Sign in to follow this  
yafatana

why p3d 2.4 does not support windows 8.1

I do not know where they will buy any new licences. or where you will buy a copy if need another one for say another computer if you have been using OEM versions.

I suggest you don't know how commercial organisations buy  their licences - not in a store.

The Company I work for has only just started moving over to Windows 7

There are still  processes and machinery at our site that use Windows NT as their UI and always will, they work, the processes have been validated and the cost of replacement is in the high millions.

Imagine trying to move 100,000 employees to a new OS or scrapping a large percentage of process machinery at over a hundred large installations  around the world.

And all this needs to be validated with the relevant authoritys in each country before we can produce on these processes and sell the products produced.

Just so users can have a few live tiles on their desktop ?, I can't see it happening any time soon.

That's how industry works and they will have no issues getting more seats from MS, trust me

January 14, 2020 for Windows 7, no need to panic just yet.

I very much doubt if  "Large Corporations" worry too much about MS support, if it works they tend to leave well alone.

I still get called to work on Windows 2000 machines, in this building there are lable printing machines running on Win 3.1, checkweighers running DOS 6.22, if it does the job it's good enough

I have still not seen Windows 8.1 running in any commercial environment, I still see as many XP machines as Win7, one leading software package that is in use across the organisation is still only validated on XP, testing continues on Win7.

When an organisation has thousands of desktops across a global network and a huge amount of industrial processes running on various operating systems you do not just jump because MS wants the same UI on its phones as its desktop OS, there is a lot more that goes into the decisions than worrying about start menus vs tiles

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

gives the official dates,.

I assure you very large organisations have had to move.

They can continue to get extended support for a rather high cost till the date that is noted.

Windows 7 and before is no longer available for retail sale.

Time to shift I think.

You should have read your own link further:

End of sales refers to the date when a particular version of Windows is no longer shipped to retailers or Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs).

Others will still be able to get it. You seriously think that a company using 10,000+ licence Windows 7 licences will have to use windows 8 for a new employee after January 13, 2015.

Also your link also states;

For Volume Licensing programs, licenses will continue to be available through downgrade rights after the end of general availability. General availability of licenses for the previous version of Windows will cease as soon as the new version is available. However, we will make media available for the current version as well as the previous two versions.

Windows 7 and before is no longer available for retail sale.

The "retail package" is no longer available, but...

...there are plenty of OEM packages still available for sale. I just bought one a few weeks ago from my local Tiger Direct store.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator