Sign in to follow this  
~Craig~

Further FSX and FSX:SE benchmark test

I disagree that "its a waste of money" (sic), if for no other reason than the fact that it is essentially a one pass installation, instead of a half-day nightmare of installing three DVD's worth of files, then having to install yet another DVD to update to Acceleration...

...then chase down all of the "tweaks and fixes" to make it maybe work.

Oh yes, in case no one has noticed, FSX:SE has already been silently updated twice since release.

Yes it is.

Well OK I withdraw that statement. I often forget that installation of FSX is a one-day work. I'm glad to see that updates are already being shipped and I'm looking forward to test it for myself. But one should think that a flightsim which we could push the boundaries of VAS usage even longer, would end in eureka comments from everyone  :lol: Or maybe its just me.

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

How now? Where are all the DTG sucks, why buy something you already own, etc.........

A reminder of the first rule: Keep an open mind!  :blush:

Lets hope we all remember that while awaiting whatever DTG has up their sleeve for next year.  :smile:

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

As much as I don't like Dovetail/Steam concept, they must have changed something, because now I'm getting above 200+ fps framerates (stock) with everything maxed out and at 1440p resolution.

As much as I don't like Dovetail/Steam concept, they must have changed something, because now I'm getting above 200+ fps framerates (stock) with everything maxed out and at 1440p resolution.

Could simply being run through a modern compiler be enough to explain some of that?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

why buy something you already own, etc.........

Here I am. Still using my MS FSX and all my add-ons still work this morning. No waiting for re-worked installers or code.

Using DX 9, not getting any OOMs, excellent FPS, no tweaking being done, just hours of enjoyable flying.

Here I am. Still using my MS FSX and all my add-ons still work this morning. No waiting for re-worked installers or code.

Using DX 9, not getting any OOMs, excellent FPS, no tweaking being done, just hours of enjoyable flying.

Judging from all of the posts with various problems (and tweaks to fix same) over the years that fill these forums to tha' brim, your experience might be slightly atypical.

For those having problems, and who spend just as much time tweaking as flying, an FSX that "just works" is surely worth 5$ isn't it?

(13$ now)

Devons rig

Judging from all of the posts with various problems (and tweaks to fix same) over the years that fill these forums to tha' brim, your experience might be slightly atypical.

For those having problems, and who spend just as much time tweaking as flying, an FSX that "just works" is surely worth 5$ isn't it?

(13$ now)

I don't see anyone having trouble today.

I don't see anyone tweaking today.

You asked where all the "why buys" are at and I let you know: they're all out enjoying their MS FSX installs, so keep an open mind to that.

The frame rate seems a little low, but if you're happy...

Skorna's negativity is even starting to get me down, and I'm no stranger to pushing back against the newest fad myself! :mellow:

I don't see anyone having trouble today.

I don't see anyone tweaking today.

You asked where all the "why buys" are at and I let you know: they're all out enjoying their MS FSX installs, so keep an open mind to that.

It was never closed!  :lol:

At the appropriate time after I've finished experimenting with P3D, I will buy FSX Steam Edition to go alongside Rise of Flight, X-plane X, DCS, FLIGHT, War Thunder, FS9, and all of the many other softwares I've had the pleasure of experiencing over the years.

All still installed lovingly on my HD.

Devons rig

Skorna's negativity is even starting to get me down, and I'm no stranger to pushing back against the newest fad myself! :mellow:

Not a single negative comment has been posted. HiFlier asked where we were and I let him know.

At the appropriate time after I've finished experimenting with P3D, I will buy FSX Steam Edition to go alongside Rise of Flight, X-plane X, DCS, FLIGHT, War Thunder, FS9, and all of the many other softwares I've had the pleasure of experiencing over the years.

Fantastic!

Enjoying LOD 8.5

Me too, with no OOMs!!

Me too, on FSX:SE.  :smile:

Not sure why an experience like the above has to be mutually exclusive to one of the sims....  Let's face it, there are people who run MS FSX great, and others who have nightmares, same goes for P3D2, X-Plane 10, etc, etc.

But the important thing, is not what platform you're using Jim, but that you're having fun!! :smile: ... a lot of people on these FSX / FSX:SE threads seem to have forgotten that that's what it's all about.

Could simply being run through a modern compiler be enough to explain some of that?

What was recompiled? FSX.exe or some dlls? if that is the case , can't we just copy/paste patch some of the improvments to FSX, and forgot the Steam stuff?

But the important thing, is not what platform you're using Jim, but that you're having fun!! :smile: ... a lot of people on these FSX / FSX:SE threads seem to have forgotten that that's what it's all about.

Don't tell the P3D people that!