people who have more money than they know what to do with, but for the average flight simmer, a decent i7 2600k system running at 4.8Ghz is easily good enough until the CPU manufacturers find a solution to the current clock frequency "bottleneck". Yes, I know that they have switched to multi cores, but unless they can find a way to get that clock frequency moving again, I suspect that speed improvements compared to even a decade ago are going to be rather disappointing.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png