Sign in to follow this  
Joe Flyer2

What are you expecting from Dovetail Games?

There is no way I have been able to make the performance of P3D as good or better than FSX. Specially in clouds and precip where we need it the most! Wish I could. In fact we are just about to the point of going back to FSX as performance is more important for our training facility than pretty cloud shadows or etc. Students complaint about stutters we dont have in FSX or X-Plane.  Nvidia 980's and Intel 4790K's @ 4.7 ghz,

It is really surprising that you aren't able to make P3D v2.4 run better than FSX. On my modest i7 2700K and ancient GTX580 the difference is huge!

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

This is purely speculation based on what I've read and experienced...

After patching FSX for Steam and milking a few pennies from sim newbies (who do not yet know they've been seduced into buying a 9 -year-old application), Dovetail will make a free-to-play flight "game" that includes a single reasonably-sized territory to explore. You will then have to pay to add new areas and aircraft. It will probably have some decent eye-candy, but lack most of the features we expect in a sim. No way it will have full coverage of Earth.

Basically, MS Flight, stripped of passion and authenticity.

Are you angry with Dovetail with something? They said that they will redistribute FSX on Steam (which is already a big plus for me) with some bug fixes and revived multiplayer (another plus for me, the little time I've spent on FSX multiplayer was enjoyable). When I get my next computer I will have to buy FSX again anyway since I'll have used the 3-machine activation limit, which version would be most logical to buy? The boxed version with the activation limits or the Steam version with enhancements?

Also you're forgetting that they'll develop a new flight simulator with Microsoft's tech, and until we see what it is, we can't say that Prepar3D is the only way to the future.

He's right! Many seem to believe that Dovetail is merely redistributing FSX. While this is true, Dovetail clearly stated that they would be developing a new flight simulation product using Microsoft's technology. So, let's put that out there now. Perhaps the comments can be a bit more question specific, now.

*For those of you who would like to disagree or agree with a statement that is from Dovetail, please provide a source to verify. Otherwise, just tell me what you think! ^_^

^_^

Joe.

I have had their train simulator(now Train Simulator 2015) for a number of years and have seen the company go through a unfortunate change. The company started as awesome small business once they became independent from Kuju and EA, they were keen on accuracy/value. Over the past few years, their DLC has become more bug ridden(often not fixed) and offering less for ever dollar as times goes on. They have also reduced their communication with the community which is something I admired in the earlier days of railsimulator(company name before the recent change to DoveTail).

I hope for the better as they begin to dive into the world of flight sim. As a "simulator" based company they will definitely value flight simulation as a genre and continue to develop it. If they do in fact create their own product I imagine it will be the same model as Microsoft Flight(reminds me of their current business model for TS2015). Granted they do have a good relationship with 3rd party developers for TS2015, so maybe that will be the silver-lining.

Sorry if I seem cynical but my this is my opinion after my personal experiences.

^_^

Basically, MS Flight, stripped of passion and authenticity.

Well, basically, DTG did the exact opposite with MSTS(Kuju).... With their Railworks/Train Simulator franchise they seem to pretty much know what the're doing... Why not with MSFlight ?... Will they fall into the same trap that made a laughing stock out of MSFlight ?  As we say here in Holland " a donkey never hurts itself on the same stone "...

For me, being a pixel pilot for more than a quarter of century, the most wonderful and immersive virtual flying experience did not happen in FSX or FS9, nore in any FS itterations before that. It happend in MSFlight ! 

I, for one, can't wait to see what DTG will surprise us with regarding a second take-off of MSFlight. Knowing what they did with the Kuju TS i'd say we might have something to look forward too. ( basically Boeings and Airbuses are nothing but trains with wings, aren't they...  :BigGrin:  )  

cheers,
jan  :hi: 

Jan

They said they will be developing something from Microsoft's flight technology, not from Flight technology.

This means anything from using FS9's engine, their Combat Sim's engine to Flight's engine. Pure speculation at this stage!

Maybe even a combined Train & Flying sim? With a bit of shooting thrown in for fun?

Methinks that this kind of speculation is just as valid as previously discussed thoughts.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

With regards to the title of this thread

NOT MUCH!!!!

FS seems to me to have ended with FSX.

I have P3D but not XP so my experience is limited to FSX and P3D.

FSX is a 'REALLY' great program. P3D cannot touch (not even close) FSX in the configuration I use - Period!!!

FSX is a 'REALLY' great program. P3D cannot touch (not even close) FSX in the configuration I use - Period!!!

Can you articulate why you find FSX superior to P3Dv2.4

Given the amount of bug fixes and improvements to the code P3D should give you a much better experiance than FSX.

What is it about your configuration that makes FSX better?

just curious...

Yes I can :)

I have a full Flight Simulator Centre home cockpit. I have no need for vc's, this shadow, that shadow etc.

With my current settings, no matter what I do with P3D (Bear in mind I run 3 projectors each displaying a separate view, off a separate PC, creating a 210 degree panoramic display) the program stutters.

FSX runs as 'good as gold' - I can go on and on and on...

But I tell you now, my simulator is as smooth as they come!

Smooth it might be, but the popping autogen is still there. Different strokes for different folks.

Anyway, it sounds like a great setup. Have a nice weekend!

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Well, basically, DTG did the exact opposite with MSTS(Kuju).... With their Railworks/Train Simulator franchise they seem to pretty much know what the're doing... Why not with MSFlight ?... Will they fall into the same trap that made a laughing stock out of MSFlight ?  As we say here in Holland " a donkey never hurts itself on the same stone "...

For me, being a pixel pilot for more than a quarter of century, the most wonderful and immersive virtual flying experience did not happen in FSX or FS9, nore in any FS itterations before that. It happend in MSFlight ! 

I, for one, can't wait to see what DTG will surprise us with regarding a second take-off of MSFlight. Knowing what they did with the Kuju TS i'd say we might have something to look forward too. ( basically Boeings and Airbuses are nothing but trains with wings, aren't they...  :BigGrin:  )  

cheers,

jan  :hi:

Thanks! This is what I meant! I'd say, a lot of people are being to critical about this topic. Half of them aren't necessarily answering the question I asked. Well, happy flying! ^_^ ^_^ ^_^

Joe.

close the beta test http://www.saitek.com/uk/blog/index.php/interested-in-beta-testing/

facebook saitek 

Thanks to everyone who submitted an application to be a beta tester! Registration is now closed and successful applicants will be notified.

https://www.facebook.com/SaitekProFlight?fref=ts

CASE: Cooler Master MasterBox Lite 5 MB: Msi Z590 Tomahawk CPU: Intel i7 11700K RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 2400 MHz COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 120 HD: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB GPU: Nvidia (Asus A8G) GTX 1080 PSU: Cooler Master V750 FAN: Cooler Master MasterFan Pro 120 Air Flow RGB (x4).

302318.png     Lorenzo Guidotti

The technology that DTG have access too, is MSTS V2.which was abandoned by MS. This tech was what MS Flight was based on.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Other than Microsoft and DoveTail, no one knows  what DoveTail can or cannot do.